Hippa to da Hoppa, you just don't stoppa
  • Bought Lupe Fiasco's new album. Out today. So far so good.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Started listening to that without realising I had rdio on shuffle, made for uneven listening. Will try again on another day. Sounded a little too drake for my liking, but will give it a second chance.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Also, on the pile of things I haven't got to yet is a new Sadat X album. Very interested to hear how that voice has aged.
  • Been listening to the first (I think) Das Racist mix (the free one), some Erik B & Rakim and last year's RA the Rugged Man album at work today and yesterday.  Sit Down Man and Legends Never Die are both albums with their fair share of tracks I don't like, but I still find myself listening to both quite regularly.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

I've always liked Kool AD. 

He held Das Racis up on his jays'.
    Doesn't take it at all serious, but his flow is nice.

Very much alternative.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Facewon wrote:
    Also, on the pile of things I haven't got to yet is a new Sadat X album. Very interested to hear how that voice has aged.

Voice sounds exactly the same.

Forget how much he and Pharoah sound the same.

Album is mega 90s throwback. Some AWESOME 90s beats, but also has skits/sadat talking crap about stuff. So 90s all the way. Album needs an edit and a half.

There's a good solid half dozen bangers though.

• I did love a bit of Brand Nubian 20 years ago.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    This dude is new to me.

Very good lyricist...

• Chris Rock has made a movie about this very thing, called Top Five. It's been out in the US but not sure when/if it's getting released outside of it yet. Worth keeping an eye on.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Been listening to some fantastic 'new' stuff recently (it's new to me at least, bring so out if touch with current hiphop):
    Sage Francis, B Dolan, Busdriver and Open Mike Eagle - all of whoms recent releases shit on anything else I've heard in the 'genre recently.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I bought a Sage Francis album a couple of years ago. I didn't get on with it although it's the sort of thing I usually like. Might check this one out.
  • Copper Gone is really fucking good. It's apparently more trad 'hiphop' than previous releases.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Chris Rock has made a movie about this very thing, called Top Five. It's been out in the US but not sure when/if it's getting released outside of it yet. Worth keeping an eye on.

Potential spoiler then? http://rateyourmusic.com/list/tha_flu/chris_rocks_top_25_hip_hop_albums/

Old article (2004), but I worked through it several years back and it's a decent selection.

Edit - I forget if we're talking albums or mc's tbh
  • Both at different stages. I just use this as the hip hop thread myself.
  • Speaking of which. Ta-ku. Dilla disciple.

Has a double album of beats from 2012 which is a tribute thing. It's lovely.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

I'm too good to you mofos...
  • I've been doing an Eminem 'project' at work (basically, listening to all his proper albums with a mate over the course of a couple of weeks). I have review scores for each, plus a few opinions. Anyone care to shoot the shit about MM's career? Can type some stuff up later. Crikey I hated Relapse.
  • Have never listened to it.

First 2 were amazing, especially at the time. Third was still strong, but the shtick was wearing thin.

8 mile is a solid film, lose yourself is a banger. Then who cares for a few years. Mm2 is amazing.
  • Hey!  They were my notes goddammit.
  • As long as he keep rapping about faggots and bitches, he can fuck off as far as I'm concerned, no matter how great a lyricist he is and flow he has. A dinosaur in wolves clothing.

Wake up fuckwit, it's 2015.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

How did I manage to sleep on these dudes?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Man... Action Bronson bodies beats...
  • Scores on the doors, why not:

• Infinite (1996) [6.5]
    • The Slim Shady LP (1999) – [8]
    • The Marshall Mathers LP (2000) [8]
    • The Eminem Show (2002) [7.5]
    • Encore (2004) [6]
    • Relapse (2009) [5]
    • Recovery (2010) [4]
    • The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (2013) [7]

(I meant Recovery earlier, not Relapse. I disliked both, but Recovery was the one I hated).

Also, can someone recommend me an Eric B & Rakim album other than Paid in Full please. PiF has crept up on me over the last month or so, I've had it for years. It's excellent. I've recognised homages in Eminem and Jurassic 5 albums, I'm assuming Rakim could be described as a 'rapper's rapper'? My knowldge on them is limited.

• Paid in Full is rising rapidly up my all-time list.  Everything is right about it.
  • I always liked Don't Sweat the Technique, especially for the title track and 'Know the Ledge' (which is also on the OST for 'Juice'). There's a couple of cheesy songs on there too, but it's a quality album.

Then again, they're all worth a go.
  • JonB wrote:
    I always liked Don't Sweat the Technique, especially for the title track and 'Know the Ledge' (which is also on the OST for 'Juice'). There's a couple of cheesy songs on there too, but it's a quality album.

Yes. Also has 'The Punisher' and 'Casualties of war' on it. Ironically, the best Eric B & Rakim album I've got is an 18 track 'Best of' that I got as a bonus disc with Rakims debut solo album, which is terrible.
  • I've ordered Don't Sweat the Technique, and a colleague is bringing me Follow the Leader on Monday.
  • Gremill wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    I always liked Don't Sweat the Technique, especially for the title track and 'Know the Ledge' (which is also on the OST for 'Juice'). There's a couple of cheesy songs on there too, but it's a quality album.

Yes. Also has 'The Punisher' and 'Casualties of war' on it. Ironically, the best Eric B & Rakim album I've got is an 18 track 'Best of' that I got as a bonus disc with Rakims debut solo album, which is terrible.

I went there too. A couple of listenable ones on the main but it was the bonus disc that got the most plays.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Kano's new singles are fucking full yes!
    Hail
    New Banger
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Gremill wrote:
    As long as he keep rapping about faggots and bitches, he can fuck off as far as I'm concerned, no matter how great a lyricist he is and flow he has. A dinosaur in wolves clothing.

Wake up fuckwit, it's 2015.

Granted he takes it to next level, but it's not like he's Robinson Crusoe when it comes to homophobia in hip hop.

Likewise misogyny.

Ghostface has two albums out this year, both have facepalm bad tracks about women. And el-p dances around homophobic lyrics on a lot of his tracks, IMO.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I listen to em and struggle, and wish he would wake up also, but there's an awful lot of mcs I enjoy who have glaring holes in their world view. Kanye Springs to mind. Ra the rugged man also. Talib and mos are bang on about a lot of things, IMO, but even mos falls into some fluffy intellectual ground on occasion.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!