Hippa to da Hoppa, you just don't stoppa
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Need to keep this 5 track thing going...

Like the scheme behind this one:

Taken a shine to this track:

May or may not have rocked this before... Paul Barman is sick:

The Alchemists...:

Obligatory Primo:

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Catching up again, Jon's mix done. Boogie Down Bronx is now opening my weekly email playlist, loved it. Tuff Crew track was great too, and it's impossible not to smile at 'jeep ass niguh'.
  • Nice work with the Nothin' but a G Thang section halfway through.
  • NEW ROYCE ALBUM ALERT.

First listen says it's stronger than pryme 2 and layers.

His usual amazing bars, but so far highlight is track called cocaine.

Also, em line on catapillar "my shit is real like I pooped Jerusalem." in the middle of some other fire. Amazing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Heh, youtube rabbithole, budden had a crack at Eminem....
    Mandatory diss record back....

• Book of Ryan is phenomenal. Explain that Em line to me, Face.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • My shit isreal like I pooped Jerusalem.
  • Got it
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Gambino's new video is incredible:

• That is utterly electric and brilliant.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Haven’t watched the video yet, but all the hype on twitter about that led me to listen to the song on the way into work. This is the first time I’ve ever heard Childish Gambino.

I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that. I think the song is ok, but I’m far more impressed by the production than anything else about it. So, thinking that maybe there’s more to this guy than I first thought, I started to listen to his last album - “Awake, My Love!”.

HOLY SHIT. Absolutely love it. Like someone broke into my brain and recorded almost everything I love about funk and soul.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Have watched the video now. Utterly brilliant, shocking and clever.
  • Gambino decided to make each album unique and a different sound. So Awake, My Love! is different to Because the Internet and Camp etc.

He is a fantastic artist.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The video is well produced but I can't help but feel like if you take the 2 scenes out where he shoots the dude and the choir that the video doesn't seem to have much in it that would make people spaff all over this but not any other well produced video. I'mho and all that. Even those two scenes are so on the nose in the context of the song that their inclusion doesn't seem like a super creative move anyway.

Song is well produced but the stark clash in tone without the video behind it is whack in isolation as an audio only thing imho ymmv etc etc. Unless Gambino about to try come round and tell me this an art piece not a straight up music video.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I don't mind the song, and I like the message... It's timely.

Especially with what's happening here in London, and what's been happening in Chicago for a long time now...

And I think the video is aight'...

Kinda reminds me of the one that made Tyler the Creator so famous... It's not one of the all time great videos, but you'd remember it enough to watch it again.

I think the idea is that it's high brow enough to make the Facetube class (I made that one up...) think a bit, and discuss a subject that needs a lot of attention right now.
  • Roujin wrote:
    The video is well produced but I can't help but feel like if you take the 2 scenes out where he shoots the dude and the choir that the video doesn't seem to have much in it that would make people spaff all over this but not any other well produced video. I'mho and all that. Even those two scenes are so on the nose in the context of the song that their inclusion doesn't seem like a super creative move anyway. Song is well produced but the stark clash in tone without the video behind it is whack in isolation as an audio only thing imho ymmv etc etc. Unless Gambino about to try come round and tell me this an art piece not a straight up music video.

I dare say the audio is supposed to be really low key and repeating of words as it's his reflection of what hip-hop/rap is in the mainstream; just pointless words with a heavy beat. And then it goes hand in hand with the video as it doesn't matter what is happening to black people in America, just focus on the funky dancing black man in front of you instead.

Things like the gun being given better treatment by being wrapped in a silk cloth and carried away, than the black guy killer who is unceremoniously just dragged off is fantastically portrayed. There is a lot to unpack in the video by someone more intelligent than I.
  • ALSO - Please do watch Atlanta. It's a brilliant show highlighting what being black is like in America for a range of different black people.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    I dare say the audio is supposed to be really low key and repeating of words as it's his reflection of what hip-hop/rap is in the mainstream; just pointless words with a heavy beat.

Yep. That's where I think this one is going. Go on to Rap Genius, and a lot of people think it's facing out to the state, and police racism... It partially is, but part of me thinks it's a cultural introspective...

I mean, it's not Gambino's usual sound for a start... Trap choruses and shit...
    He's mocking that vibe.

Disclaimer - Not his biggest fan, but I'll give any rapper who doesn't focus on guns, drugs and fashion a chance.
  • I'm a big Gambino fan.

But yeah I think that's the juxtaposition - the soundscape of black Amercia ("100 bands 100 bands 100 bands, contraband contraband contraband") in the charts compared to the reality of the issues they face.

I dunno, part of me isn't massively comfortable trying to figure it out being a middle class white dude from England and all.
  • There's a lot of reference in the video that add up to more than the two "shock" scenes I think. All or most of the dances are either from vines or popular trap/rap/hip hop songs, the face he pulls at the start is apparently a reference to a Black character who believes he's white from The Boondocks? His trousers are meant to be confederate soldier wear, the main guy in the choir is supposed to (and does) look like Jordan Peele... I think when it's all added up it definitely feels coherent and well thought out. Having watched it multiple times I think the more disconcerting parts are his swings between dissatisfaction and minstrel behaviour that's getting to the core of issues he might have with black entertainers in modern day America. The way he shifts between all sorts of dances and aggressive stances and walking really disconcerts me, it's definitely saying something the way America is happy to treat folk like Kanye as one of the best modern artists but still have huge issues with the way it treats black people. 

Having listened to the track whilst doing other stuff, I think it's really good too apart from the pause for him lighting a joint, which is something I can't really criticise as it's by no means unique to this video. So for me, it totally works as separate and combined pieces. I think it's real clever.
  • See I needed someone more clever like Tempy to drop some knowledge.
  • I dunno man, I imagine you know way more about this stuff, these are just my reckons plus what I've read others state.

Luckily Ira Madison is here to talk about it too

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-childish-gambinos-this-is-america-indicts-and-challenges-its-audience
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Here's a Twitter thread that's interesting too. Shows still frames and explains what's going on.

Thread
  • Nina wrote:
    Here's a Twitter thread that's interesting too. Shows still frames and explains what's going on.

Thread

Yeah, that’s a good read. There’s a lot going on in that vid - like others I’m really pleased to hear hip hop with actual content that isn’t just about drugs, guns and sex so this hits all my buttons.
  • Catching up with dynamite's mix from the top of the page.  Almost a full house of 'never heard of' going in, as ever, other than DJ Premier (and maybe Blu, but only if I've listened in here).  Flatbush Zombies track was v.good, would've liked to have headphones on for this one, but I'm plugged into a couple of those mini speakers instead.  "I smell I smell pussy!" is probably always going to make me laugh.  Bishop Nehru was interesting, I thought maybe the jazz backing couldn't done with being less repetitive, which is odd thing to say for the a hip hop track but I think when its twinned with jazz I like it to stretch its legs a bit more.  Will definitely check out more Paul Barman, enjoyed that one.  Any tips on full albums?  Blu also good, deep bass loops and slow raps are usually agreeable - not sold on the direction of the second half of the track but it's earned a second listen, will have another go later.  DJ Premier was solid but this one didn't grab me.  

More please.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Flatbush Zombies track was v.good, would've liked to have headphones on for this one, but I'm plugged into a couple of those mini speakers instead.  "I smell I smell pussy!" is probably always going to make me laugh.

Key thing about that track, is that the every line in every verse is a tribute to 90's rap.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Will definitely check out more Paul Barman, enjoyed that one.  Any tips on full albums?

Any Paul Barman album is worth a spin. And you're in luck...
    He's just dropped a new one. Echo Chamber. It's hard to find snippets on Youtube though, so if you kop it, a review would be nice...

In the meantime though Thought Balloon Mushroom Cloud... As conceptual, underground rap goes, it's a stand out. And some of the cameos are welcome surprises. It gives you a sense of the respect Barman has amongst rappers themselves, though not in the mainstream.

He's a contemporary of Eminem, and arguably much, much more talented, but image is everything...

It's also ironic how Eminem calls on Master Ace as his main idol, but MC Paul Barman and Ace were essentially mates for years...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Flatbush Zombies track was v.good, would've liked to have headphones on for this one, but I'm plugged into a couple of those mini speakers instead.  "I smell I smell pussy!" is probably always going to make me laugh.
    Key thing about that track, is that the every line in every verse is a tribute to 90's rap.

Giving it extra listens, trying to pick them out.  Quality. 

Couldn't go as high as £13.08 for the latest Paul Barman, so I bought Pallelujah for £4, partly because Pitchfork gave it an amusing 2.0.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You'll get plenty of mileage out of that album too, once you hear a line or two, and run through Rap Genius with it...
  • He's a contemporary of Eminem, and arguably much, much more talented, but image is everything... It's also ironic how Eminem calls on Master Ace as his main idol, but MC Paul Barman and Ace were essentially mates for years...

Slow your roll.

;)

Still though, nabbing some albums to listen to, good shout.

Also, that Bishop beat is lovely.

Also Also, After more listens, Royce album is now basically fighting Monae for AOTY honours. It's clearly his most consistent full length and only has couple of weak spots in a long tracklisting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!