Stuff for "Creatives" and whatnot..
  • I don't believe this. One of our clients - a high-end fashion retailer - has just put an animated GIF of spinning, shiny text on their website to promote a sale. They then asked me to update something so the main image on the home page can also be one. I've yet to see what that is, but I'm waiting with bated breath.
  • AJ wrote:
    I don't believe this. One of our clients - a high-end fashion retailer - has just put an animated GIF of spinning, shiny text on their website to promote a sale. They then asked me to update something so the main image on the home page can also be one. I've yet to see what that is, but I'm waiting with bated breath.

Missed this, somehow. An animated GIF of "spinning, shiny text"? Really? Have I fallen through a time-fracture and landed in 1998?

Gobsmacked. Amazed anyone is still doing things like that.

In other news, today I will mostly be designing icons for a website. Mmmm, icons.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • I can believe this. I went on the website for a major fashion retailer today and they had a lovely and tasteful spinning sale sign, but no link to their AOL Instant Messenger account. Then I went and checked to see if they had a link on their MySpace but it turns out they don't even have one of those! Totes bizarre!
  • I love the odd mix of FUTURE and PAST you get when dealing with the fashion industry.

So on the button with some bits of tech and so far behind with others.

I spent some time with a diamond dealer today on my lunch break. Her website looks like a reject from Geocities in the days when Mosaic was your browser of choice. It actually doesn’t work at all on mobile – you literally can’t use the links. Yet she does most of her big-money business entirely from her mobile phone, Snapchatting videos of six and seven figure bits of jewellery to customers on the other side of the world before they make a choice and transfer money direct to her bank account.

Amazing.
  • A good comment on how a strong social media awareness is overtaking dedicated websites for many business'.
  • Can't sell in volume over social media, though. It's fine for expensive stuff, like the jewelry mentioned, but you don't want to be paying operators to sit there handling sales of DVDs.
  • Oh for sure, it won't replace those type of sites.
    I think places should still have a site as well, even if just to redirect to social media.
  • Anyhow.
    I have been doing some modeling partly for the joy of it, partly to build something of a Turbosquid library of stock models.
    Here is a baby walker.
    PNBzvMF.jpg
  • Nice. I believe there’s money to be made selling stock models for Turbosquid. Unless my info is out of date, which it might be.
  • Cheers, and congrats on the engagement.
    There can be but most wont make anything.
    I have had a shit Bacardi bottle on there for years which someone buys once every 6 months.

Strategy seems to be to be the go to person for a particular thing and that thing have a market. Some people will do beer bottles, others ikea furniture etc.
    The gap I noticed is in good quality toys and other kids stuff that would populate arch viz for playrooms, schools etc. So focusing on that. There are tons of lego men and super soakers but little an architect would want to put in a high end visual.

A lot of people who complain that there isn't money to be made either aren't good enough or expect a decent salary out if it from the off. Or they over price their models.
  • Suddenly I need to go to Govan after my morning coffee to check some blind debossing on press. Pain in the arse, but at least I get to go sniff printing ink for a few minutes. Don’t do enough print work these days.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hah- speaking of turbosquid work found a load of models they'd commissioned from a contractor on there. Paid them really well for the job, but it turns out they were selling assets they'd paid them to design for datacentres for the past three years. Cease and desist communications go unanswered, as do attempted shaky fists at turbo squid. I guess it helps if you're in China.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yeah, doubt you will get anywhere with Turbosquid.
  • Just watching Restoration Man some insurance broker and his chintzy wife have bought an absolutely stunning art deco water tower.

Every idea they have is retarded. They want to pull out the original staircase and lift, then build the lift on the outside.
    They have described their vision as deco outside, footballers wife inside.

People like this shouldn't be allowed nice things.
  • People shouldn't be allowed nice things.

Generally, I find this to be more the case...
  • Its good to share. Just put a few more bits up on my Behance.
    Would love to see some other Badger work.

https://www.behance.net/BenLathwell
  • Got something in the works I am excited about as well. A non-commissioned commercial bit inspired by Toxic Schizophrenia by Tim Noble and Sue Webster.
    Inspiration below.
    toxic_schizo_1997A.jpg
  • Some nice work there Ben. Loving the Urban Mantra packaging!
  • Cheers mate. Tbh I forgot how long ago it was between updates.
  • I have been horribly neglectful of Behance. Signed up to The Dots, but not sure all these portfolio sites give any real benefits.
  • You have a site which is much more beneficial.

I use Behance purely for directing people to an online portfolio, I'm not convinced by the social media/community side of them at all.
  • I do think we designers fall into the trap of designing primarily for one another sometimes. Behance, Dribbble et al certainly haven't helped to cure that tendency.
  • Genuine conversation with client this morning:

Client: We need a booklet to be designed and printed. Attached is the text. Thanks!

Me: No problem. What's the deadline, specs and brief?

Client: Has to be with the printer on Friday. Thanks!

Me: Wait a sec. This Friday? As in 2 days time??

Client: Yeah. Will that be a problem?

Me: No, I can push some other work aside and get it done, but it'll be tight. Can I have the specs (ideal page count etc.), brief and any other content (e.g. images/logos etc.) asap please so I can get started?

Client: It needs to be on nice paper. We haven't got any images, can you find some? And we'd like it to be square.

Me: ...

I kid you not, that's my entire brief. I don't even have a size to work to. They're a lovely client and great payers, but holy cow I think we're going to have to have a chat about 'how to brief' after this one.
  • Step one: Write your own brief.

Step two: Send brief to client for approval before starting work.

Step three: Shit! Only got one day left to design it now!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Its good to share. Just put a few more bits up on my Behance. Would love to see some other Badger work. https://www.behance.net/BenLathwell

The luxury dressing room piece is awesome. :]

You're using Cinema 4D for everything now?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I'll share some bits later as I recently updated the showreel
  • @pop I've gone the "I'm assuming creative freedom on this or it ain't getting done" route. Client has agreed. Still got to create, proof, amend and get print-ready what looks to be a 48pp or 52pp booklet in two days.

Eek!
  • @Dyno
    Cheers mate.
    I use cinema and Max these days, still prefer Max though.

@Jaco
    Bet you end up redoing the project
  • A company I used to work for just blogged about their latest pack design for some moisturizer or some junk.

What a load a drivel.
    82% of women make their purchasing decisions at the point of purchase, so we knew we had to give the packaging real stand out on shelf. We heroed the logo in Sanctuary Spa's signature orange to link with its much-loved bodycare range and simplified the communication hierarchy to facilitate the decision-making process. We identified colours for each sub-range within skincare and used a soft gradient to enhance the sensorial nature of Sanctuary Spa's products.
  • Jaco wrote:
    @pop I've gone the "I'm assuming creative freedom on this or it ain't getting done" route. Client has agreed. Still got to create, proof, amend and get print-ready what looks to be a 48pp or 52pp booklet in two days. Eek!

Get off the forum and do some work then, slacker.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!