Stuff for "Creatives" and whatnot..
  • Can’t say I’ve read it in the last 10–15 years.
  • Likely the problem.

I used to have a browse on the site when I remembered.
  • The thing about industry magazines is that people used to buy them for the job ads. No need for that nowadays. Which leaves only agencies buying them, not reading them, to leave out on the reception coffee table. And when money gets tight, those agency subscriptions are an easy thing to cut.
  • Covid and work from home will have fucked that too.
  • I’d certainly not claim to be a ‘proper’ designer as everything I’ve done has been self-taught, but can happily meddle in the Adobe Creative suite to produce something that looks alright and have worked in roles where I’ve been the one responsible for corporate publications and general printing.

Anyhoo, it means I’ve got an interest in design so subscribed to Creative Review for a bit as it’s always interesting to see what’s going on across their pages - stopped it when they jacked the price up considerably once they’d decided they could do so as they’d made all their old back catalogue available online as a part of the cost.

Just looked again now, and it’s £280 a year for access which includes the physical copy of four print issues a year (including the Annual Awards issue)…£200 for digital only - not entirely sure where I’m going with this other than not being surprised some have struggled.
  • Guessing if their market was diluted down to studios and offices over individuals they thought they could get away with it. £280 for a studio isn't much.

Not sure its the best choice mind.

The only sub I have had in recent years is Juxtapoz. That comes in at about £50 for 4 issues spread across the year, no digital though but what is on their site is free.
  • Get yer kilts on fellas! There's apparently going to be dancing in the streets!

g3i4UVO.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've downloaded "Scottish People Pack 4" and I'm damn well gonna use it.
  • hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I find it odd to do renders of a retail redevelopment then show the retail units as all vacant.
    If it was me, and for many years it was me, I'd have put some stuff in the windows and some general blocks of colour to indicate signage.

I'd have at least masked that massive white window on the right with someone tossing the caber.
  • The team who did this aren’t really bothered about details. They’re more academics than actual architects who deliver projects. So treat this as a ‘vision statement’ the City Council probably paid them to draw up, rather than something that will actually happen.
  • Put your kilt away g.
  • The dearth of ambition is pretty fucking depressing though. Imagine the meetings presenting that.

“Right lads. We commissioned you for some blue-sky thinking. Take one of Glasgow’s most well-kent landmarks and wow us with your vision for it in the future.”

“Okay. Hold on to your sporrans. This is great. What we propose you should do is … get ready, it’ll blow your minds … you should paint the shop fronts in some nice colours!.”

“Okay. I’m with you. What else?”

“Erm … maybe put up some of those coloured LED lights?”

“Hmmm. And what will this do for the people of Glasgow? How will it turn around the fortunes of this busy, central meeting point that’s gotten a bit run down and gives our city a bad name?”

“It’ll make them want to jump into the road and start dancing!”

“You do know this is a busy taxi route, yes?”
  • Im not familiar but had a look on streetview. Its dingy as all fuck. I reckon they've got hung up on that without considering or having the knowledge of any other issues.
  • Main thing is you dont lose such culturally iconic shops as "King of Bling"
  • The architects live in Glasgow. They should know better. Or they’re taking the piss. That’s possible.
  • Yeah, the clues are there.
    Takeaways, taxi pick ups, station. Gonna guess at least 3 nights a week its full of drunk people, not dancing but dropping shit everywhere.
    Id say unless you are going to build something else then embrace that. Lots of bins, set aside a couple of units to convert into public toilets, booth things, you know the type that prevent them becoming places to shoot up.

That presentation looks like either high end or indie, crafty type retailers but they wont setup somewhere where they have to step over puddles of piss every morning. There are also better units nearby just looking around a bit but its the same old high street drudgery occupying them.
  • There’s good stuff under there too. Front door to legendary club The Arches, now long since shut down and reopened as a street food and beer space called Platform. That’s hiding behind the shop fronts.

And Tickets Scotland, which is the box office for every gig in the city.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!