Stuff for "Creatives" and whatnot..
  • This might just be the greatest thing I've ever seen.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Thought i would ask on here as I know some of you are self employed. 

Just doing the dreaded tax return - I should really get someone else to do these. For a project I did last year, I got some web work but was too busy to do it all myself, so got my web mate to do it, got paid and passed on his chunk for doing the work.

On the tax return, am I right in thinking I declare the amount paid by the client and then the amount paid to my mate as expenses?
  • Yeah, he’d go down as subcontractor expenses, iirc. Although it’s been a while since I did a return as for the last couple of years I’ve had an accountant. Always save me more than they cost.
  • (Figured this belonged in here too:)

Crikey, chaps and chapettes, the new Empire 'Captain Marvel' subscriber cover is a bit tasty.
  • It’s really nice, isn’t it? One of the first by their new art director.
  • Ah, that explains it. New AD landing with a whallop.
  • Very unusual for a brand to let the design obscure it to that extent. Brilliant.
    Doesn't even suffer either it's still very recognisable.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Subscriber only though, so it won't be appearing on the stands.
  • Yup, subscriber covers always drop the magazine branding. I'm a big fan of that.
  • Fucksake.
    Stuck with one of those clients that endlessly tweaks shit. I will bill them for all of it but by fuck am I fed up of changing the same thing over and over again.
    It's not like I'm an artworker or produce anything permanent.
    They are just visuals for a popup event. Hyper accuracy really isn't that important.

Told them I could do tweaks this evening and they have sent a phonebook of amends through. Told them it will have to wait until I am free on Wednesday. I've already worked over the weekend for them.
  • Well, you should've done it right first time.
  • Yeah I forgot to put my mind reading hat on.
    It's my fault really.
  • Black Polo-neck jumper, black rimmed glasses, mind reading hat. The essential kit for a creative.
  • They've suggested sending a priority list of amends but frankly I'm fed up with it now.

It's the type of shitty stuff that if there wasn't a deadline would go on until the end of time.
  • I’m sensing a huge rush fee / moron client fee may be in their future...
  • Already upped my day rate for them last time, didnt ask, they didnt even notice.
    Its a cool company with interesting projects but its all pitch work, I hate pitch work because it's always tight deadlines and a sense that everyone is shitting themselves.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I hate pitch work because it's always tight deadlines and a sense that everyone is shitting themselves.

Accurate.
  • Anyhoo.
    I've negotiated the work down to something manageable at least.
  • poprock wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    I hate pitch work because it's always tight deadlines and a sense that everyone is shitting themselves.

Accurate.

Soconded / thirded.

• Just had this conversation.

Client: "I don't like that blue"
    Me: "It's your secondary corporate colour, from your brand guidelines"
    Client: "I don't like it, use another colour"
    Me: "The only other colour in your brand is the yellow – which we've already used. If we make what's blue into yellow, then everything will be yellow and there won't be any contrast. We need to use the secondary brand colour in this instance..."
    Client: "I don't think you're solution-focussed enough. Just make it work."

They are going to be getting a rather large invoice.
  • Painful.

How much do you wanna bet it ends up being that blue?
  • I’d bet all the money. Because as soon as the brand team sees it they’ll throw a wobbler. Needless to say I’m now speaking to the brand guardian to try and get it sorted at their end...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bananaman won't be happy when he finds out.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hahaha, first thing I do when I walk into a firm is ask for branding guidelines document. I was pretty tickled though when at Moss that the colours would be given in RGB, CMYK, and ?ColSatHue? but anyway, so many of the colours turned out to be completely different when viewed on something like Palleton. Not being a designer, is that an ok website to use for a colour wheel and to grab colours from values?? Or would you guys recommend somewhere better?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Use the Photoshop colour palette to give you hex values if that's what you are after, or there's the art directors toolkit app that will do the same.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a billion websites that did the same.
  • Don’t trust any website to convert colours for you. Ever.

Like panty says, use the Photoshop colour picker for a decent machine approximation. But if you want to do it properly, you need a set of physical colour books to hand so that you can make comparisons by eye. Your vision is better than any computer algorithm, whatever the app developers try and tell you.
  • poprock wrote:
    Your vision is better than any computer algorithm, whatever the app developers try and tell you.

Yes. This. If it looks wrong, it's wrong.
  • Not with my eyes.
    Good job rgb values will do in my game.
  • poprock wrote:
    Don’t trust any website to convert colours for you. Ever.

To clarify, that’s because they’re all written by web developers who haven’t got the faintest clue about colour matching. They mean well, but they generally don’t know what they’re doing.

Screens ain’t paper, or ink, or paint. Projected light is fundamentally different to reflected light.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!