Super Mario Super Thread
  • Someone implied there was more to it a few pages ago (or at least that's how I took it). I don't want to go back and check in case it was less cryptic than I remember. I have high hopes that something clever happens to up the difficulty, whilst changing the game enough to make the prospect of a second playthrough enticing.
  • I don't think it'll be a surprise, it's standard now for Nintendo to add more stars/make the levels different and replayable after you've gotten all the 'standard' stars.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I just finished the world with the previously mentioned speed pad level. Great level, as are the other stages in that world. I really dont understand why Nintendo insist on hanging a few worlds of simple mostly joyless and challenge-less worlds before letting their creative minds loose on the later levels. 

Like Vela, I hope I'm 45% of the way through and not 90%. According to the Edge review, it's not going to be quite the same as 3DLand, but good anyway.
  • Just 'finished' it.

I'll go back and try and collect all the stars and stickers, now.

Really enjoyed it, playing it put a smile on my face, which is rare these days.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    ...the limited spaces and funneled gameplay has given me the desire to find everything.

I always want to find everything, limited spaces or not. The problem I have with 3D World, so far, is that I have barely had to make an effort to find the stars and stamps. I'm on what is possibly the final world and I'm missing just one star. The stages themselves and the platforming isn't challenging either until very late in the game.
  • For those thinking this is easy....

This game features the hardest level on any mario game ever. Genuinely. And getting everything in the final worlds is quite solid.
  • Harder than The Perfect Run?

Eeeeeeeeeeee!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I've bought my son super mario galaxy 2 for Christmas. He's really going to enjoy watching me play it.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    For those thinking this is easy.... This game features the hardest level on any mario game ever. Genuinely. And getting everything in the final worlds is quite solid.

Ok, but I still think it's stupid that we have to go through so many basic, simple, and if I'm brutally honest almost dull levels to get to the challenging levels!!

And when you say final worlds, do you mean after the credits? Because I'm on the final world.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nintendo never assume you have played a Mario game before - hence the easier early levels. It really is as simple as that. They are always hunting down new blood.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hmmm. I guess so. But why not do easy left to right levels but with hard collectibles and get rid of the gates that require certain stars to be collected?

I don't want to seem to be complaining you much. It might be because I really don't have that much time to play games much nowadays. So when I play, I want to be able to delve straight into the greatness. Like these later levels.... This game is absolutely brilliant. But once you hit the later levels!!!
  • OK, difficulty is now quite interesting and some of the Galaxy level difficulty and concept level imagination has returned.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Where you up to? Spoiler it if you need to. I'm on 
    Spoiler:

I'm only missing 3 stars at the moment. A few of the ones in this world were well hidden or slightly harder to get. The levels are definitely a big harder and very well designed.
  • Not sure if I'm that far, but I have all stars up to
    Spoiler:
  • One of my fave levels, that. I just beat the last boss. I'm missing just one star, the one I mentioned before.  Level 5-3, first star. Help? A small hint please, maybe. I've tried lots of times to find it. Funny thing is that it's a tiny level! Maybe a secret passage under where you start?! Dunno.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    One of my fave levels, that. I just beat the last boss. I'm missing just one star, the one I mentioned before.  Level 5-3, first star. Help? A small hint please, maybe. I've tried lots of times to find it. Funny thing is that it's a tiny level! Maybe a secret passage under where you start?! Dunno.

Small hint to follow
    Spoiler:
  • I can't see Nintendo making an ultra-hard standalone Mario title again. Perhaps there will be fiendish Year of the Toad dlc in 2014. Am I right in thinking this game gives you a handy power up box if you die on the same checkpoint a few times? Not that I've done this, it's just what I've heard. Honest.
  • Yep. Like in previous couple of Mario games. If you finish the level using it, it doesn't count as a proper completed level. 

They don't to make it ultra hard. Just not basic and simple and have at least a little bit of challenge. Don't see why it can only be piss easy so playable by 5 year olds, or ultra hard. Nintendo are dev veterans. I'm sure they can come up with balanced game.
  • Daughter watched me beat the last boss and told me to put this away! Not had chance to go back to the missing star, playing Lego with daughter now. Game time over, Lego time is here!
  • What's the proportion of easy to difficult levels? In 3D Land it was more or less half and half with the post credits Worlds being where it all kicked off.
  • Difficult to judge so far; but the more I play, it seems the higher the proportion of better designed and more challenging the levels. Currently around 1/3 piss, 1/3 normal, 1/3 difficult. I may well be on the final levels, I've been playing a lot today!
  • Vela wrote:
    Small hint to follow
    Spoiler:

Lol. You know what?! I was thinking a lite earlier while playing one of the later levels that...
    Spoiler:

I've got quite a lot of stars now. This game is now officially absolutely fucking great. Shame it took a while to get this good! I'm still trying to maintain 100%, but it's a lot harder now.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    So when I play, I want to be able to delve straight into the greatness. Like these later levels....

Well, there are warp pipes/zones I hear. Of course nubs can't find them ;P
    Spoiler:
    Believe!
  • Cool. But it shouldn't be hidden or an option. And I don't want to skip levels, I just want it to be a great game from the start! Fuck younger players or newcomers, why compromise on level design for them?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Hmmm. I guess so. But why not do easy left to right levels but with hard collectibles and get rid of the gates that require certain stars to be collected?

fair point. even SMB1 had secrets in its first levels...maybe there hidden bits people haven't found yet? I always liked the duality of the levels - both from the point of normal / super mario and from the point of beginner/expert.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Got to the credits with all stars and stamps and flag tops.

Pretty easy, but the second-to-last level was brilliant in particular. Took about a dozen lives off me.
  • Same here. I lost about ten lives on that level. Great stuff. 

I have stamps missing from 6-1 and 6-3, otherwise have everything.
  • The stamp in that level was particularly evil in its placement, and the segment with the third star was even worse!

I saw it coming too, and heard myself saying "oh no" as the realisation dawned.

I have to say now, having played most of the game, that this is the culmination of the 3D Land/World style just as Galaxy 2 was of that style.

I hope the next 3D Mario is something different again - not Galaxy, not 3D Worlds. I think EAD Tokyo is a team that thrives on new ideas, and seems to exhaust their potential (in a good way) with a second title.

But maybe keep the cherry powerup. That is fantastic and needs to become a series staple.
  • I agree, I have found myself thinking the same. I'd like to see the next game change things up again.
    Spoiler:
  • Regarding that spoiler
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!