Super Mario Super Thread
  • Which is the more legit victory? Savestates all exits Straight through with liberal use of lakitu/jujem

I'm gonna say save states is legit 'cause that'd mean I got all the stars on Mario 64.
  • Also, wtf is jujem?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jujem is the cloud powerup that lets you skip a level. Problem is though if you lose a life in the subsequent level it throws you back before the level you skipped with Jujem - so it's a bit of a gamble.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    There's a level on World 8 of 3 thats extremely hard without the P-Wing, I remember having to save one for it when I was a kid. Would be interesting to play that now and see how tough it is in hindsight.

Aye. Remember that one well. Ended many a game.

I remember playing 3 through warpless one Saturday. I may have done all levels and played all the bonus games and coin airships etc - can't remember - but it took me North of 5 hours. Maybe even 7.  I can't remember exactly as it was the early 90s. On the NES  - no saves or passwords - and I don't believe I had to continue.

There are 100% speed runs under 2 hrs though.

I've only ever completed it with Warp whistles, I've completed every level in the game but never in one sitting, just took too long.

NES version that is, I did the lot on All-Stars using the save feature.

Madness that is never had battery back up on NES.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    Jujem is the cloud powerup that lets you skip a level. Problem is though if you lose a life in the subsequent level it throws you back before the level you skipped with Jujem - so it's a bit of a gamble.

Not if you use it directly before a pipe!!

Or more accurately, a pipe counts as a level.
  • These arrived today (The original official Japanese guides for SMW), got them for research for the new print - Some really crazy/cool artwork in them!

CMC3EEAXAAANCAq.jpg

CMC3EEGW8AABxw4.jpg

CMC3EEMWwAEshzz.jpg

CMC3EG0WoAA5--v.jpg
  • Love the fact it was also called Super Mario Bros. 4 over there, but strangely not in the actual game. Only on the box/promotional material etc.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The castle numbered 4 in smw is strangely tricky.

Also the wiiu port is definitely slightly faster than the Ames version or controls are slightly different.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Its the NTSC version, maybe the others you've played were the optimised PAL release?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • that would be it
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Not if you use it directly before a pipe!! Or more accurately, a pipe counts as a level.

pro-tip!
  • Mario 3 is a right bastard, got it on WiiU VC, thought I'd have a laugh blasting through it but it's so tough I was gave up around world three. Every time I think I'll try and drop back in I just think 'fuck it'.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Mario 3 is a weird one. 

7 year old me could quite happily blast through world 1-5 with very little problem (I didn't discover warp whistles until very late on). 

I attempted to play it through properly on the Wii VC a few years back and I found it extremely tough going.

Great game though.
  • Should be easier armed with prior (even kid-level) knowledge, surely?

Have you guys gotten worse at games while gaining experience rather than better? Or is it more a case of reflexes declining with age?
  • Probably has something to do with giving up more readily.  Anything with infinite continues would eventually get finished when I was a kid.
  • If it's too challenging with continue limits then harvest infinite 1-UPs in any number of places (1st being 1-3 iirc) like a good pro/cheat, and enjoy one of the greatest SMB/ other game rides, ever.
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Probably has something to do with giving up more readily.  Anything with infinite continues would eventually get finished when I was a kid.

I'd second that. I've noticed my patience has reduced significantly in recent years, mostly due to lack of time.

Also, I have too many games and spend far to much money on them. When I was a kid I could only afford a new game a couple of times each year, that almost certainly was a factor...
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • Was actually thinking of 1-2 re: the 1-UPS.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SMB3 is tough but there are plenty of 1UPs to be had. I had the memory card game down pat (there are only one or two boards to memorise) and I could also get the max 1UPs out of the picture lineup game. 

Also remember if you hit the end of level target going at full speed you always get a star card. Get 3 star cards and you get a 3UP.

The fact that you only go to Super Mario status when you take a hit when wearing a suit helps too.
  • davyK wrote:
    Also remember if you hit the end of level target going at full speed you always get a star card.

You have to jump at the right moment / hit the middle of the box, too, IIRC.
  • davyK wrote:
    SMB3 is tough but there are plenty of 1UPs to be had. I had the memory card game down pat (there are only one or two boards to memorise) and I could also get the max 1UPs out of the picture lineup game.  Also remember if you hit the end of level target going at full speed you always get a star card. Get 3 star cards and you get a 3UP. The fact that you only go to Super Mario status when you take a hit when wearing a suit helps too.

forgotten the combinations for the version of this in SMW in the room with three boxes, left middle or right then you jump up and get i think 4 go's. Used to know all of them by heart.
  • Lack of patience and time certainly springs to mind rather than getting necessarily worse at the game.

I think most people familiar with mario 3 will blitz the first 2 worlds, my memory of levels gets hazy beyond that...probably because of warp whistles.

The way you get the first on world 1 level 3 felt unique back then, as it seemed like a glitch rather than something you could stumble upon.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    SMB3 is tough but there are plenty of 1UPs to be had. I had the memory card game down pat (there are only one or two boards to memorise) and I could also get the max 1UPs out of the picture lineup game.  Also remember if you hit the end of level target going at full speed you always get a star card. Get 3 star cards and you get a 3UP. The fact that you only go to Super Mario status when you take a hit when wearing a suit helps too.
    forgotten the combinations for the version of this in SMW in the room with three boxes, left middle or right then you jump up and get i think 4 go's. Used to know all of them by heart.

Never got to memorise those - always failed miserably. Maybe because I thought it was random.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gamermike wrote:
    ...probably because of warp whistles. The way you get the first on world 1 level 3 felt unique back then, as it seemed like a glitch rather than something you could stumble upon.

yeah - it's pretty contrived despite the hint you get in the letter from Peach. It felt a bit cheap to me.
  • I remember the day someone at school told me about the second warp whistle and how to use it to get straight to world 8. I was so excited, and when it actually worked I was over the moon. Used to cheat on the world 8 boat and swim underneath, that was something I discovered by accident.

Scarcity of games was definitely a factor in patience levels. Only ever had 3 cartridges for the nes, one of those was paper boy!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yeah totally. I used to completely rinse games, yer Marios, Civ, Dune 2, Super Robin Hood, stuff like that, get absolutely every last scrap of enjoyment out of them.

Now I barely touch the sides of games before moving on.

I probably put more hours into say Dizzy than I have done this entire generation.
  • tumblr_nt4rvs6kGq1swiks1o1_1280.png

Working on a SMW print to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Japanese release - will have more info on progress / availablity over here:

http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/1415/arkotype-prints-posters-2015-plan#Item_143

[/shameless plug]
  • Sign me up for this one. Absolutely definitely don't-you-forget-now in.
  • Release game for the NX hopefully.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!