Now eating/drinking
  • Their quality has dipped but the Ari Gold with bacon is a great burger. For consistency Dead Hippy every time.

• Think patty & bun have some other branches now too, so queuing maybe not such an issue anymore. Wouldn't count on it though.
  • Yeah there’s loads. Dangerously next to work, with their £5 weekday offer.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Thinking of attempting some Indian cooking today or tomorrow... Trying to think of recipes that don't contain chicken...

Any ideas? Are all my options lamb based or vegetarian?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Paneer is great, you can coat chunks of it in spices and char-grill to make it more interesting.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wait...

Paneer...

We've all gotta go someday anyway...

Edit - lol! Snap. Possibly spinach and potato to accompany that. It can also go wrong, but it's worth a try.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Thinking of attempting some Indian cooking today or tomorrow... Trying to think of recipes that don't contain chicken...

Any ideas? Are all my options lamb based or vegetarian?

Vegetarian Indian is the best Indian.
  • Best veggie fare, for me, in the world when done right. Gujarati Raosi started as a food stall in Exmouth Market and seems to have a bricks and mortar now. Incredible samosas and sauces. http://gujaratirasoi.com
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can make Indian food with pork or beef just fine. In fact, Vindaloo is traditionally made with pork as it originated in Goa, which is mainly (or at least largely) Christian.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, a big thing in India is masala king prawn dishes. Or spiced and grilled fish - red snapper is a good one.
  • There’s a lack of good fish curry available generally. That’s something I’d like to cook more.

I’ve got a load of chicken thighs marinating in jerk seasoning and I’m tempted to fire up the BBQ for them. The weather is fine for it and they don’t take long. I’ve also prepared some dough for Jamaican dumplings and I’m plotting a mean jerk gravy. Just need to persuade my wife to make rice and peas.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like Rick Stein's book on India. Unsurprisingly there is a good fish section.

I have made these and they were great. Haven't done much else fish as my wife isn't keen on the idea of fish curry.

hfya8ybw.jpg

fuyi4zc9.jpg

9dmq3id2.jpg

eeuv3tb2.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Made a Lamb Bhuna and onion bhajis from scratch tonight.

Too much salt in the bhajis due to a miscalculation but otherwise it was very good.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Bab meat and chips for tea.

And supper.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes man, kebab night tomorrow for me, not touched one in two weeks and I'm legit excited
  • Bab meat chips mayo and chili sauce.. Stuff of fucking legends. Soooooooo happy right now.
  • I drank all the rum. And some shit bourbon. A whole bottle of Don Papa followed by an ill-advised bottle of Jack Daniels. My mouth tastes of sweetness and honey and booze and potential hangover.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Potential? I'd say inevitable.
  • Bullet dodged, thankfully.. Good job too, as I’ve only got this afternoon to put together a presentation for a second stage job interview in the morning …

It did take three showers to get all the Halloween facepaint off though. Think waking up and walking the dog with lots of that gunk still in my eyes and ears might have felt worse than a hangover.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Paneer is great, you can coat chunks of it in spices and char-grill to make it more interesting.

I literally 'chickened' out...

Had chicken thighs in the freezer.
    Made buttered chicken. Recipe here:

https://www.pepperscale.com/spicy-butter-chicken/

Turned out very well, except for the chilli... All we had to hand was Carolina Reaper... I used about half a teaspoon against 300ml of yoghurt, and we're still struggling...

I also struggle to cook brown rice. It more often than not comes out al dente... If I have the same trouble white rice, then I'll have to take a step back.

Bonus stage... Baked a blueberry cheesecake too... Looks really good on the outside, but haven't tasted it yet.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I always find brown rice awkward to cook too. Plus I don't like the way it tastes, so I just do white now.
  • Yeah brown rice can fuck off. You wouldn't eat brown coconut.
  • or brown snow...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I always find brown rice awkward to cook too. Plus I don't like the way it tastes, so I just do white now.

I think it's just a patience thing, because I could have just added more water and boiled it for longer...

Anyway, won't bore you with pictures, of the curry (or excite you, what, with the brown snow reference above), but the cheesecake came out like this...

nCk4MOHl.jpg

reSooNfl.jpg?1

Recipe here - http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/baking-and-desserts/baked-blueberry-cheesecake/

A lot of fun to make, and turned out really well, given that baked cheesecakes (or even chilled cheesecakes) are apparently pretty hard to get right. The dark stuff on the top was meant to be a 'ripple', but turned into more of a 'marble', cause' I have no idea how to apply the ripple effect with a knife.

I was/am also quite surprised by it's sweetness... Not too sweet at all, when compared to the pumpkin cake I made a fortnight ago. Would have expected a cheesecake to be much sweeter.

Good hobby this, but the ephemeral nature of the product frustrates... Though I do like the response. :]

Next time, I'm still itching to do a Ramen, or a donburi...
  • Am still vegan. Made a disgustingly tasty pasta yesterday tho:

500g mushrooms. Slice and then cook in a pan until they start going proper brown

Empty a whole 80g tube of garlic paste in the pan and cook for a minute.

Add 3 chopped leeks and cook down until all wilted and the water has fucker off.

Add one can of coconut milk, a veggie stock cube and black pepper. Reduce it down until the sauce is properly thick.

Add a load of fresh tarragon right at the end and let them wilt for like a minute.

Chuck the sauce over some pasta and eat.

Factoid: the garlic, veggie stock cube and tarragon completely overpower the coconut so you get the nice creamy look and feel without your sauce tasting like a bounty fell in it.

Erm, that makes enough sauce for like 4 big portions easy. It's rich af tho.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Getting hungry, not sure what i'll do for tonight yet. Bit undecided today. Curry sounds good though.

Made lemon honey chicken last night, didn't like that at all. I'm trying to make some of the (western) Chinese meals, as B likes them but haven't found any good ones yet. Talking the meat / veggies / rice bowls here, not the wontons and whatever. 

So if anyone has any good recipes for those, please post them. Think szechuan chicken/ beef, Lo Mein, Orange chicken/ beef etc. I've never been a big fan of Chinese food but wanna give it a go at home in stead of take away.
    (But if anyone has any good wonton / egg roll / soup recipes, post them anyway)
  • Anyway, won't bore you with pictures, of the curry (or excite you, what, with the brown snow reference above), but the cheesecake came out like this... nCk4MOHl.jpg reSooNfl.jpg?1

Octopus cheesecake! Goes well fish milkshake I hear.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Goober what does page 313 days about the tamarind liquid?

Both recipes sound great, put the kokum, urid dal and those chilli's on my "to watch out for" list. There are a couple of things I haven't found in the regular supermarkets yet (or some of the Asian I've been). Missing some Indonesian ingredients too, which is annoying as that's might be the best food (this opinion changes daily).

Went for one of the easiest options I could think of tonight, garlic, coconut milk, curry spices, some extra cumin, smoked paprika and chili, zucchini, tomatoes and cod on top. Ready in 15 minutes, serve with naan.

Not the most authentic curry but I wanted easy and comforting tonight. I wouldn't mind some cheesecake now I'm seeing that picture up there again.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Octopus cheesecake! Goes well fish milkshake I hear.

:'[

Just kidding, It turned out so well, it was a shock! :]
    I might make it again in the next few weeks, just to master the ripple effect and presentation.

Protip, if you're making a cheesecake, fuck all those 'Philadelphia' based recipes, go to Lidl, and buy their own brand Mascarpone instead.

It's less than half the price, richer, and has a much better texture.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Homemade parkin for the bonfire weekend.

nyylvcoe.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!