Now eating/drinking
  • Today's Malaysian lunch.
    W8mSpuo.jpg
    Char Mee - fried noodles. Full of beansprouts, prawns, chicken and other bits and a load of hot spices. Very tasty and only about £1.50.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • I'd be well in for that. Just my kind of dish.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Waitrose are doing hot cross buns with cherries and berries in and they are a bit special.
    They are dark, sour/sweet cherries rather than glacier.

I recommend putting them in your face for joy purposes.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    sorry mate am eating bobby's s&v spirals
  • Really into a Wispa Gold these days. What a treat.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    am on that mango rubicon, maltesers, s&v squares and a ham-lettuce-onion-mayo tip for lunch these days, ever so strong
  • Really into a Wispa Gold these days. What a treat.

God tier choc
  • I remember when Wispa came back. I was at University and walked into the shop at the end of my road to find my housemate and the store owner shouting at each other.
    The owner shouting "we have Wispa now!" and my housemate shouting back "I just want a Yorkie", went on for a bit.
  • Was a Wispa Gold, "grab bag" Walkers roast chicken and a can of irn bru dinner on the backshift tonight.

Now on my way to my missus' who's mum is a veggie, has no microwave, and no toaster. Not a fucking clue what I'm gonna do. Nightmare house, nightmare sitch for DS. Can you imagine?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I'm making Nick's chili. About 4 more hours till dinner and it looks good. Might be a bit too spicy so I just put extra ketchup in there.

Did you ever get round to writing down measurements for the spices / liquids @fullspectrum ?

Didn't use the Spanish chorizo, but using the more minced meat like Mexican one. Had a burger here that was half Mexican chorizo, half beef, hoping for the same greatness in this chili.

It's been so long since I made chili, if this works out I might keep this one going.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Was a Wispa Gold, "grab bag" Walkers roast chicken and a can of irn bru dinner on the backshift tonight. Now on my way to my missus' who's mum is a veggie, has no microwave, and no toaster. Not a fucking clue what I'm gonna do. Nightmare house, nightmare sitch for DS. Can you imagine?

eat lettuce by the handful and cry
  • Made it to mcds cos I just missed the train. Thank the heavens. Gimme a quarter pounder just cheese aw ya nugs and aw ya mozza dippers u tart

Got to shonas. It was cold. And the quarter had everything on it. Could cry, man.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    absolute smashing it, gotta get them carbs for all the pushin the oaps and the overweights
  • Nina wrote:
    I'm making Nick's chili. About 4 more hours till dinner and it looks good. Might be a bit too spicy so I just put extra ketchup in there.

Did you ever get round to writing down measurements for the spices / liquids @fullspectrum ?

Didn't use the Spanish chorizo, but using the more minced meat like Mexican one. Had a burger here that was half Mexican chorizo, half beef, hoping for the same greatness in this chili.

It's been so long since I made chili, if this works out I might keep this one going.

How was it! Sorry I missed your message about spice amounts while you were doing it. Bet you’ve got access to some amazing dried chillis in Cali.

They are listed on my blog:
    http://ilikeeatingwell.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/nicks-chilli.html?m=1
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Paesano the night. Glasgow boys u know exactly what the fuck is up
  • I now want a Paesano too god damn it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SPECIAL MENU
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @fullspectrum
    Both B and I loved it! Has a really nice hot flavour to it, but nothing that will stay for too long. Which has the added bonus of eating at a respectable pace, it's something I've been watching as eating out here always makes you feel a bit rushed.

Had it with just some bread on the side yesterday, might make it into burritos or tacos tonight.

Didn't use celery as I don't like it, went for ketchup over BBQ sauce, used tapatio hot sauce (something the South American register lady approved) and had some dried red jalapeños from my own balcony garden. There's a lot of good dried chillies available in supermarkets, I'll try a couple of different ones. I'm not a big fan of hot for the sake of it, but this chili was a good blend of hot, smoky and even a hint of sweet.

B wouldn't have minded beans and corn in there, so maybe I'll try that next time, think I'd prefer it with a little green salad on the side myself.

Easy to make as well, it only requires you to be home to add liquid every once in a while. Need to remember to buy kitchen gloves when using chillies, nothing went wrong yesterday but I still remember taking out my contact lenses after cutting up a chili. Couldn't use my lenses for two days after that!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You should dice up celery really finely and put it in anyway. You won't taste it as celery but it really adds to the flavour and body of a chilli. Or a bolognese for that matter.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, I might give it a try next time. I've used it in curries before, and always found it too noticeable. Never missed it when I left it out.
  • It should add a background depth. Do what kow says and chop it finely. Peeling the ridge side can help it melt in.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Peeling the ridge side sounds like a skateboarding or surfing expression.

Just me?

OK.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That one was a lot of points in Tony Hawks.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Standing in the chipper...

Eating a chipper.

Chippy tea lads!

YYLBoU1h.jpg
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Gorgeous pet.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Nina, you are the master of your meat-and-no-pasta, but it’s not quite the same chilli with beans in.

Corn sounds good, but how about char-grilled on the side. I love the eventual smoothness of the chilli as it is, with the occasional chunk of chewy chorizo. You did say you had a sausage variant, sounds good as well.

Gazellle that’s a hell of a pro tip. Thw silverskin on the very outside of a celery is an unpleasant thing. Not needed. Agree with you and kow - @nina it’s something you chop up so fine and cook for so long that it’s a pure background effect essential.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ok, I'll leave the beans out, B loses (I'm not a big fan anyway). Corn on the side is an option, a lot of people here seem to serve cornbread with chilli, might have a look into that. The chorizo I used is more between a paste and minced meat, so no chunks in the chilli.
    I'll add in celery next time, noticed your recipe on the blog also features cacao, so I'm excited for that.

Had it again today, just made a tray full of nachos, covered with leftover chilli, cheese and guacamole. Fitted a Friday night very well. Had some melon as a side / dessert, was nice to have something sweet next to it.

Got another question for you @fullspectrum, or anyone else with kids and BBQ skills. My 7 year old nephew is coming over in a month, now I don't want to get him all fat when he's here. I'm sure there will be plenty of dining out of the house, but since I look out onto the swimming pool and BBQ area, it might be nice to spend some evenings there. It's just a gas BBQ, so nothing fancy. What would be good suggestions to make? Burgers is of course a go, as he can build his own, maybe hotdogs at some point. Chicken wings with different dipping sauces? Greek style kebab? What would be good marinades to use that won't be too spicy or too strange for kids? Also need to think of a way to get him some vegetables.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Burgers (obvs)
    Sausages (for posh hotdogs)
    Kebab skewers (can be chicken, beef or pork, but you can add some veg)
    Chicken wings or thighs
    Steak (ribeye or something equally fatty cooks amazingly on a Bbq)
    Then if you've got the time there are things like brisket, pulled pork, ribs etc.

I'll leave the sauces for nick or noface to talk about when they come in to give you the wealth of their experience, as they are the Bbq masters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!