Current Affairs
  • nick_md wrote:
    Okay that's a fair point, will anything change your mind?
    Counter-evidence. Proof, innit.

Do you have links to details showing that the convoy from Russia wasn't transporting the Buk?
    What evidence is there that the missile that downed the plane wasn't the one from the 53rd AA brigade? What was it, where was it from, how did it get there?
  • The standard for proof on this forum is really high. Many international organisations could follow our standards.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I just skimmed this. Did Morgan Freeman blow job a plane?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, it was Sam Jackson you racist.
  • There was some snakes on it, so he shouted swears at it.
  • No, that's Captain String.

Plane, Captain, this stuff is obvious.
  • Mothafuckin' Captain String!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Irish badgers, get the fuck out there and vote yes. No fucking excuses. If no wins this then Ireland is condemned to stay in the middle ages as a backwards bog jumping shithole.
  • I know why everyone can vote since its in the constitution, but there is no reason men should be voting in this.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nobody at all should be voting as it should just be allowed by normal civilised government. But in the event, men should indeed be voting.
  • Vela wrote:
    I know why everyone can vote since its in the constitution, but there is no reason men should be voting in this.

Go on so. enlighten me why a major aspect of society should only be voted on by half? (Voting yes by the way)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The #hometovote hash tag on Twitter is pretty inspiring.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's true that the final decision on whether a woman has an abortion or not is the woman's. But men are absolutely a part of that decision making process and a part of making sure it's legalised too.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    I know why everyone can vote since its in the constitution, but there is no reason men should be voting in this.
    Go on so. enlighten me why a major aspect of society should only be voted on by half? (Voting yes by the way)

Because its the half of society who will have the potential to experience the event.

Rights shouldnt be subject to votes, but in cases where they are its a bit perverse to have the rights voted upon by parties who dont have skin in the game.

Like the same sex marriage survey Australia just had, it was as if the rest of the country had final say over whether LGBTI people were considered equal. That doesnt sit right with me.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So you'd have to publicly declare yourself gay to get a vote? That seems a bit unfair.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, while the physical process of an abortion may be entirely the woman's, the whole idea of deciding if it's necessary and deciding on the life of a potential child is down to the couple in many cases. Not all abortions arise out of drunken one night stands.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The pre-edit version was more amusing in its inappropriateness:
    Kow wrote:
    Also, while the physical process of an apron may be entirely the woman's.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fuck sake. I considered leaving it. That was the 1970s Irish referendum.
  • I think saying it should only be a woman's vote ignores the "No" side's arguments. If they are going to do that then there isn't a lot of point in having a referendum, may and we'll just pass the "Yes" law.
    If they were to only open the vote to women it wouldn't end the debate.
  • It shouldn't be subject to a vote at all, it should just happen, but that's the stupidity of the constitution.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There shouldn't be a referendum on this any more than there should be one on letting women vote. It's already permitted by European law, which should be automatically adopted, without all this bullshit.
  • Actually, hold on a moment, Ive rethought this a bit. My original view is ignorant of context.

If you are a man inclined to vote yes: You should vote, because what you are doing is saying that women should be able to choose. 

If you are a man inclined to vote no: Your vote is intended to limit the rights of a woman to choose, by removing the option of abortion or maintaining the current ban. 

More simply, I dont think it is the business of one group to make decisions for other groups. But in the event that it comes to a vote then the pragmatics take over.
  • Reading the #repealthe 8th and #hometovote stuff is uplifting. I just hope there are enough of these people to make sure it happens.
  • It shouldn't be subject to a vote at all, it should just happen, but that's the stupidity of the constitution.

Kow wrote:
    There shouldn't be a referendum on this any more than there should be one on letting women vote. It's already permitted by European law, which should be automatically adopted, without all this bullshit.

Totally agree, but here we are.

• Vela wrote:

If you are a man inclined to vote no: Your vote is intended to limit the rights of a woman to choose, by removing the option of abortion or maintaining the current ban. 

I'm not sure that is the angle "No" voters are coming from. Their intentions are saving babies from being murdered, gender doesn't come into their argument.

Just to clarify I would very much vote Yes if I was Irish and don't agree with No arguments.
  • Intention: saving babies from being murdered

Reality: Babies are murdered in England instead.
  • Vela wrote:
    I'm not sure that is the angle "No" voters are coming from. Their intentions are saving babies from being murdered, gender doesn't come into their argument. Just to clarify I would very much vote Yes if I was Irish and don't agree with No arguments.

This. There's very much a story being put to this that the yes vote is for woman and the no vote is the patriarchy / church. I'm sure that is a part of the no vote but my sister is neither religious nor a man and she has decided to vote no. The breakdown on voters is roughly in the yes camp 55% woman, 45% Men and in the No camp 45% woman, 55% men. The idea that it is about limiting choice ignores the view on the no side that they feel it isnt a choice to be made at all.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Out of interest, what is her reasoning for voting no?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    The idea that it is about limiting choice ignores the view on the no side that they feel it isnt a choice to be made at all.

I'm not using the word choice in the form of the normal argument here (pro voice/pro life). 

I mean choice as in the ability to decide to do something. 

The no vote is simply saying "no, you cannot choose to do that". 

This still leaves ample room for the "no" voters to define why they feel its important.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!