Current Affairs
  • Also, the choice is currently, can I afford to go to England to do this, or do I risk imprisonment by getting the medication illegally. In the event that it doesn't kill me anyway, since I'm doing this without medical supervision.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Religious cunts is the reason.
  • Vela wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    The idea that it is about limiting choice ignores the view on the no side that they feel it isnt a choice to be made at all.
    I'm not using the word choice in the form of the normal argument here (pro voice/pro life).  I mean choice as in the ability to decide to do something.  The no vote is simply saying "no, you cannot choose to do that".  This still leaves ample room for the "no" voters to define why they feel its important.

they have done. they see it as murder. they've been quite clear

@dante i haven't spoke to her and I don't really want to before the vote. She's the only one in the family voting no and I feel questioning it would feel like a pile on.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow wrote:
    Religious cunts is the reason.

Yeah, worth people remembering the Catholics shouldn't even be wearing condoms.

There is a religion vs science debate, a protestant vs catholic debate, women's rights debate, equality debate.
    A lot going on over there and I guess that is why this is such a significant referendum, beyond just abortions. The result will say a lot about where Ireland are at in 2018.
  • Oh man, c'mon Ireland. Don't be all like brexit/trump votey about this.
  • djchump wrote:
    Oh man, c'mon Ireland. Don't be all like brexit/trump votey about this.

I'm surprised its forecast as being so close to be honest. Some feel there could be a push back vote against the 'Dubs' telling everyone whats best.

Thing is, I'm not exactly pro-abortion. But the current amendment is the worse of both worlds. It doesn't stop women looking to abort as Dante pointed out they either go abroad or order the pills and do it unsupervised. So it fails for the no camp. And we get the added plus of some really horrible medical crimes against women. Some are really horrifying and I cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would advocate that continuing, even if you were anti-abortion.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You dont have to be in favour of abortion to vote yes. A yes vote only needs to be in favour of it as being an option when needed.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    You dont have to be in favour of murder to vote yes. A yes vote only needs to be in favour of it as being an option when needed.

I'm being a bit dickish but this is how someone who sees abortion as a pure morale no go will take your comment.

It's similar to death penalties and euthanasia- it may not affect you directly bit for some people they are huge sticking points in being part of your societies laws / allowance.

(I agree with your statement though, just playing devils advocate)

SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Voting yes doesn't affect you or your life or your right to an opinion or your right to campaign or convince people. Voting no shuts down the other side for your moral and religious right. Yes is the only democratically reasonable option, which is why there should be no vote on this.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a sticking point with religious conservatives only. Any progressive liberal country doesn't even debate it.
  • Kow wrote:
    Voting yes doesn't affect you or your life or your right to an opinion or your right to campaign or convince people. Voting no shuts down the other side for your moral and religious right. Yes is the only democratically reasonable option, which is why there should be no vote on this.

Again, that only works if you already see abortion as just a medical procedure. Its very different if you see it as murder and arguing 'oh well everyone else says its fine' is not going to cut it.

The problem for me with the whole debate was that people tend to argue only from the side that they see it and in this case, the issue is vast in how it is differently perceived. So for example one of the pro choice arguments is that the embryo is just a clump of cells. But given that one of the worries on the no side is the devaluation of life, that argument cant and wont ever work. If anything, its backing up the No view that allowing Abortion as a legal option would devalue life.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's a religious view and allowing that into law is ridiculous. Whether or not you see it as murder, it's still forcing your view on others, when voting yes doesn't do that. It would be like Jehovah's Witnesses voting to outlaw blood transfusions because they're immortal. Nobody would stand for that. The no vote campaign has been a total disgrace, of fear mongering and outright lies as well.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I believe something therefore I need you all to comply with that.
  • Kow wrote:
    Whether or not you see it as murder, 

Think about what you're saying. Animal activists campaign on similar grounds and expect laws to be changed if they can exert enough force. But agreed, the no campaign has been a disgrace.

Kow wrote:
    I believe something therefore I need you all to comply with that.

I get where you are coming from but that's the basis for all law surely?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not really. Most countries don't vote on these things, they're allowed by default as rights that people can make use of or not as they see fit. It's included in the European rights for just that reason.
  • What's this bollocks about whether men should vote? Of course they should. Unless you also think postmenopausal women shouldn't vote either.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    False equivalency, IMO. Post-menopausal women have lived under these rules in a way that men have and can not.
  • Men don't have girlfriends? Wives? A conscience in any event? Come on.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not saying any of that, just pointing out that equating post-menopausal women to men here is a false equivalency. Just because these two groups cannot become pregnant doesn’t immediately put then in the same boat in regards to how this law may have affected them personally.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FWIW, I’m not arguing that men shouldn’t be allowed to vote on this, if anything I’m with Kow in that this shouldn’t be a vote at all, but here we are.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Again, that only works if you already see abortion as just a medical procedure. Its very different if you see it as murder and arguing 'oh well everyone else says its fine' is not going to cut it. The problem for me with the whole debate was that people tend to argue only from the side that they see it and in this case, the issue is vast in how it is differently perceived. So for example one of the pro choice arguments is that the embryo is just a clump of cells. But given that one of the worries on the no side is the devaluation of life, that argument cant and wont ever work. If anything, its backing up the No view that allowing Abortion as a legal option would devalue life.

The current law forces women to carry non viable feotuses to term. This is, by any reasonable definition cruel, and cannot be interpreted as murder in any possible way. The only way this can change is repealing the 8th amendment
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Way I see it is that abortion is wrong. It is the killing of a human life.

However. There are times when it is a necessity. There are plenty of occasions when doing some wrong is the only option.

So to rule it out as an option is wrong.

No matter what the result it still isn't an option in N.Ireland.

The fact that you can jump on a ferry and get it done makes a nonsense of the whole thing. My betting is that after the gay marriage referendum going the way it did then the 8th will be repealed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, whether you believe it's right or wrong, being illegal is total nonsense. And being right or wrong is only opinion so let people make their own choices for their own families. Nobody is forcing abortion on anyone.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Plane full of yes voters stuck on the runway in London. Hmm.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Opus Dei
  • You'd think Big Abortion would be making sure they get over there.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wait what was the question
  • Big Abortion sounds like a shit sixth-form metal band.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Irish Times exit poll is suggesting a landslide for yes. Fingers crossed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have everything crossed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!