Current Affairs
  • I always reach for The Lighter:

• You know, it'd be justice to see England as a colony now.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • All 12 boys plus coach reportedly safely out of the caves now.  Christ that was tense.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, good to have some good news. Plus it means that we should stop receiving emails with half-baked schemes for rescuing them with a request that we send them onto the relevant authorities.
  • What were the best ones? ;)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yep, good to have some good news. Plus it means that we should stop receiving emails with half-baked schemes for rescuing them with a request that we send them onto the relevant authorities.

That would have been amusing. Its an interesting engineering challenge to think of how to solve it, but we dont have movie tech, geology is complicated, and people are fragile.

And any cave is going to be pretty unique in its own challenges. 

Hopefully all the divers are out soon, and the family of the one who died are afforded the care and respect they deserve.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There was one about inserting a giant plastic tube that they could crawl through and another involving bubbles in some way that I didn’t really understand.

Their hearts were in the right place I guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    None of them really matched up to Musk’s suggestion of a sub with an iPod pocket TBF.
  • Fuck Elon Musk and his PR stunt.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Fuck Elon Musk and his PR stunt.

Exactly this. There are genuinely people out there in the world who think he is responsible for any part of this rescue despite the fact all he did was pull a publicity stunt with an unworkable solution, then turn up late and promote SpaceX.
  • I have no strong opinion on Musk. I took his comments at face value to be sincere, if unnecessary with the experts already on site. Is that not the case?
  • Elon Musk is the latest in a long line of magnificent bullshitters. I suspect he owes a large chunk of his success to the people around him, but has found it's easier to get things done (and certainly easier to get yet more cash) if you perpetuate the myth that it's all down to his own singular "genius".  He's the P.T.Barnum of technology.

Which is fine, although I can't help but wonder whether all that money might still have been invested into similar technologies in a parallel universe in which Musk didn't exist - and whether it might have gone to making it available to people other than the insanely rich.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Fuck Elon Musk and his PR stunt.
    This. He is a shameless cunt.
  • Ach, but at least he/his firm makes stuff, rather than spinning extra money out of thin air with debt derivatives and whatever new bullshit schemes the financial sector has come up with.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Elon Musk is the latest in a long line of magnificent bullshitters. I suspect he owes a large chunk of his success to the people around him, but has found it's easier to get things done (and certainly easier to get yet more cash) if you perpetuate the myth that it's all down to his own singular "genius".  He's the P.T.Barnum of technology.

Which is fine, although I can't help but wonder whether all that money might still have been invested into similar technologies in a parallel universe in which Musk didn't exist - and whether it might have gone to making it available to people other than the insanely rich.

What Tesla are doing to communities in Nevada is disgusting, siphoning off millions in tax breaks that would’ve been used for maintaining public services. He’s a complete charlatan - maintaining the illusion of business acumen and success by using public funds to drive his business. He’s the Donald Trump of tech, and an cunt.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Elon Musk is the latest in a long line of magnificent bullshitters. I suspect he owes a large chunk of his success to the people around him, but has found it's easier to get things done (and certainly easier to get yet more cash) if you perpetuate the myth that it's all down to his own singular "genius".  He's the P.T.Barnum of technology. Which is fine, although I can't help but wonder whether all that money might still have been invested into similar technologies in a parallel universe in which Musk didn't exist - and whether it might have gone to making it available to people other than the insanely rich.
    What Tesla are doing to communities in Nevada is disgusting, siphoning off millions in tax breaks that would’ve been used for maintaining public services. He’s a complete charlatan - maintaining the illusion of business acumen and success by using public funds to drive his business. He’s the Donald Trump of tech, and an cunt.

Is there a link for some further reading on this?
  • There's that. There's also him leading the charge (ahem) for the electrification of cars. The world needs that and he's pushing the arseholes hell bent on burning the shit out of long-dead trees and fuck the consequences.

Swings and roundabouts. At least this arsehole is on the side of the planet. It's easy to mock but I believe he's doing it for the right reasons.
  • Yes, cuntishness has helped him practically skip past lobbying from American oil and American car manufacturers, which is frankly a minor miracle. He certainly hasn't invented anything new but he has allowed, finally, for electric cars to enter the American mainstream.

This should have course been done years ago but it took someone like Musk to do it. It's becoming so popular now that Tesla could easily fail and electric cars are still going to be the main vehicles on US roads in 10 - 15 years. It's quite an achievement.
  • djchump wrote:
    Ach, but at least he/his firm makes stuff, rather than spinning extra money out of thin air with debt derivatives and whatever new bullshit schemes the financial sector has come up with.

He made all his money from paypal, no?
  • two more tories quit the party over brexit. both vice chairs.
  • May as well be the tea lady.
  • Thinking about it.
    We really shouldn't be surprised Brexiteers are resigning rather than staying in a position where they can influence change, that is exactly what leaving the EU is.
  • If the entire Conservative party could just fuck off in a huff that would be perfect.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yay, then Labour can swoop in and do the exact same fucking thing.
  • Newsnight are in Wellingborough where Tory campaigners have downed leaflets because everyone is a Brexiteer mentalist.
    Wellingborough is up the road from me, it is an absolute shit hole, I'm not surprised they wanted to leave, they probably thought it meant leave and go anywhere but here.
  • Also it's worth watching the John Cleese interview on iPlayer. Fucking nightmare.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!