Current Affairs
  • Does anyone have a good links that breakdown the whole Labour anti-semitism thing? I don't want to rely on what I read in papers.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Does anyone have a good links that breakdown the whole Labour anti-semitism thing? I don't want to rely on what I read in papers.

Right then.  My understanding of it (and I'll give some links at the end, goes something like this...

Labour published its new code of conduct on antisemitism earlier this month.  This included an endorsement of the approved IHRA working definition of antisemitism in full:

“Antisemitism is a certain perception of Jews, which may be expressed as hatred toward Jews. Rhetorical and physical manifestations of antisemitism are directed toward Jewish or non-Jewish individuals and/or their property, toward Jewish community institutions and religious facilities.”

However...

Along with that definition the IHRA gave a number of examples of antisemitism.  These were not part of the definition per se, but are widely regarded as such.  Labour did include some, but not all of these examples in their document.  

I've done a quick comparison, and the examples Labour omitted are:

- Accusing Jewish citizens of being more loyal to Israel, or to the alleged priorities of Jews worldwide, than to the interests of their own nations.

- Denying the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g., by claiming that the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor.

- Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation.

- Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

The argument being that Labour omitted these examples precisely because some within the Labour party don't feel these are anti-semitic at all.  The document does go on to acknowledge the right of jewish people to self determination - but immediately follows it with the caveat that this does not preclude considered discourse about the nature or content of the right to self determination.  

Rather than saying you shouldn't compare them to Nazis, the Labour document states "Discourse about international politics often employs metaphors from examples of historic misconduct." etc etc.

So, in other words, Labour has largely followed the IHRA definition, but has reserved the right to tweak it to fit with their own views.  Many Jewish people feel it's not for anyone else to determine what is, or is not, antisemitic. 

And then of course Margaret Hodge called Corbyn names.  Meanwhile, in what is doubtless a coincidence, Israel has passed a law stating that only Jews have the right to self determination in the country.

Links then:

IHRA working definition of antisemitism.

There's a breakdown of some of the debate, including Labour's original document defining antisemitism, should you wish to read it yourself, here.
  • Thanks Tin, that's super helpful.

This is all because I'm discussing with a friend the whole Labour are anti-Semites thing, and I want to get facts straight in my own head so I can discuss coherently.

If anyone has any more links, particularly ones that argue for and against each side, it'd be appreciated.
  • Isn't it literally just the Gurno that keeps banging on about this non-thing.
  • Never hear of it in the north.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I think that the Labour guidance is fine - the full guidance/definition seems sort of designed to prevent any kind of criticism of Israel and its, let’s be honest, pretty fascist approach to nationalism.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • There was a survey from Survation i think that showed Labour had about the same levels of anti semitism as the country as a whole, whilst the Tories had much higher levels.

But no, its all Jeremy Corbyns fault.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fuck that. Labour are the party that should be on the side of the marginalised, they should have less antisemitism than the country as a whole and less racism and less sexism.
  • Labour seems to be held to a far higher standard than anyone else, or it's a failure. Much like the Dems in USA I guess - it doesn't matter that the Tories are waist deep in cuntmongers, if one Labour person or thing goes wrong then they are the worst party ever and the country would collapse under them.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • … And that’s how the Tories use their ‘close relationship’ with the tabloid press to stay in power. By having them trash the opposition.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Fuck that. Labour are the party that should be on the side of the marginalised, they should have less antisemitism than the country as a whole and less racism and less sexism.

Which isn't the argument people are making.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s certainly an excuse that’s wheeled out on the regular.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, if there was a large number of black people saying that Labour has an issue with racism and the response was that Labour wasn’t any more racist than the country as a whole, would that be good enough? I don’t think so.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's the implication that the Tories are good enough that grates
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Of course they’re not, but conservatism and bigotry are two sides of the same coin. Tory antisemitism is baked into the brand.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I mean, if there was a large number of black people saying that Labour has an issue with racism and the response was that Labour wasn’t any more racist than the country as a whole, would that be good enough? I don’t think so.

Are there a large number of Jewish people saying that Labour are anti-semetic, or is it that there are a small number of very influential and noisy Jewish people saying it? For example, the Jewish Board of Deputies?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Perhaps I'm pointing out that obvious here but isn't the issue, at least in part, what the definition of anti-Semitism is rather than how prevalent it is in a political party or the country at large?

As Tin referenced, it seems that some Jewish people feel only they can decide what that is. At points, that definition has been expanded to attempt to shut down criticism of Israel and potentially other issues.

Edit: Plus what Grem said.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Are there a large number of Jewish people saying that Labour are anti-semetic, or is it that there are a small number of very influential and noisy Jewish people saying it? For example, the Jewish Board of Deputies?

I don’t think that I have a single British Jewish person that I follow on Twitter who hasn’t mentioned that this is an issue. Some have quit the party, some have written about it (Baddiel’s piece in the Times a while back was particularly good). I’m going to listen to those voices, personally speaking.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Yeah this is a pretty lame stitch-up. The state of Israel is deservedly attracting flack for being fucking awful. Labour would be a shit party if they were going to pwn their ability to call that out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Unfortunately, this particular decision can’t be taken in isolation as this has all been rumbling along in the background for months.
  • Who's been pushing the cart.
  • Ftr this isn't omgJewspiracy it's ffsBastardspiracy. Well, yet another one.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So what, all of these Jewish voices who have been talking about this for months are what? Wrong? Duped? Part of a conspiracy?
  • What were they talking about before.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Most of the ones that I follow were talking about comedy.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t know what the hell needs to happen for people to start to think that maybe, just maybe, this isn’t a conspiracy and perhaps we should start listening to what people are telling us about their own experiences.

FWIW, none of these people that I’m following accuse Corbyn of anything beyond a failure to get a grip on this in the Labour Party. That’s all that’s being asked for.
  • If they're saying "LEAVE ISRAEL ALON!!!#" they can prooooobably fuck off at this point.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Who are ‘they’?

Edit: certainly not anyone on my timeline.
  • These people with their experiences.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!