Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    The lack of trust between the Jewish community and Labour is a real issue.

… which was dug up, exaggerated, and  

… forced into the public spotlight by the likes of the Mail etc.

I’m pretty sure that this wasn’t ‘dug up’ by the Mail, I’m also pretty sure that people who were feeling this way would have tried to find a way to get it into the public spotlight regardless of whether or not our tabloid press existed.

I’ll certainly concede exaggerated.
  • It’s dirty politics 101. Find something contentious about your opponent, however minor, special interest, or even unfounded. Find a person or group who will make noise about it. Give them a push. Sit back and watch. Your opponent is tarnished, seemingly without your input. Chuck in a few comments now and then about how badly your opponent has handled the issue, thus making yourself look good.

Yes, there are people genuinely aggrieved by the wording of Labour’s antisemitism policy statement. But does anybody really believe that there was malice in Labour’s writing or discussion of it? Does anyone really believe that making a complaint and helping them rewrite it wouldn’t have been enough? And does anyone really believe that amends to the text of a policy guideline document would ever have become such a highly publicised issue if it wasn’t in the Tories favour to see Labour tarnished in any way they can?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s not about this one act, the entire wider context has been poisonous for months now. Acting in this way in this context was dumb, no matter the intention behind it, and Labour probably deserve to be dragged just for being so stupid.
  • Have they invited a speaker form ISIS, because, y'know, wouldn't want an echo chamber, amirite?
  • So many wankers are into debating.

If someone says they want to debate they are a fucking wanker. The whole thing is disappointing because it implies racists have a premise that’s fightable from and arrogant pricks think they can “win” while somehow innoculated from poisoning.

• No one will be challenging Bannon with much rigour at that. He wouldn't go on if his opponents were actually scary. Do not feed the trolls, Journalism.
  • I'll grant them one thing, it really does seem like their outlook on the world hasn't changed in 175 years.
  • I thought the anti-Semitism nonsense was dug up by dreadful Blairite/centrists after they'd exhausted every other angle of attack and nothing had stuck - after such scares as 'Stasi-gate' (Corbyn has a secret file confirming he's a filthy commie) which sadly for them turned to be a load of nonsense, them all resigning as publically as possible, the failed leadership elections ('vote arrrggghhhh for Angela!') that Seamus Milne was Corbyn's sinister link to Putin and was pulling the strings behind the bearded one's shadowy rise on behalf of the Kremlin, that Corbyn was too white and male and needed to be replaced by a nice, sensible moderate woman (because feminism), that Corbyn somehow caused Brexit, that every single new member was a Trot or just some clueless youngster who didn't really understand politics (or didn't understand that they were not welcome in politics and that they should just fuck off & leave it to the Oxbridge types) ... etc, etc.

It's weird that there's almost no record of moral giants like Margaret Hodge and others giving a shit about anti-Semitism until recently, when they suddenly began devoting all their time to the brave fight against it...
  • Opportunism like that of Hodge, whose desire to get rid of Corbyn is longstanding, is certainly a big part of it. It's also true that the Israeli government and its supporters have been using accusations of anti-Semitism for a good while now to try and discredit Palestinian rights groups.

But it's not nothing, and the reason it's an issue with Labour in particular is because of the support for Palestinian rights and criticism of the Israeli government that tends to come more from left-wing politics (i.e. people with a conscience). The truth is that criticism of Israel does sometimes slip into rhetoric about Jewish conspiracies and the like, and that the leadership in some pro-Palestinian causes doesn't clamp down on it quickly enough. I think Corbyn and Labour have been guilty of this.

Even so, I also think that they are now far more aware of it and are taking measures to deal with it. The definition and examples they produced were actually very strong and legally enforceable, unlike the IHRA text, which will in fact make it more difficult to prosecute cases due to its 'woolly' language. The idea that Corbyn is an anti-Semite is absurd, and is contradicted by his record on support for Jewish causes, but he wasn't attentive enough to the concerns of parts of the Jewish community. Recently though, he seems to have been doing what's necessary to satisfy (both Jewish and Palestinian) people who have genuine, well-informed concerns.
  • Hmmm, it's a matter of how much these concerns have been stoked and encouraged though isn't it? 

"Ah, so you're a Jew who's vaguely concerned about anti-semitism? We should meet and discuss this, first on the Six O'Clock News, then Newsnight, then in a few newspaper pieces ... Would you say Jeremy Corbyn is actually worse than Himmler? Can I put that out as a tagline, y'know, to help drum up some media interest?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If that was how this happened, then sure, but there’s not much evidence of that. The 68 rabbis who signed that open letter don’t appear to have been cajoled into it by a journalist, for instance.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If that was how this happened, then sure, but there’s not much evidence of that. The 68 rabbis who signed that open letter don’t appear to have been cajoled into it by a journalist, for instance.

That wouldn't be completely unlike 68 priests complaining that it's unfair on Catholics that the Catholic church is being blamed for covering up numerous sex scandals.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t see the parallel TBH.
  • The 68 rabbis who wrote this pearler you mean?

It is not the Labour party’s place to rewrite a definition of antisemitism accepted by the Crown Prosecution Service, College of Policing, the Scottish parliament, the Welsh assembly, the National Union of Students, and 124 local authorities, including scores of Labour-held councils, including Haringey and Greater Manchester – but above all else, accepted by the vast majority of Jewish people in Britain and globally.
  • The way I understand it … an official Jewish group wrote a definition of antisemitism, in the hopes that public bodies etc would adopt it as part of their own internal policy guides. Lots of places did, because it makes their lives easier. Much simpler than writing their own. Labour, bless ’em, decided it wasn’t fair or thorough or legal enough and wrote their own. Or made some changes. As one of the few organisations to actually take some care over their policy, instead of copy/pasting, they are now getting pelters.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, the issue is mostly the lack of engagement with Jewish groups when doing this, which was a terrible idea considering the wider context.
  • Okay, fair comment. But that’s not actually the way the issue is being communicated. The way it’s being communicated is “CORBYN HATES JEWS”. Which clearly isn’t a fair and proportional response.
  • Not that the British tabloid press (and/or Government) have ever been fair and proportional in their responses to anything.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Where is it being communicated like that? Pretty much all the takes I’ve read have been far more nuanced than that and most even go out of their way to say that the writer doesn’t believe that Corbyn personally hates Jews.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ah, tabloids. Those aren’t the takes I’ve been reading.
  • Again, that’s fair. But it’s the tabloid/Facebook takes that massive swathes of the UK have been reading.
  • Corbyn’s a dick. Get rid.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Where is it being communicated like that? Pretty much all the takes I’ve read have been far more nuanced than that and most even go out of their way to say that the writer doesn’t believe that Corbyn personally hates Jews.

Have you forgotten Margaret Hodge screaming in Corbyns face that hes an anti semetic racist?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d have had to have seen it to have forgotten it.
  • So things are only happening if you've personally witnessed them.
  • *tree doesn’t fall in forest*
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s quite patently not what I said.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It looks like the suspects involved in the Skipal poisoning have been identified.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-45421445

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!