Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    If this was a man we wouldn't even be discussing it.

That's not true. I'm sure there have already been a number of cases where people have been allowed back into the country after fighting in Afghanistan as enemy combatants. Mostly blokes. Probably shuttled onwards to Guantanamo thereafter, but wtf... 

I agree with most of what you wrote above though. I mean, I think she's a calculating bitch (pardon the french), and should be punished in someway, but this ruling (not allowing her back to the UK) is probably wrong... It's also what ISIS wanted, I'm sure.

Kinda draws attention to how the West handles refugees generally.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    She's a idiot, she has to be punished in some way. Yes.
    But this is also a judgment that hurts her family. Right?

They are not criminals.
  • Who's saying they're criminals? Their citizenship isn't being revoked.
  • You can't punish me for this crime because my mum will be sad, lol.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    She has a newborn baby who is presumably left in legal limbo thanks to this decision.
  • So … if she comes to the UK and goes to prison, then her child goes to the grandparents and gets NHS care, UK schools, etc. Everybody’s happy, no?
  • NO POPPO. WE HATE HER AND SOME OTHER COUNTRY SHOULD LOOK AFTER HER COS ITS NOT OUR PROBLEM.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I hope all you fairy liberals remember your principles when the fascists rule this country and toss ozno out or worse.

Or will you embrace the right think of the times then?

Letting this woman back into this country would be a political disaster. She will not be convicted of a serious crime, she will barely be in prison, and she will just parade around east London, tell gallant stories of the noble state which was let down by those who did not sufficiently believe, and bombed by the west.

She will raise her kid a fundamentalist Muslim.

If we take her kid and put it into care, she'll be a martyr.

If we give it to the grandparents, well they didn't exactly do a sterling job with this one did they? But I suppose they learned their lessons.

We all have a choice. She chose this. She was 15, but that's old enough to choose. Fuck. Her.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    She has a newborn baby who is presumably left in legal limbo thanks to this decision.

And if for no other reason that's why revoking her citizenship seems wrong.  I assumed dyna was taking about her non-four-day-old family.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I note that the language around her potential dual-nationality has shifted.
    The home secretary, Sajid Javid, wrote to her family informing them he had made an order revoking her citizenship. He said the fact Begum’s parents are of Bangladeshi heritage means she can apply for citizenship of that country – though Begum says she has never been there.

I can’t see this standing up in court, we aren’t about to start disregarding international law. She’s coming back to the U.K, it was irresponsible of Javid to suggest that there was a possibility she might not.
  • This is the party of Windrush remember, they'll try anything.
  • I thought we had draconian terror laws where we can lock people up at home indefinitely if they're inciting it, or pose a risk or whatever.
  • She chose this. She was 15, but that's old enough to choose. Fuck. Her.

I’m with you there. And I agree that she’s a dangerous symbol ripe for propagandist use.

I’m less sure on the solution. I mean, I don’t know what anti-terror laws we have and what could be enforced. I don’t know whether you’re right that she would be swanning around East London in the near future.

I think she’s a UK citizen. I think we’re responsible for dealing with her shit, unfortunately.

We don’t and can’t live in isolation, whatever the Brexiters may think. IS and radicalisation are a threat to damn near everybody, not just the British. If we don’t deal with her, what then? She still becomes a symbol. She’s still a potential flashpoint for all sorts of bullshit, wherever the fuck she lives in the world.
  • But seriously, people like Begum pose a potential threat to national security if you let them back in.
    They are radicalised and most likely suffer from ptsd. If you let them back in you have to de-radicalise them otherwise you risk them spreading IS beliefs among other youth in the population.

Ozno's suggestion is the most sensible but also the harshest as she was just a kid when she got groomed. The question is does the government have the will and the funds for a programme to de-radicalise returning IS youth like her? I suspect not, especially with Brexit on the agenda and the upcoming unavoidable recession following it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Presumably these deradicalisation programmes already exist, she’s not the first ISIS member to return to the U.K. by a long shot.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, we’ve surely got a better chance of deradicalising her than either Syria or Bangladesh.
  • Easy answer = drone strike.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I'm not posting anymore ITT because no one laughed at my glorious page turn joke
  • I think if there are countries where mass murderers (Brevik, Bryant) can be sentenced for life and not a fake 15 year 'life' sentence then there is nothing to suggest that this woman can't or shouldn't face a similar sentence, albeit with a slim chance of release if she is demonstrably deradicalised.

Her child shouldn't face oblivion because of bad choices on her part, but at the same time I doubt that she should be able to indoctrinate them either. The welfare rights of that child trump her rights.

Oddly, this could have been resolved far quicker if the British government had recognised ISIS as a legitimate state. Then they could have stripped every expat of British citizenship and they would all be up shit creek right now. And then just de-recognise ISIS as soon as the flow of recruits drops.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'm not posting anymore ITT because no one laughed at my glorious page turn joke

I didn’t get the joke. (That’s not a request to explain it, mind)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Me neither.
  • I thought it was simply a joke about the UK being notorious/renowned for routinely exporting terrorists. You know, like in films - from the director of Avatar comes ...
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • There was those four Isis beheaders with English accents. Remember what their nickname was?

I'm flouncing
  • The Fast and the Furious 4?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • There was those four Isis beheaders with English accents. Remember what their nickname was? I'm flouncing

Not a second time.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    I thought it was simply a joke about the UK being notorious/renowned for routinely exporting terrorists. You know, like in films - from the director of Avatar comes ...

Don't encourage him... It's not the best work of satire... XD
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I got the reference...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!