Current Affairs
  • So what caused the police to determine he should be shot? Was he restrained on the floor or not?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The guy was getting up, then got shot. The footage isn't graphic imo (filmed from a car, bit shaky, no clear bullet entry but see him go limp) but still yeah don't watch if you don't want to see that kind of stuff.
  • From the footage I saw the public had him held down.
    Police arrived and the public got off him, once clear he was shot.

The footage is from a good distance away though and it isn't clear if he may have had something in his hand like a trigger or whatever, or indeed what he was saying.

I think a general rule of thumb is if you are wearing what looks like a bomb vest and start stabbing people you will get shot.

edit: yeah also what Nick said
  • It’s PC gone mad.
  • Classic profiling.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    So what caused the police to determine he should be shot? Was he restrained on the floor or not?

Yes, he was, by civilians. The police turned up, didn't have time to fully assess the situation or talk to the civillans restraining him. The police instructed the civilians to move away. They all did bar one, who the suspect (who the police had no idea if he was holding another weapon or not) had hold of and would not let go. The police managed to pull him away from the attacker. The attacker, who appeared to be wearing what looked like an explosive vest didn't comply with police instructions to stay still and started to sit himself up. At that point he was shot.

I can't see what else the police could do in the circumstances.

• There's a cop with a taser, and two with guns (smgs?); yeah a member of the public is wrestling with the guy, armed copper pulls him away, guy on ground starts getting up, cops shoot him.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I thought all 3 had guns. I didn't see a taser.
  • Jeez sounds terrible.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I thought all 3 had guns. I didn't see a taser.

I'm no expert. I thought the cop on the left had what looked like a small yellow thing in his hand?
  • MattyJ wrote:
    So what caused the police to determine he should be shot? Was he restrained on the floor or not?

Yes, he was, by civilians. The police turned up, didn't have time to fully assess the situation or talk to the civillans restraining him. The police instructed the civilians to move away. They all did bar one, who the suspect (who the police had no idea if he was holding another weapon or not) had hold of and would not let go. The police managed to pull him away from the attacker. The attacker, who appeared to be wearing what looked like an explosive vest didn't comply with police instructions to stay still and started to sit himself up. At that point he was shot.

I can't see what else the police could do in the circumstances.

This is my understanding of the situation. Bear in mind we have access to limited information, the officers on scene were having to make quick decisive decisions under the extreme pressure of rapidly changing circumstances and there’s no way that armed response officer would’ve pulled that trigger unless he thought it was absolutely necessary.

It’s a horrible situation for sure.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I thought all 3 had guns. I didn't see a taser.

I'm no expert. I thought the cop on the left had what looked like a small yellow thing in his hand?

A banana?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Maybe, I didn't see it though. This is what Andy was on about when he said people aren't reliable witnesses. We've both watch probably exactly the same video and remember different versions of events.
  • Maybe, I didn't see it though. This is what Andy was on about when he said people aren't reliable witnesses. We've both watch probably exactly the same video and remember different versions of events.

You’re right about that. Speak to 10 different people and you’ll likely get 10 different versions of the same event
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • In fairness I watched the video a number of times, then checked again when you posted. There's definitely something yellow there imo.
  • It was horrible, I wished I didn’t watch it. Also clearly yes, the police responded correctly given the circumstance. Who knows what the dude had or what he might have done otherwise. He had already hospitalised 5 people.

They let us out of the building about an hour ago and I’m on the overground home, was pretty scary when people ran into the office not long after the gunshots went off.
  • I saw footage earlier, filmed from a bus.

I’ve been at incidents where members of the public have restrained someone. When Police take over, people remain within ten feet, watching the conclusion. It’s human nature.

In today’s incident, the members of the public take to their heels and run, then the guy is shot. That tells me they’ve seen or heard something to give them cause to get away.

As a former AFO, in that situation you don’t fuck about with a taser. You eliminate the threat.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    In fairness I watched the video a number of times, then checked again when you posted. There's definitely something yellow there imo.
    I'm not saying your unreliable
  • nick_md wrote:
    In fairness I watched the video a number of times, then checked again when you posted. There's definitely something yellow there imo.
    I'm not saying your unreliable

Ah yeah I know mate, was just saying I wasn't going by memory, I checked again. From Andy's post it sounds like I'm wrong tho.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Maybe, I didn't see it though. This is what Andy was on about when he said people aren't reliable witnesses. We've both watch probably exactly the same video and remember different versions of events.

You’re right about that. Speak to 10 different people and you’ll likely get 10 different versions of the same event

I don't think the two events you're referring to are equatable.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

I don't think the two events you're referring to are equatable.

I'm not, don't worry. I'm just saying that Andy is right that people don't make good witnesses.
  • I’m not saying there wasn’t an officer with taser drawn, just that in certain circumstances, you don’t wait to see if it’s going to work.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nick's right, the video I saw was filmed from further down the road, so the officer you refer to as being on the left in the video was standing with his back to the camera in the video I saw.
  • I'm very rarely wrong, lads.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    One of the previous attacks (Manchester arena or London Bridge) happens just before a general election didn't it? I wonder if this is a coincidence or deliberate.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    BBC reporting that two victims have died.
  • Fuck. Fuck fuck. That’s horrible
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Fuck. I've only just seen this now.

Another terror attack before an election, same style, in the same place?

Fucked.

God bless the victims.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!