Current Affairs
  • It’s easy to miss world news at the moment with so much STUFF happening everywhere. I hadn’t heard until today about the worst locust swarms in 30 years hitting India last month.

https://time.com/5846539/india-locust-pandemic

Four-mile long swarms. Fuck. That.
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s easy to miss world news at the moment with so much STUFF happening everywhere. I hadn’t heard until today about the worst locust swarms in 30 years hitting India last month.

https://time.com/5846539/india-locust-pandemic

Four-mile long swarms. Fuck. That.

Maybe they are just social distancing?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sooooo this Madeline McCann thing huh?

The entire thing has never sat right for me, that these people are somehow special so had millions of pounds raised to find their kid, when they fucking left them alone in the apartment in another fucking country. Always found the entire thing... Off.

And now there is some random suspect in a German prison
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • You'd be surprised how stupid people are.
    Even (especially?) the educated ones.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The educated ones are sometimes worse, because they don't think they are capable of being stupid.
  • All over the front pages though, must be a slow news month.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    JMW wrote:
    All over the front pages though, must be a slow news month.

Funny how somethings the press is happy to move on from, and others not.
  • There does seem to be something in this for once mind. Not just some dozy cunt spotting a blonde teenager in downtown Tel Aviv.
    The fact the German police have moved to a murder investigation independently of the Met suggests they know something
  • I didn't realise the dad was in a German prison.
  • This German guy had a history of abusing kids didn't he? Made a call from the area on his mobile an hour before she disappeared, and registered the van into a new name the day after. Certainly a lead worth following.
  • nick_md wrote:
    This German guy had a history of abusing kids didn't he? Made a call from the area on his mobile an hour before she disappeared, and registered the van into a new name the day after. Certainly a lead worth following.
    Jag not the van but yeah seems like a decent lead.
    The question is how they plucked it seemingly out of thin air then immediately went to murder. I suspect a confession.
  • India outrage after pregnant elephant dies eating 'firecracker fruit'

Wildlife officials in India are investigating the death of a pregnant elephant after it ate a pineapple containing firecrackers.

The incident in Kerala caused outrage after a forest official posted about the death on social media.

It's unclear if it was an accident, who planted the explosives or why. The animal spent days in pain before dying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-52918603

This makes me so fucking angry, i hope whoever did this dies a horrible painful death themseleves fucking wankers.
  • What a cunt move.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • So sunday trading laws maybe relaxed for a year to help the economy. I hope this goes through. Cameron was defeated in this by tradionalist conservatives. Its just annoying that shops need to shut by 4/5pm.
  • I'm torn tbh. On the one hand it's very convenient that we can shop longer on Sunday, but on the other, I wouldn't mind if all shops closed on Sundays and more retail staff got to spend time at home on a weekend with their families.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Do one or the other. It's a day written off either way, it was alright when businesses used to give time and a half or even double time for Sundays but that seems rare these days.

If we go full hours we will never go back mind. Remember when VAT temporarily went up to 20%.
  • I always forget that you still have Sunday trading laws in England.
  • Reading. Oh dear. Any further info folks?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Tim Westwood trending over predatory sexual behaviour.

'Urban Jimmy Saville' is one comment :/
  • Tail end of last week and the weekend has been an absolute mountain of claims about people exhibiting predatory sexual behaviour in games, comics, comedy, art - you name it. Just tons of it, but no "big" names to people outside of those scenes so it feels like it's been flying under the radar a little despite their being a huge resurgence in claims - it's a domino effect, one person getting the courage to speak their experiences outside their whisper network emboldens others, but it's awful how many creative industries are dominated by awful gatekeepers.
  • There seems to have been an explosion of predatory behaviour revelations across all sorts of industries in the past few weeks.

Maybe some of it is a snowball effect – feeling empowered to speak up after seeing others do the same.

Maybe some of it is due to covid frustration – the world’s on fire, if I don’t speak out now I never will. And maybe a feeling of relative safety in that the offenders are out of sight during lockdown.

Maybe some of it’s inspired by Black Lives Matter – fighting one injustice reminds you to fight others too.

I dunno. But it can only be a good thing, whatever the causes. Even just locally, I’ve seen a bunch of revelations in professions as weird as comics, wrestling and tattooing/piercing over the past week or two.
  • Fuck these shitlords. Some of them are the absolute bottom of the barrel rando stream twats, I can't believe they're so fucking brazen with such little "rep" to defend them that they've done what they've done. Fucking abhorrent cunts.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • *Edit: Yeah, what 10p said.
  • Sounds like TW (who btw is just 9 years younger than the NHS, wtf) was targeting young black women, so perhaps the BLM movement has helped this come out.

I always just thought he was a bit of a cringey joke, but seems it was well known to many.

https://twitter.com/blktwn/status/1274984921375932417
  • Son of a Bishop, isn’t he?
  • Something like that.
  • I am now wondering if you saw the tattooing stuff about a guy in Glasgow. Ev has two tattoos by him, so she was a bit cut up when the news came out. Bit different from liking Woodsy Allen films, you rarely end up with them embedded in your flesh.

It's absolutely insane how rife it is though, the frustrating part is that the vast majority of it is (at least  from the stuff I read in the art/comics/games scene) is that it's never illegal. It's just gross stuff. The use of power to get your kicks. It's existed since time immemorial, I think the issue these days is the veneer of progressiveness that these communities and often these people put forward.
  • Hadn't heard any other stuff tbh, just saw TW pop up today. The tattoo question is an awkward one for sure, I can imagine not wanting to have something permanent that associated with someone reprehensible (can't find any details on this Glasgow thing).

Aside, DYK that time immemorial was technically 6 July 1189? I always enjoyed that nugget.
  • I did not know that, it is interesting!
  • Yeah, there was the #SpeakingOut on UK wrestling Twitter, which obviously doesn't involve many names people would know outside BritWres, but does include a fair few WWE signed talents. Biggest one so far has been Jack Gallagher, who WWE have released, but I doubt anout outside wrestling knows who he is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!