Current Affairs
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Eh, if I'm not making myself clear enough to be understood after all dem posts I guess I have to give up
    It's clear. It's just wrong.
    So - you think that Hebdo were not, and are not being racist? Because that's like, my only point. The fact that they hide behind a "see terrorists you'll never win..." so that they can get away with "...against our racism".
    This is the point I originally responded to.
    Funkstain wrote:
    People defending Hebdo for publishing insulting cartoons on purpose after what happened, are in my view totally missing the point of what Hebdo are trying to do, which absolutely is "fuck you muzzos"
    This doesn't say "hebdo are racist" this says "defending them is wrong because they are racist" and also "they are lying about their reasons for doing this". First point is wrong, second one is a supposition which I disagree with. They haven't hid their views in the past. I don't see why they'd do it now. 

This is now an argument about an argument (or a debate about a debate, or an argument about a debate). We're both clear, we both disagree, so dunno. I'll try and leave it here before it gets too tetchy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Completely agree with Funks posts.

Yes Hebdo can be principled and say you aren’t going to stop us. We stand against terrorism, but at what and who’s cost? If some shit happens after this, knowing that it could and people die are people saying that is a price worth paying for “freedom of speech”? How far do those beliefs go? How many should die to protect someone printing or saying something shitty?

I don’t understand why people can’t see that while the murderers are horrible horrible people, inciting them seems a foolish act at best.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    There is no-one on this forum who has said anything like " they shouldn't print this cos they could get killed / deserve what they get / etc ". it's a straw man argument and I don't understand who it is for, since obviously everyone in here is in agreement with such an obvious point.

Just to be clear, this is actually what most of us are arguing. The question is not Hebdo are hiding behind bravery to get a racist poke in. I'm not sure they are or are not in this case, but that hasnt been what got most of us posting. Its this line of thought:
    b0r1s wrote:
    If this causes more terror attacks they should be held responsible. Why would you do this?
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    If there is another terror attack on hebdo staff then the magazine is to blame for poking the Hornets nest again. There are enough nutters out there who take this stuff far too seriously and are willing to throw their lives away for retribution. So why risk it again? Stupid of hebdo.
    LivDiv wrote:
    Publishers have to so people don't get shot.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    So no, probably not fully to blame, but you can't now reasonably expect to do this and if something shit happens in France, wash your hands of responsibility.

Thanks for choosing one post of mine RedDave when I even responded to you and tempered by initial angry response.

Or this...
    b0r1s wrote:
    And in no way am I excusing the killers. But second time around you should expect some backlash. Why piss people off. This smacks of freedom of speech bordering on freedom to incite. It’s divisive and doesn’t need to happen. I just hope that no one reacts to this beyond some Twitter outrage.

I think I am being fair and balanced in my discussion of this subject. I am saying killers are shits and Hebdo are shits for taking risks with peoples lives when they don’t need to. No one wins if this goes south.
  • I wonder if Hebdo put it to a vote? I presume they did but I bet they didn't ask the cleaner.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Fuck violent intolerance against perceived insult.
    Fuck government censorship and the restriction of free speech and thought.
    Fuck insensitive and needlessly offensive messages aimed towards already marginalised groups.
  • I'm not sure the last two sit well together.
  • Out of interest, do people know why you're not supposed to draw a picture of the man?

I think that may be his point?
    SFV - reddave360
  • The right to free speech doesn’t mean anyone has to listen to you. And only arseholes interpret it as carte blanche to be a dick.
  • Because the man said so.
  • I haven't read the whole thread, just kinda skimmed the last two pages but here's my two cents for what it's worth (which is fuck all)

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence.

You're free to say and write whatever you want, other people are free to react in the way they deem fit and if that means consequences then that's partially on you for being an asshole.

It doesn't excuse violence but you can't expect to openly offend someone and not have some sort of reaction.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Exactly. I could call Wookie a cunt, but I should expect a roundhouse to the face for it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Exactly. I could call Wookie a cunt, but I should expect a roundhouse to the face for it.

There ya go. Like I said, my opinion even though it's worth fuck all
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • No you should not, although he is a policeman.

We already have the social mechanisms to start to work against racism and general cuntery, legal and governmental intervention is not and absolutely should not be needed when it comes to what groups and people can say.

In this instance what use would intervention from the French government be? This has clearly sparked plenty of healthy debate, denouncement, and hopefully some self awareness, which is what is needed for progress.
  • Only when I'm on shift, Im signed off for a month so I'm just plain old wookie
  • I haven't read the whole thread, just kinda skimmed the last two pages but here's my two cents for what it's worth (which is fuck all) Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence. You're free to say and write whatever you want, other people are free to react in the way they deem fit and if that means consequences then that's partially on you for being an asshole. It doesn't excuse violence but you can't expect to openly offend someone and not have some sort of reaction.

I don't think many people would be all too bothered if the reaction was a protest outside their office, or an advertiser boycott or something.

The reason you can't draw the man is to prevent idoltry. I'd say that's backfired spectacuarly.
  • Only when I'm on shift, Im signed off for a month so I'm just plain old wookie

On full pay? A mate (a pc) was telling me the met will sign you off on full pay for 6 months if your going through a gender identity crisis.
    We already have the social mechanisms to start to work against racism and general cuntery, legal and governmental intervention is not and absolutely should not be needed when it comes to what groups and people can say. In this instance what use would intervention from the French government be? This has clearly sparked plenty of healthy debate, denouncement, and hopefully some self awareness, which is what is needed for progress.

I don't agree with this. I'd obvs like to believe in free speech but I think you should be prosecuted for saying racist stuff. Most awful behaviour, probably any behaviour, is learned. If you're forced to be nicer then it might take a generation or two but it will result in nicer actions, even if that means giving up a little freedom. 

Now it's true that you can't break out of a cycle of hate without having free speech in the first place, and the way AI is going we'll probably have to ask our monitors for permission to piss in 30yrs, but I still think total free speech is a silly idea.
  • The only way to legally restrict free speech is for the people in power to decide what is and is not permissible to say. 

Take a look at the people currently in power.
  • monkey wrote:
    The only way to legally restrict free speech is for the people in power to decide what is and is not permissible to say.  Take a look at the people currently in power.
    Ah well, we're grand so. I guess that's that.  Side note - quite enjoyed this debate for the morning. I know some here hate when threads go this way but I quite like reading the different points brought forward, even if they disagree with me.
    I haven't read the whole thread, just kinda skimmed the last two pages but here's my two cents for what it's worth (which is fuck all) Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence. You're free to say and write whatever you want, other people are free to react in the way they deem fit and if that means consequences then that's partially on you for being an asshole. It doesn't excuse violence but you can't expect to openly offend someone and not have some sort of reaction.

I don't think many people would be all too bothered if the reaction was a protest outside their office, or an advertiser boycott or something. The reason you can't draw the man is to prevent idoltry. I'd say that's backfired spectacuarly.

Thats the reason? Oh wow, take about the point being missed in that case. Although it is a nice core concept for a religion - most go the opposite way in terms of statues and pictures.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The problem is how you define the boundaries of what is and isn't acceptable, the difference between satire and actual shittyness is often in the eye of the beholder.

Actual real discrimination by governments or organisations / direct verbal or physical abuse - these things can be categorised far more easily and should be dealt with in terms of the law. But trying to convert 'you can't say that' expressions into something that is legally punishable is a real fucking sketchy path to go down.
  • monkey wrote:
    The only way to legally restrict free speech is for the people in power to decide what is and is not permissible to say.  Take a look at the people currently in power.

As long as we vote them into power I don't have a problem with that. If the internet has taught us anything it's that people will believe anything. We're morons and need to be stopped.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Only when I'm on shift, Im signed off for a month so I'm just plain old wookie

On full pay? A mate (a pc) was telling me the met will sign you off on full pay for 6 months if your going through a gender identity crisis.

Well I'm certainly not going through a gender identity crisis...
  • monkey wrote:
    As long as we vote them into power I don't have a problem with that. If the internet has taught us anything it's that people will believe anything. We're morons and need to be stopped.
    But not by other morons.
  • The solution is simple. Be nice.

Don't be rude to people and don't kill people either.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • By a sort of collective moronity, hence democracy. It's not perfect but it'll have to do.
  • Vela wrote:
    The solution is simple. Be nice. Don't be rude to people and don't kill people either.

FinishedFinishedFieldmouse-max-1mb.gif

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!