Current Affairs
  • Can’t see automation making things easier in our lifetimes. It’ll just have us fighting even harder over scraps; dedicating our lives to gain expertise in pointless and unfulfilling roles until those too can be automated. None of this can change without a radical rethink of how we organize society. And this, in turn, probably can’t happen without some degree of violence.

I’m not suggesting this is ideal.
  • The challenge with violence is that it won’t come from the same people who need to be there for the day after the violence.
  • To reverse it: when was it generally better though? Maybe the early nineties?

I feel like the 90s was less late capitalist hellscape, but a lot more calling everything you didn't like "gay" so, it seems like a swings and roundabouts situation.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I was rowing back to a good time and we had the Cold War, the actual world wars (with Korean, Vietnam Iraq wars).

Going further back I think industrial revolution would have been awful from normal people but you also had the Raj.

So I hypothesise it’s always been bad.
  • Cheer up, the worst is yet to come..
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's always been bad, and usually worse. But it's probably as bad as its ever been for the last 40 years right now.
  • Just wait until 2021 when Cthulu arrives
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Just wait until 2021 when Cthulu arrives

To be honest, he'll probably take one look at the state of us and head straight back to the infinite void, shaking his tentacled head in disgust.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • He's going to be the Republican nominee for 2024.
  • JonB wrote:
    He's going to be the Republican nominee for 2024.

Well at least that's an improvement
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Things don't appear to be settling down at all in Belarus.
  • How about they just stop being dicks for a bit.
  • I don't think French people are allowed to.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If this causes more terror attacks they should be held responsible. Why would you do this?
  • If nothing happens it must mean the problem is solved.
  • Face palm gif
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • “Nobody’s talking about us any more, what with that coronavirus and all those black people mattering.”
    “I guess we need to do something controversial. Worked last time.”
    “Why not just use the same one again? We could reprint those cartoons and wind up the Muslims.”
    “People died last time. Are you sure?”
    “It made us famous though.”
    “Bon.”
  • I feel like it has to have something to do with this, what I don't know.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53972591

Maybe French magazines are just pricks.
  • Jesus wept.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If I remember correctly, the images that were disseminated amongst extremists at the time were not even the Charlie Hebdo ones, they were a bunch of different, far more extreme ones. I guess not many extremists buy Charlie Hebdo so they didn't notice.
  • I think I heard something similar but it was for the danish newspaper drawings.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    If this causes more terror attacks they should be held responsible. Why would you do this?

No, they should not be held responsible. I'm not for people mocking other peoples faith (well, maybe Catholics) but its still no excuse to put the blame on them instead of the pricks with the guns. We wouldnt be saying that BLM protesters are responsible for that 17 year old shooting them and its similar here.

And to be fair, it does read like there is a bit of a point linked to their show of defiance (maybe its to get more readers, maybe its because those working there still feel angry that they were targeted over some fucking cartoons) The trial of 2 of the gunmen begins this week hence the point - All that killing for this?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Time for some classic Screenwipe.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think I heard something similar but it was for the danish newspaper drawings.

O yeah, I might be confusing the two incidents now that I think of it.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    No, they should not be held responsible. I'm not for people mocking other peoples faith (well, maybe Catholics) but its still no excuse to put the blame on them instead of the pricks with the guns. We wouldnt be saying that BLM protesters are responsible for that 17 year old shooting them and its similar here. And to be fair, it does read like there is a bit of a point linked to their show of defiance (maybe its to get more readers, maybe its because those working there still feel angry that they were targeted over some fucking cartoons) The trial of 2 of the gunmen begins this week hence the point - All that killing for this?

I'm not saying mocking faith is the issue. It's clear that religious extremists used this as a call and excuse to actively kill people. We then got a terrible outcome. Why would that same publisher do that again knowing the potential risk to innocent lives? As a fuck you to the guys on trial? Guess what? They won't care. In fact, they'll feel even better if it does cause more attacks. So Charlie Hebdo get to make that decision? Seems selfish to me.

I also don't see the connection to the BLM shootings. The only way that would be relevant would be if one of the BLM protestors stood at the side, called the 17 year old kid a cracker redneck, got BLM protestors shot, then a few years later did it again, with the knowledge that their actions would likely cause this.

So no, probably not fully to blame, but you can't now reasonably expect to do this and if something shit happens in France, wash your hands of responsibility.
  • That same publisher had staff members killed. Reading the editorial that goes with the pictures, its feel genuinely like they wanted to make a point that the attack failed to do what it intended and that was to make people afraid to print certain things. 

The BLM thing is a bit tenuous I admit, but its more the fact that once someone thinks that what another said or wrote or drew deserves a gun shoot in response, I dont think the problem is the person making the remark, or drawing the picture. That 17 year old can say all he wants that he was trying to safeguard his neighbourhood from the nasty BLM protestors but fact is he brought a gun out which only has one use. I think the clip from an old Daily Show sums up how I feel about it. 

SFV - reddave360
  • I'm all for mocking other people's faith if it doesn't involve people getting shot.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!