• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    This VJ day stuff makes me uncomfortable, there's little to no discussion about how the allies nuked a civilian population to see what would happen and to flex. The argument 'it ended the war and more lives would've been lost if not' is complete horseshit that's been perpetuated by the victors.

Yep. Was reading an article about that last week. Even the military top brass conceded it wasn't necessary.  There was more politics in it - I'm sure the Yanks wanted to demonstrate what they had to Russia - though Stalin knew it about it anyhow - the Manhattan project was leaking like a sieve and they didn't know. Despite what the Americans may think today it was very much an international project - there was a significant British contingent too. 

What I didn't know was that the RAF were the reserve force to drop the bomb - called "Black Lancasters". The new USAF B29 Superfortress bombers didn't have a big enough bomb bay - it was split into two sections - and were having real problems getting it changed to be able to do the job.  The Lancasters didn't have the same range as the B29s but they figured out mid flight refuelling to be able to do the run. The Lancaster didn't have the same speed either so it would have been riskier making the escape after the drop but they could have done it. They were trained and ready.

So it could have been a very different thing looking back at those strikes today. We were all over it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • In hindsight, whatever really happened to make the bombing go ahead, only one thing I think matters is that those kinds of weapons are utterly horrific and should never have been used. Ever.

Britain happily nuked Australian Aboriginal lands too, so don't worry about the Lancaster pilots missing out on human rights abuse. Someone else did it .
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Basically if you want to test them, do it on your own soil.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    In hindsight, whatever really happened to make the bombing go ahead, only one thing I think matters is that those kinds of weapons are utterly horrific and should never have been used. Ever.

Same for flamethrowers.
  • Landmines, drones, gas, cluster bombs, biological agents.
  • Vela wrote:
    In hindsight, whatever really happened to make the bombing go ahead, only one thing I think matters is that those kinds of weapons are utterly horrific and should never have been used. Ever. Britain happily nuked Australian Aboriginal lands too, so don't worry about the Lancaster pilots missing out on human rights abuse. Someone else did it .
    There was also the firebombing of Dresden. Not quite the scale of the nuclear attacks, but still horrific.
  • Aye, and the Irish gave the world Jedward, Louise Walsh and Bono so we cant feign innocence either.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Let's not forget Ronan Keating and Westlife. A tuk tuk driver in Burma once sang me a few Westlife songs. I was shocked but not as shocked he was when I said I hated them.
  • Did he stand up and walk off the tuk tuk at the key change?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He called me a nation of begrudgers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    In hindsight, whatever really happened to make the bombing go ahead, only one thing I think matters is that those kinds of weapons are utterly horrific and should never have been used. Ever. Britain happily nuked Australian Aboriginal lands too, so don't worry about the Lancaster pilots missing out on human rights abuse. Someone else did it .
    There was also the firebombing of Dresden. Not quite the scale of the nuclear attacks, but still horrific.

There was fire bombing of Japanese cities too - war crimes all. But there are no war criminals on the side that wins a war.

My uncle was stationed on Christmas Island during the British atomic tests when he was in the RAF. They were test subjects too - no doubt about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The reason they dropped the nukes on Japan was a message to Russia. America knew at the end of the war USSR would have expansionist ambitions and they wanted to make the leadership pause. Hence we got the Cold War. Who knows what the world would have been like if they hadn’t but it has affected the world ever since. It has allowed America to perpetuate a twisted ideology where they are bringing peace and democracy to the world when we all know they have for 70+ years destabilised hundreds of countries for their own benefit. It’s sickening because they still see themselves as the good guys.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm sure the Russians see themselves as the good guys. I mean, who doesn't see themselves as the good guys?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I guess. But we don’t have it perpetuated across the world as we do with the US.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I mean, you ask any patriotic Spaniard and they'll tell you the rape, pillage and murder of South America never happened - they were there to help, educate and civilise. The good guys. Same for British Empire. I don't think the US is much different, it just has different methods.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep you’re right.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I guess. But we don’t have it perpetuated across the world as we do with the US.

Cold War?
  • I find all of these commentators, marina hyde and John Crace utterly depressing.

They make jokes but to no real end.
  • What end do you expect them to achieve exactly?
  • I’m not really sure but I think they remind me of a time when satire and embarrassment of incompetence was actually meaningfully impactful (resignations and so on).

Now it’s just clowns mocking from the sidelines (maybe all there is is smugness now). But in the mean time the tragedies keeps piling up with no real consequence.
  • I'd prefer it if they were allowed in briefings or pressers and then allowed to ask follow up questions tbh
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not far off Crayon. The ability to fart out a blog piece as opposed to a nuanced bit of satire has lessened the impact of something like a Greenaway or a Coe. There were politicians changing their mannerisms, tenor and delivery following Spitting Image. This time round it'll be Carry On Fucking Sucking.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Well Spitting Image is coming back now so there we are, problem solved.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The ability to fart out a blog post is insignificant next to the power of the Farce

See its fuckin easy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Well Spitting Image is coming back now so there we are, problem solved.

Hence my "this time round"
  • It all feels like it's just part of the game. It's coming from within the establishment, poking fun at itself, rather than from outside with any venom or purpose.
  • Anyone who has any venom or purpose is a "far left loony".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!