Current Affairs
  • Big explosion, very sad, we have the biggest explosions though, we're number one because we can explode more bigly, I did that, no other President has ever exploded as much as me in the history of the country, lowest unemployment explosion, we're doing a good job and you know I like Budapest, I do, but the economy best economy a real beautiful economy.
  • The BBC just summarised this explosion as ‘a third of a million survivors left homeless’.

Fucking hell. That’s … fuck.
  • Bloody hell, an insane number but I could well believe it when people were having their windows blown out 2km away.
    Lebanon can't handle this alone, this is going to take a huge global effort.

Israel are going to have to play ball, which to be fair they seem to be so far.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The size of the crater left by the explosion is insane.
    200805072055-01-beirut-aftermath-0805-large-169.jpg
  • Don't worry lads.
    Raab has just announced we are sending £5mil in aid. Problem solved mate.
  • Lets spend it in the NHS instead.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Don't worry lads.
    Raab has just announced we are sending £5mil in aid. Problem solved mate.

I'm sure that number will grow over time but to be fair, the UK is staring brexit in the face along with the crippling covid 19 issue. I'm guessing funds are tight.

But... Wouldn't it be nice if the private capitalist side of the world finally stood up for once and pledged vast amounts of their money to this. It would be nice if other countries weren't the only source of aid.

And please, no strings attached. Just send the money and prove capatilism really is a force for good.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I'm sure some will help. It will be the usual suspects helping and not helping.

Then the ones that help will fall prey to some alt right conspiracy dreamt up by the will nots. "Bill Gates only pledged to help so he can capture the gases for his micro chips".
  • Such a shame. It's such a beautiful place. I went there for a holiday about 15 years ago and it was one of my favourite trips. Took a while to get over all the bullet holes in buildings from war times but once I did I realised how friendly and welcoming the people were. Seemed like they were just excited to have tourists in town. Delicious food, stunning scenery and beautiful weather.

About an hour after our plane took off the was a car bomb attack about 5 minutes walk from the hotel we had stayed in...

Some of these places just can't catch a break and it makes me sad. I wonder if the unrest and hard times will ever not be a thing for the countries in that region. I hope so.

Maybe Bezos can check one of his pants pockets for loose change and provide aid enough for everyone in Beirut.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Plane crash in India doesn't look good :-(
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, but there does appear to be large portions of the plane intact, so hopefully there will be more survivors than not.
  • The BBC has a fascinating in-depth piece on their site about how a seized ship's cargo of ammonium nitrate came to be stored in a Beirut port warehouse for six years.
    Reads like a disaster that was doomed to happen eventually.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Shit. I thought it might have been just a holding area for agricultural nitrate. In which case it would just be poor design.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The storage of fireworks in the vicinity of the ammonium nitrate certainly does not help. Giant fuckup if there ever was one.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah that's insanity. I thought one of the remaining structures in the port looked like wheat silos so I assumed it was a regular transit point for agricultural bulk.

Regardless, an absolute tragedy.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A sad photo. Hadn't heard of this leak, but it can't be good for the local environment, or its tourism fur that matter which I imagine is already strained...

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1292453154588688384?s=19
  • typically jemblery cobwin, not caring about are uk laws and trubbles!
  • Yeah saw that a few days ago. Terrible news. Love Mauritius and it’s wildlife. Our favourite destination. Been there 5 times I think, in different resorts. Planning to go again next March/April if Covid situation improves.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What has Mauritius ever done for the UK? Let the foreigners deal with their own problems. © Twitter
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There has apparently been a train derailment near Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire. Lots of smoke and emergency services at the seen. Hopefully it isn't as serious as it looks.
  • Did anyone else just hear that Gurkha telling a story about his grandad in ww2? Told in detail about how he was fragging, then bayoneting Japanese before finishing off a bunch by smoking two out of a bunker then chopping their heads off as they ran out, because he was out of grenades.

7.20am on the Breakfast news, wtf.
  • It's not really current, hey!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WW2 - had the last horse mounted cavalry charges at it's start (the Polish attacked that way in at least one battle) and ended with 2 nuclear attacks.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • This VJ day stuff makes me uncomfortable, there's little to no discussion about how the allies nuked a civilian population to see what would happen and to flex. The argument 'it ended the war and more lives would've been lost if not' is complete horseshit that's been perpetuated by the victors.
  • Best to ignore it. It is just more nationalism and those celebrating wont listen.
    I dont remember VJ day ever being much of a thing in the UK until recently.
  • Certainly don't watch BBC Breakfast.

Although VJ day makes a change from the past week or so which has been solidly presenters acting confused about foreign travel or how to put a mask on.
  • Agreed, wiping out 2 cities full of civilians is arguably a war crime. Sure, they were unaware of the scale of the blast but the team who developed the bomb had to know due to their calculations.

They could've dropped a bomb into the sea as a warning shot and as an experiment to see if it works. They didn't tho, they dropped it on a city and when they witnessed the devastation they went and threw another bomb on a second city killing millions of civilians.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah I've always thought that was bullshit. There has to be ways of resolving conflict outside of the genocide of innocents.
  • hunk wrote:
    They could've dropped a bomb into the sea as a warning shot and as an experiment to see if it works. They didn't tho, they dropped it on a city and when they witnessed the devastation they went and threw another bomb on second city killing millions of civilians.

Yes I've thought this too. Military and politicians are just bloodthirsty.
  • Japan was on the verge of surrender, allied generals at the time knew this. And yeah, why not nuke an uninhabited island, or at least a military target or something? The idea that it was the lesser of two evils is shameful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!