Current Affairs
  • I think China is already investing in African states, so they will maintain control of production once it becomes viable in those areas.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    I think China is already investing in African states, so they will maintain control of production once it becomes viable in those areas.
    They absolutely are. Just one example, but they have been funding road and telecommunications infrastructure building in Kenya for decades.
  • Also, automation will carry much of the burden of labor costs.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Roujin wrote:
    I think China is already investing in African states, so they will maintain control of production once it becomes viable in those areas.
    They absolutely are. Just one example, but they have been funding road and telecommunications infrastructure building in Kenya for decades.
    They've been funding big public infrastructure in Africa for decades. It's mostly for access to rare earth minerals etc...

Industry will eventually move away from China, it already is to a degree, Vietnam, the Philippines, Thailand will be used and then Africa etc...
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • That whole interview was pretty interesting.
    His tone was very much of China being in control and the opinions of the UK not being of much importance.
    (Which let's face it is the reality)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's international opinion that is the concern for China though. It's interesting that they are actually starting to get called out for it now. There seems to be s coalescing of the western approach to China.

I'm too cynical to presume there is any altruism to this approach, and believe it's far more likely to be almost exclusively designed to constrain China's increased regional and global influence, but at least it might have the positive side effect of preventing (or at least reducing) the persecution of the Uighurs. That's a big "might" though.
  • The assumption in the West was that integrating with China economically would encourage them to open up and steer them towards a more liberal set up. It’s apparent now that’s not happening so they’re trying to realign the power balance a bit. I’ve only caught the gist of that Andrew Marr interview this morning but I don’t think he’d have been allowed to ask the Chinese ambassador about the Uighurs until very recently.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's my thinking too. I imagine a friendly contact in the Foreign Office probably had a chat with him (or his editor/producer) and gave him some pointers on where to press.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The EU has finally agreed on non-repayable payouts to the countries most affected by Covid, which is great news for Spain and Italy. It shows the Union working as it should in some form of solidarity anyway, despite fucking Holland being curmudgeons.
  • Aye, sorry about that :-(
  • Made a point way back pre-Brexit (or maybe after) about the Dutch in the EU - they’re socially conservative when it comes to the EU, despite what people may think due to Amsterdam, and tend to dislike “federal” EU movements. Not a surprise they didn’t want this.
  • Deffo not an “ever closer union” loving country.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also a de facto tax haven.
  • The VVD are the de facto cons in the netherlands and are the ruling party atm.
    So yeah, all the above is correct and not surprising. With the UK out they're filling the gap.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Even since his move to Liverpool?
  • Kow wrote:
    The EU has finally agreed on non-repayable payouts to the countries most affected by Covid, which is great news for Spain and Italy. It shows the Union working as it should in some form of solidarity anyway, despite fucking Holland being curmudgeons.

I wonder how the UK would have stood in this argument.

“We’re the best we don’t need any help”

“Except we had the most cases so we’ll take all the free money”

Would have been odd.
  • Deffo not an “ever closer union” loving country.

You’re right there. Even Amsterdam is a strongly anti-EU city. If the Netherlands ever held an EU referendum, it’d be a landslide for leave.
  • surely our buffoonery must have silenced a lot of anti-eu sentiment on the continent at this point?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I only have direct knowledge of Amsterdam (we have a studio there, I’m on video calls with the guys regularly). Basically the Dutch don’t give a toss about the UK. What we do has zero influence on the fact that they already hate the EU. They’re heavily nationalist and individualist. Thankfully, they have a progressive government trying hard to look out for them, despite their idiocy.
  • It only has to go wrong once for the thing to go nuts.

This is one of the worst aspects of parliamentary sovereignty you have to fight every day just to keep things reasonable but you can catch something by accident and before you know it all of the work can be trashed in a minute. Utterly depressing.
  • From what I’d seen I don’t know if they’d actually vote to leave, despite some common sentiment. They were a good ally for us in the EU and I’d argue that having Euro-sceptic countries in the union is no bad thing - I didn’t mean socially conservative as a slur.

It’s worth having countries like that to push back against the fact that the Franco-German alliance can bulldoze smaller countries. Having the British and the Dutch occasionally being, in pro-closer union eyes, dicks was useful for setting lines and avoiding those two countries having completely free reign.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    This doesn't sound good. But at least Russia and us are in the same side these days...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53518238
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That would be a very silly game to start playing. It could end up sending everyone back to the dark ages comms-wise.

Once you start taking out satellites you can say cheerio to your own. Idiotic.

Of course it may be attempts at some sort of clever method of listening in - even that could result in ludicrous games of cat and mouse that would be such a waste of time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Humans really are just fucking stupid. So much potential ruined by a parade of pompous psychopathic cunts.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Humans really are just fucking stupid. So much potential ruined by a parade of pompous psychopathic cunts.

Power really does attract the worst types of people.
  • I wonder if more accurately: power is aggressively acquired by the worst types of people.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, six of one...
  • We do have a habit in our societies to treat addiction to money and power as positives right up to the extreme then suddenly expect things to change.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!