Current Affairs
  • Conspiracy stuff like Q also is a very convenient route of mental escape for people who want to blame something for how shit life is, but don't want or don't believe that it's the system itself and the people controlling it in general who are the problem.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • if anyone's curious how these people think

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RealCovidNews/

edit- got my threads mixed up a bit. prob could have gone in the Covid thread.
  • I pinged that FB group to a mate and he sent me this back:

'From that FB group you posted':
    I am becoming more and more unpopular by the day and in despair now.
    I feel we are losing against the majority.
    ...actually quite reassuring :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    All those sheeple, letting themselves be tracked and monitored. Please like my picture.
  • I'm catching up on this whole Gamestop share price episode and am hoping literally everyone involved on all sides manages to lose.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Someone needs to make a statue of Jimmy Saville and Hitler high-fiving each other, and then erect it opposite Robert Jenrick's house.

Or a mountain of wheelbarrows with a plaque reading “Can you tell what it is yet?”.
  • So this would require vpn for most of you folks.

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/australias-shame-promo/7649462

New org I'm with does invasion day stuff instead of Oz day stuff. Part of which is watching this 4 corners from 2015.

I remember when it dropped I'd watched part and seen some short bits.

Watching the whole thing today. Brutal viewing.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • What the heck is going on with the Wall Street Bets subreddit on the verge of tanking a $14bn hedge fund that's gone too hard on shorting GameStop shares, by pumping upthe stock price themselves!?

You quite literally love to see it.

Can't wait to hear from all the stock market types coming on the news pointing out how dangerous this group of people are and not how pathetically weak the stock market actually is if you can tank investment firms by doing what they already do.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • For someone who doesn’t really understanding the stock market or how it works, hedge funds sound extremely dangerous and immoral to be.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Personally I'm loving to see how it's showing the stock market isn't really connected to the economy and how the company is doing, but people influencing it directly for greed.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Roujin wrote:
    What the heck is going on with the Wall Street Bets subreddit on the verge of tanking a $14bn hedge fund that's gone too hard on shorting GameStop shares, by pumping upthe stock price themselves!?

You quite literally love to see it.

Can't wait to hear from all the stock market types coming on the news pointing out how dangerous this group of people are and not how pathetically weak the stock market actually is if you can tank investment firms by doing what they already do.
    E09njea.jpg
  • Roujin wrote:
    What the heck is going on with the Wall Street Bets subreddit on the verge of tanking a $14bn hedge fund that's gone too hard on shorting GameStop shares, by pumping upthe stock price themselves!? You quite literally love to see it. Can't wait to hear from all the stock market types coming on the news pointing out how dangerous this group of people are and not how pathetically weak the stock market actually is if you can tank investment firms by doing what they already do.

This is an amazing story.

It shows us what we already knew, but does it in a more blatant fashion. We knew that markets could be manipulated. We knew that stock valuations could be completely detached from fundamentals (Tesla). Not sure I've ever seen it played out so publicly before though.

Begs the question, "is any stock investment safe?" considering an organised group could just come along and push the price in a particular direction.
  • How have a Reddit group managed to pump the value of the stock?
  • They did it by buying the stocks, pushing the price up.

There is a hedge fund who have options on the stock price declining, they make money the worse gamestop performs basically, and then what they do is engage in market manipulation/insider trading grey areas to manipulate the stock falling directly in the market, or by outside factors, like getting a lot of reporting done on how shit gamestop are doing and how they are a risky investment and how they might go out of business. Essentially they are making money off the loss of jobs and financial damage done to another company. 

They got caught because their position on Gamestock became known and the WSB subreddit realised that they could basically hold the fuckers to ransom or bankrupt the hedge fund buy buying shares to push the price up and make the hedge fund lose money on their bet that the stock price would decline. WSB investors (and anyone who saw Elon tweet about it because he is a salty potato over TSLA shares being routinely shorted by a diffferent hedge fund) will make money off this if they sell their shares while the price is high, however if too many of them sell their shares early, the share price will decrease and the hedge fund may be able to absorb the loss. 

There are two groups of people involved from the reddit side, part time people just looking to make a bit of money now by buying a few shares and selling them this week, and then there are people who have bigger holdings who are looking to drive the hedge fund to the wall and they will make their money based on whatever the final share price comes back down to after the hedge fund goes under and their stock holding gets liquidated.

Edity: A link on shot selling: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp
  • Also they are basically exposing the total hypocracy of trading practices as anything other than just straight up gambling in a rigged system.

Double Edit: Some people are also mad that these are basically the same fucks responsible for 2008 basically carrying on fucking other people over (both investors in the stock they are trying to manipulate downwards, and the people at gamestop who are losing their jobs if the company goes under) and have decided that they've had enough of traders ruining people's lives for profit.
  • Shorting has always felt like an insane thing to allow. Borrowing stock to sell at a high price in the hope it drops so you can buy it at the lower price and pocket the difference before returning it can only be a negative thing.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I see what you did there
  • Agree, it's a disgusting practice that you would only ever allow if you were completely detached from reality and didn't understand the effect that short selling stock has in the real world.
  • detached = couldn't give a fuck? or rationalise with "market forces would've killed the business anyway may as well make money in the short term"? that kind of sociopathy?
  • I guess here's a link to WSB subreddit if you want to watch a group random idiots on the internet collectively fucking "the man" in real time this week. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/
  • Funkstain wrote:
    detached = couldn't give a fuck? or rationalise with "market forces would've killed the business anyway may as well make money in the short term"? that kind of sociopathy?

Now you're thinking like a real trader!
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    So does anyone here actually do anything with stocks/shares?  Is this thing over or should I get in on this now?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    detached = couldn't give a fuck? or rationalise with "market forces would've killed the business anyway may as well make money in the short term"? that kind of sociopathy?
    I think that is the real view point.
    They treat it like a horse race. Betting on a horse to come last wont make it come last. Of course it isnt quite that simple in the reality of stock markets.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    Is this thing over or should I get in on this now?

Your guess is probably as good as anyone else’s here.
  • I don't and I wouldn't bother getting in on this anyway at this point, once the market opens this morning, it's going to go mental because of the coverage.
  • I wouldnt be going anywhere near either side of this if your goal is to make money.

If you buy at this late stage you will end up with massively over inflated stocks. Shorting is scummy but they target companies for a reason and GameStop isn't in a good place as an actual business. The shorters are morally wrong not technically wrong.
  • So they’re basically wolf of wallstreeting and actual famous company?

I thought only a small company could be affected by the pump and dump but you would think that a famous company would have less room for speculation.

Just listening to the Waypoint podcast but they also make the point that GameStop have had a good year so it’s not all clowning and fraud.

I know that shorting can be seen as objectively immoral but would people have a problem with shorting on, say, cigarette companies?

I think as a mechanism it’s a necessary part to let the rough and the smooth (and also if everyone only sells high who will buy that?)

• Christ that sub is a wild ride
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    So I'm too late?  Shit.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I think this person from Reddit summed it up very well in regards to whether shorts are good, or bad, or neither. 

To to start, you need to know what "shorting" a stock is. When someone thinks a stock is going to go down or a company will go bankrupt, they can borrow shares from their broker to open a "short" position. They then sell the shares immediately at the current market price. They have a specified amount of time to return the borrowed shares to the brokerage.

If the stock does go down, the investor buys that number of shares at the now lower current market price, and then returns them to the broker. He/she keeps the difference.

If the stock goes up, they have to "cover" their position. They can "buy-to-close" whenever they want, but many of them will wait for a very long time because they are large firms who have a lot of money and leeway with their brokerage. However, if a stock keeps going up and up, the brokerages can call the investor and demand the shares back to hedge their losses. This forced buying drives the price up even more, which then causes other brokerages to make the same phone call to their clients, and so on and so forth. This is called a "short squeeze".

---

GameStop is a declining brick-and-mortar video game retailer. Their management has not adapted to the digital world where many video games are downloaded instead of on discs. They have been making some moves in the right direction, such as closing underperforming stores and paying down some debt, but they need to reinvent themselves to succeed. Many large investors/firms have seen this coming and took out short positions a few years ago. The stock kept going down so the brokerages and banks hadn't called yet. GME is the most-heavily shorted stock on the market. More shares are shorted than are in circulation. It's called "naked short selling", it's complicated, and some of it is probably illegal but the SEC looks away.

Ryan Cohen founded Chewy.com when he was 25 and sold it six or so years later for $3.5 billion. Last August, he purchased 9% of GME's shares. When it was disclosed in the SEC filings, the stock went up 22% in a day (which is a LOT in normal circumstances). The thought being that he was going to attempt to take over the company. There was a lot of speculation online. In late November he wrote a strongly-worded letter to the Board of Directors.

Shortly before Christmas, he disclosed that he had bought more shares and now owns 12.9% of the company. He bought the new shares at $16ish, after buying the first batch around $4. When someone owns 10% or more of a company, there are heavy limitations on how much they can sell at one time, in a given period, and they have to disclose everything.

This signaled that he wasn't in it for a quick buck and he probably really was going to try to take over and modernize the entire company. Gamestop has something like 55 million members in their club/newsletter thing, and that data can be used to make a lot of money through targeted advertising and such. There have also been confirmed rumors that the company will be making a serious run at the fast-growing PC gaming market (many serious gamers build their own computers). Video game competitions are also very popular and can be capitalized on. The stock continued to slowly climb, with some sell-offs and such along the way. It was not for the faint of heart.

Fast-forward to January 10th, when it was announced that Cohen and two of his board members from Chewy were officially appointed to the GameStop Board. It was really looking like the theories from last fall were correct. The news sent the stock soaring and the investors who had short positions were in big trouble. Some of them started covering their debt, but many didn't and still haven't. The ones that did have incurred losses in the collective billions, and there are many more billions still out there that will be lost by short investors.

For the past two weeks, the pro-GameStop investors have shown great interest in the potential turnaround story of a store that plays a big role in their childhood memories. With the presence of Cohen and his buddies from Chewy, an e-commerce giant, small investors can see that GameStop is now undervalued to those who believe in the new Board members.

The stock has been incredibly volatile as the large investment firms try to drive the price down. One way they can do this by opening massive new short positions (AKA selling large chunks of shares all at once) as other shorts return their borrowed shares to the pool. This can be seen many times along the daily charts of GME, in nearly vertical declines. Knowing the potential of both Cohen and the short squeeze, small investors have been buying up all the dips. If the shares are being held, and not sold, they are unavailable to be returned to brokerages. This drives the price up even MORE as the short investors scramble to buy whatever shares are available to fill their debt before the price continues to rise. Eventually someone is left holding the shares purchased at the highest possible price, but in this once-in-a-lifetime case, it probably won't be someone with a net worth under $100 million.

Position: Go fuck yourself, shorts

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!