I, too, am Jackie.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    John Smith here. Happy enough with that.
  • XNkw1ab.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Peter Moore

Just like Peter Moore, you stand up for what's right, don't like to make a fuss and kinda resemble Jeremy Corbyn

Lot of hard questions though, could have clicked myself through this with completely different answers and it would still be true.
  • John smith - don’t wield power but actually in charge.
  • Britney Spears here too.
  • Lolwut says I’m Jackie
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    About right
  • This Facebook ruck in Australia hasn't half inspired some journalistic bad takes. Channel 4 there coming down squarely on the side of subsidising the Murdoch press and removing the freedoms of the web without any opposing view. Krishnan going all in with the war analogies as well.
  • So they banned news sites from Facebook all together in Oz? Was it due to misinformation being spread by news sites in there?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The Australian government wanted Facebook to pay every time someone linked to an Australian news story. Nothing to do with privacy or conspiracy stuff, just a way to make sure that the media got paid. Facebook decided it was easier not to let users link to the content.
  • Sounds fair enough? Why did the government think they could charge a private company for the links??
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • God knows. Thought they could ride the current wave of social media distrust. To be fair, Gooogle did agree to pay, but I think their only option would have been to remove the search engine in the country.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Facebook and Google do both make a shitload of money from news, with very little going back to the companies that produce it.

I can see the logic behind this, even if it’s poorly designed as is.

Also, Facebook didn’t help itself with this by completely fucking up its removal of news and blocking government departments during a vaccine rollout.
  • I totally get wanting to make them pay for news, but you can't cry about it being an outrage when they say they won't bother with news then.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think it's just they turned off more than just news - eg the government, and themselves
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Facebook deletes itself, shocker.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I think it's just they turned off more than just news - eg the government, and themselves

Exactly.
  • It's all fucking bollocks. It's just big evil industry A wanting money from big evil industry B. Google and others give the news companies free traffic and advertisement, and they want want a cut of their revenue for the privilege. It's just big news companies lobbying the Aus gov to get free shit from the behemoths rather than try and actually innovate or compete.

With its moves today, Google has now invited every other country to pursue a similar protection racket. Parliament members in Canada and the European Union have already endorsed measures similar to Australia’s. And a basic tenet of the open web — that hyperlinks can be freely displayed on any website — just took a body blow.

I’d feel better about this if publishers said a single word about how much of their new Google revenue they planned to spend on journalists’ salaries or news gathering.

They didn’t, though, and why would they? Australia’s bargaining code doesn’t say one word about requiring that any of this money be spent on journalism, either.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/18/22288510/google-facebook-australia-news-media-bargaining-code
  • As for Facebook blocking news feeds -

lmp2YVq.gif

It's a perfect opportunity for everyone there to just STOP FUCKING USING FACEBOOK.
  • I was gonna say a Facebook with 0 current affairs sounds like a vast improvement to me.

Just let it reach its inevitable final state, menopausal women sharing pictures of terriers and cakes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's all fucking bollocks. It's just big evil industry A wanting money from big evil industry B. Google and others give the news companies free traffic and advertisement, and they want want a cut of their revenue for the privilege. It's just big new companies lobbying the Aus gov to get free shit from the behemoths rather than try and actually innovate or compete.

With its moves today, Google has now invited every other country to pursue a similar protection racket. Parliament members in Canada and the European Union have already endorsed measures similar to Australia’s. And a basic tenet of the open web — that hyperlinks can be freely displayed on any website — just took a body blow.

I’d feel better about this if publishers said a single word about how much of their new Google revenue they planned to spend on journalists’ salaries or news gathering.

They didn’t, though, and why would they? Australia’s bargaining code doesn’t say one word about requiring that any of this money be spent on journalism, either.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/18/22288510/google-facebook-australia-news-media-bargaining-code

The traffic is worth pretty much fuck all, certainly nothing like enough to sustain a media which can do things like investigative reporting.
  • It's been a cluster fuck for sure.

The collateral damage, ie sites that got banned that shouldn't have been has been quite something.

But also, as many have pointed out, fb crying we can't do anything about nazis etc on fb have basically proved it's a matter of will and money, not lack of ability.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The traffic is worth pretty much fuck all

Is it? -
    Easton says that in the past year, Facebook sent more than 5 billion clicks to Australian publishers, whose value he estimated at AU$407 million. If the current situation holds, Facebook will send those same publishers zero clicks — a move that, I imagine, may force publishers to recalibrate in their minds the relative value that Facebook and publishers provide one another.

That's from a Facebook guy, so not sure how accurate that would be. Have you seen other figures? And has there been word of what these publishers plan to spend the money on, will it actually go to improving journalism or will it just line Murdoch's pockets?

I wish Australia would take Facebook’s rejection as a sign it should rethink its approach to media regulation entirely. It could just tax companies based on their revenues, for example. It could earmark those revenues to support journalism — nonprofit public media, even, which has consistently been shown to have powerful civic benefits. Or it could pursue a bargaining code that requires big media conglomerates to create and support jobs in journalism, rather than simply accept tens of millions of dollars and spend them however they like — or just return it to shareholders.

In reality, though, none of that seems likely to happen. Google’s capitulation means that Australian crony capitalism is now likely to be exported worldwide. Legacy media outlets will become richer — and also more dependent on the tech giants that they excoriate daily for having too much power over them. All the while, the media industry will continue to consolidate, and it will be harder to get or keep a job in journalism.

A bargaining code that truly sought to level the playing field between the platforms and the public would take these realities into account. There is still time to amend it before Parliament takes a vote, and here’s hoping that lawmakers do — both in Australia and beyond it.

I have to say that I agree that most of the takes around this are of the shittest variety. It's utterly fucking ridiculous to state that this ban of news within Facebook is 'bringing a country to it's knees', Facebook is not a public fucking utility no matter how stupidly reliant so many people and groups are on it.

There is every opportunity and ability for people to use or create a proper alternative, the vacuum left by Facebook in Australia opens up the space for entrepreneurs to create something much better there. 

But what if, in the meantime, Australians simply… visit websites? Subscribe to newsletters? Read… books?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The entire Australian news publishing industry, the whole damn thing, valued at $407M?

The Guardian’s yearly running costs alone are over a third of that, edit: and that’s after years of cutbacks and downsizing /edit. Bethesda, one games publisher, was sold for over 15 times that. Yes, that traffic is worth fuck all, the relationship between the platforms and the publishers is incredibly lopsided and massively favours the tech companies.

And just to repeat myself, I’m not saying that this proposal as it stands is the answer to this situation, I’m saying that the news media industry is in trouble, and I’m not opposed to the companies who are partially responsible for that, and who take in huge amounts of cash on the back of what the media does, to be forced to share some of those profits with the companies who help them make it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    From a Google perspective it’s slightly different in as much as Google do very well from not just linking but syndicating content in the listings more and more. A lot of top results in search, depending on the type of query have a huge amount of monthly searches but almost zero visits to the site owners. So Google gets results for its searchers (plus associated ad revenue from search listings and subsequent cross site display / YouTube ads) but the site publisher doesn’t get a visit or revenue from it in any way. Google need to play the long game as if those publishers disappear then Google will not have content to scrape to syndicate.

The obvious retort is Google sends lots of traffic and yes it does, but it really does depend on the query. For example there was a huge fallout over a lyric website having the full lyrics to songs it had added to its site being lifted and placed on Google’s search results when you searched for a song. So now that site, which really could only survive through ad revenue noticed it was number one for a lot of results but traffic was dropping. I think Google settled by citing the site and only showing part of the lyric but I’m pretty sure their first response when the site in question threatened litigation was to remove their results completely which is obviously a shitty thing to do from a company who’s mantra used to be “do no evil”.
  • It could earmark those revenues to support journalism — nonprofit public media, even, which has consistently been shown to have powerful civic benefits. Or it could pursue a bargaining code that requires big media conglomerates to create and support jobs in journalism, rather than simply accept tens of millions of dollars and spend them however they like — or just return it to shareholders.

Are either of these going to happen? Where is the money they scrape from big tech going to go?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And yes, now just reading Yoss’ post news publishers have been taking a beating for years on this. A lot of news cards can give enough for someone wanting to get a scan of the news in the morning not even bothering with visiting the website that provides the content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It could earmark those revenues to support journalism — nonprofit public media, even, which has consistently been shown to have powerful civic benefits. Or it could pursue a bargaining code that requires big media conglomerates to create and support jobs in journalism, rather than simply accept tens of millions of dollars and spend them however they like — or just return it to shareholders.

Are either of these going to happen? Where is the money they scrape from big tech going to go?

Honestly, I doubt much of it will be going to shareholders. Newsrooms have been shrinking for years now, this is more likely to slow, or possibly even reverse, that decline than anything else.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!