• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Something’s just struck me:
    And much of what you described can be done online, at a low low cost relative to operating in a building or several buildings.

Even this isn’t as easy as you say. Our investigations work is all done offline. If you’re investigating Putin, you don’t keep everything on a computer connected to the internet.
  • @b0r1s -
    That's not the issue around zero-click results. It's not that most won't be clicked, it's that literally zero won't be. That means no one except Google benefits from the work the publishers (not just news, but bloggers, info sites like AV forums, whatever) produce, but the publishers get nothing in return.

I'm assuming you meant to write that zero will be? If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying that there are searches that result in no clicks and no revenue for the publishers in that no click search... Why is this a problem? How often do you search for something and not get the results you are looking for so you have to search again? Why should publishers get some money from people not clicking on their shit? Again, sorry but this is really bizzare.

Not sure what you can find bizarre about a company that creates useful content for people getting paid by ads getting less and less revenue as Google takes more of its value without giving anything back?

Google and others do give something back though don't they? They display sites to people that search for things. That's what they offer for the site publishers. I get that you mean that they aren't sharing some of their ad revenue, but I don't think they should have to based on the very limited amount of page content they actually show.

I'm sure there's all kinds of issues with how they rank pages and do nefarious things with advertising, but I don't think that having them have to pay those publishers just for linking to their sites is the fix.

Having to pay to display hyperlinks sets a dangerous precedent. Much better to do targeted taxation and some careful regulation of the monopolies.

Not anymore. They used to be, but as has been said many times, the are no longer a directory, they are now partially a publisher and a beneficiary (financially) of site owners IP.

Google only displays the headline and a couple of summary lines in their news search, this should be ok within fair use - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

The algorithm isn't that bad and Google is very open in what you have to do to compete. Regulation here isn't needed.

I'm not too familiar with their main search algo but Youtube's is notorious for being totally obfuscated and the platform regularly mistreats creators on the platform. So I'm a bit doubtful of that.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Something’s just struck me:
    And much of what you described can be done online, at a low low cost relative to operating in a building or several buildings.
    Even this isn’t as easy as you say. Our investigations work is all done offline. If you’re investigating Putin, you don’t keep everything on a computer connected to the internet.

Yep offline is obviously still really important. Online state surveillance is an ever growing problem, hence the huge importance of encryption in communications.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Gurt

I’m not gonna quote again but I’ll go in order.

1. The zero click is because what was previously a link is now a proportion of their content on Google hence stopping the the need for the click. The article I linked to showed this as of 2019 had rise. To 53% of searches. So it has nothing to do with irrelevant results. The results are very relevant but Google are presenting more and more of the data. So no need to click. So the site gets no visit. Does that make sense now?

2. This is all about point 1. It’s not about links. Links are fine and there should be not revenue split on that at all as that is the fundamental principle of hyperlinks and the web. It’s about moving beyond links into taking content and the site not getting a link. Here’s and example, you can see all the lyrics without going to the site. This is what has increased to now being 53% of queries. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=in+the+air+tonight+lyrics&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

3. I’m not just talking about news.

4. The YouTube algo is incredibly easy to game. It’s like Google from years ago. You can be doubtful but no SEO (an industry I work in) has ever said the algo is a problem. It’s how Google choose to display the results that reduce site owners getting a visit back.

I’m bowing out now. It’s clear you’ve set your stall out for Google and don’t think there’s a problem despite the fact most of the SEO industry does.
  • I'm not pro fucking google. Also I do think there's a problem, but not in the same way you and most of the big media do.

That link for the lyrics actually shows what you are talking about, the previous article didn't. In the case of those lyrics google is showing the results from Mixmatch apparently, if they aren't paying Mixmatch then they should, but perhaps they are? As for the rest of the results those are all just a page title and summary and should fall under fair use. My point stands.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    So it has nothing to do with irrelevant results. The results are very relevant but Google are presenting more and more of the data. So no need to click. So the site gets no visit.

So yeah this only applies to certain searches that result in those things at the top from one particular source, they aren't showing more and more of the data for all sites generally, I'm guessing it's just the most relevant top result.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I'm not pro fucking google. Also I do think there's a problem, but not in the same way you and most of the big media do.

That link for the lyrics actually shows what you are talking about, the previous article didn't. In the case of those lyrics google is showing the results from Mixmatch apparently, if they aren't paying Mixmatch then they should, but perhaps they are? As for the rest of the results those are all just a page title and summary and should fall under fair use. My point stands.

And I agree which is what I said in my point 2 above. Google pull that from the page title tag and description tag (in general, but not always). So yes fair use.

And historically that first result had around a 35% of the clicks of a page. Making that a zero result can massively affect site traffic.
  • Aye so what you are referring to is a specific thing called "Featured Snippets" - https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-featured-snippets-stealing-clicks/353598/#close

Which seems to mainly affect certain types of queries, and not news AFAICT. And it only really affects the top link. For things like displaying the entire song lyrics that is an example where Google have gone beyond fair use and should either not show the whole thing or give the source some payment.
  • Actually they do have the "People also ask" dropdown things for some queries, which show brief answers to common questions, pulled from various sites. That seems mostly alright under fair use I guess.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I haven’t read that article before but interesting to see he disdains Rand Fishkins data by saying a large proportion is mobile traffic. Err. Most traffic is mobile traffic. It feels like an article rolled out by a Google shill if I’m honest.

But yes people can roll up their sleeves and work within the framework of Google. But at what point does it become untenable?

We’ve discussed it here and in your thread around social media. At what point does regulation step in or do these companies continue to have free reign?

My immediate view would be to force Google’s search arm to be split from its advertising business. The organic search algorithm should then have regulation so that the ads side of the business cannot dictate or demand that ads can appear above more relevant results. But none of this will happen. The money is too big so Facebook and Google will go on and do what they want.
  • I'm totally up for good antitrust regulation. It seems like it can work, particularly if the likes of the European Union throw their weight around.
  • Again I'm still not sure about how this impacts the wider "free internet" thing.

If I, as a small platform / blog / research agency / web resource etc, put in links to published articles, I'm not going to get charged for this am I?

But if I, as a huge platform which hoovers up 50% (google) and 25% (FB) of total internet ad revenue, at least some portion of which comes because (esp. in case of FB) I have a news service, and the ability to link articles with full text or at least summary points of text within a news feed, and do everything I can to keep you on my platform and not send you away to publishers' / content owners' websites, should I not be expected to share some of that revenue you've helped me gain with your content?

It's not about supporting Murdoch, it's not about defending FB, it's about understanding whether the argument above makes sense. Who can say it doesn't, and why?

Irrelevant diatribes about the state of modern media, and alternative sources of revenue, and "adapt or die" broisms, will be ignored for being dumb
  • Anyway on to the next one. Supreme Court judgement against Uber is potentially huge. Basically, Uber drivers are to be considered proper employees of Uber from the moment they log in to the app to the moment they log off (clearly some Ts&Cs for this have to be sorted, so you don't just get people logging on and off from bed). Full employment rights: minimum wage, holiday and sick pay, pension, the works. Potentially / probably backdated so that's a big ol' bill coming.

Incredible victory for worker's rights, or a travesty of misunderstanding the gig economy?

I think you'll know where I stand. This could be transformative for the so-called gig economy.
  • Deliveroo, you're next
  • Fuck the gig economy.
  • Basically that's what our Supreme Court said
  • Yep, I like this ruling. It’s long overdue.

When your business model relies on legal loopholes (or outright lawbreaking) your business maybe shouldn’t exist, y’know?
  • 5 years it took from initial case, and Uber losing that. The case is interesting - it's ruling on the merits of the ability of an employment tribunal being able to make the decision about employment rights when working for company like Uber, and has found that it cannot, and has further made the decision that Uber workers are full employees.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Again I'm still not sure about how this impacts the wider "free internet" thing. If I, as a small platform / blog / research agency / web resource etc, put in links to published articles, I'm not going to get charged for this am I? But if I, as a huge platform which hoovers up 50% (google) and 25% (FB) of total internet ad revenue, at least some portion of which comes because (esp. in case of FB) I have a news service, and the ability to link articles with full text or at least summary points of text within a news feed, and do everything I can to keep you on my platform and not send you away to publishers' / content owners' websites, should I not be expected to share some of that revenue you've helped me gain with your content? It's not about supporting Murdoch, it's not about defending FB, it's about understanding whether the argument above makes sense. Who can say it doesn't, and why? Irrelevant diatribes about the state of modern media, and alternative sources of revenue, and "adapt or die" broisms, will be ignored for being dumb

I've already explained that with regards to news searches that google just displays the headline and a couple of lines of text from the article, and that this is basically fair use. Google and any search/aggregation site lists things so people can find them, sometimes it's more of a parasitical relationship such as with the lyrics example. In the case of news though I really cannot see how news companies are entitled to a cut. If governments want to tax the shit out of google etc and put some of that into useful public services or whatever then that would be great.

It's fucking weird (or not I guess) how so many folk seem to think that the news corps have a moral leg to stand on here, if there's problems with the algorithm fucking over certain publications or something then I would be more sympathetic. So no I don't think your argument makes sense in this context. This is all just big news media wanting a bigger piece of the pie.

The state of modern media is not irrelevent, they're clearly trying to find ways to keep financially healthy/profitable with paywalls and this sort of thing. And as for adapting just look at how the music and film distribution industry has found ways to innovate around the technology of the internet. Old industry and media should try to innovate, there's plenty of opportunity to do so.
  • The impact on the wider internet isn't known yet, it's a legal precedent thing - https://www.thebigsmoke.com.au/2021/02/18/tim-berners-lee-australias-war-with-google-could-break-the-internet/

Time will tell I guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The state of modern media is not irrelevent, they're clearly trying to find ways to keep financially healthy/profitable with paywalls and this sort of thing. And as for adapting just look at how the music and film distribution industry has found ways to innovate around the technology of the internet. Old industry and media should try to innovate, there's plenty of opportunity to do so.

They’ve been trying to innovate for more than two decades now and mostly failing.

Just innovate as a solution is asinine.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, the more I think about the idea of tax to spend more money on news services, the worse an idea it sounds.

The idea of giving the government of the day the power to decide which news services to fund and by how much is absolutely ripe for abuse.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fuck the gig economy.

• Blimey.

In good faith I asked for a response to my argument, and what I get is the same drivel. This isn't about morality. It's about business and law. FB and Google make a lot of money out of hosting news, both links (which obviously direct people to the publishers and is beneficial to the publishers) and articles and summaries (which do not direct people to the publishers). Google and FB make some significant amount of money from hosting the content, which is not theirs. They should therefore share (via, I don't know, some kind of contract with the content owners maybe) some of that revenue with the content owners.

Is that clearer for you? To take my argument, cloak it in weird and irrelevant contexts (such as morality, in this case) and say "see it doesn't make sense" is at best disingenuous. Engage with the argument or continue to espouse weird political views, I guess, that's your choice.

Gov taxing google and FB : irrelevant
    Newscorps being unethical : irrelevant
    state of modern media : irrelevant
    "adapt or die" : irrelevant and bollocks: massive companies abusing their power isn't a reason for everyone else to "adapt" to shittier conditions, such as the music industry (who owns Spotify...)

you must be able to see this? Google and FB make money from other corps' content and those corps should be compensated under a fair negotiated deal. true or false? and if false, how?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Also, the more I think about the idea of tax to spend more money on news services, the worse an idea it sounds. The idea of giving the government of the day the power to decide which news services to fund and by how much is absolutely ripe for abuse.

I mean, we kind of have it with the BBC right now. I don’t think I’m exaggerating to say that the political news team are a mouthpiece for the government with clear lack of journalistic integrity and rigour when it comes to challenging government rhetoric.

So yes, this is a really bad idea.
  • My only concern with such a law is that

a) it compensates content owners large and small (clearly large media companies will be able to derive better deals: so I'd like to see the law protect smaller content producers and ensure they get a fair deal too, and that's unlikely, so a valid criticism of the detail / implementation of the law but not the basic principle behind it

b) that it doesn't empower media companies to punish much smaller platforms, who only share links (which as far as I can tell it doesn't, and this would be barely enforceable anyway). So this does away with the ludicrous argument about "killing search" or "killing the free internet", which Berners-Lee is always on about
  • You seem to be under the premise that Google are 'hosting' the content. Do they? Tell me if you actually think that a headline and a couple of lines is hosting the content of the articles.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AMP pages are literally hosted by Google.
  • 2 very interesting topics in this thread.

Starting with Aussie land and the FB black out. I think, regardless of the merits of the Aussie law proposed, that this type of blackout should send Alarm bells ringing to any governement. That a private company can, at a whim, take away so much access to services is wrong. 

An idea I bounced around in my head (and I've know idea if it would work or be even possible to do, or should be done) is that the internet has no become so important and a persons ability to interact with it so vital that we probably are looking at governments creating services that up to now have been done by commercial properties so that a country always has a base line of access. This would mean that you would be right have a email identity that is unique to you, a version of a social media profile that is unique to you etc. - just like a social number and passport. The idea would not be to track people on the net - you have the choice if you want to use it at all - but that there will always be a base level of service possible. 

In the case of a search engine this would mean a public owned search engine that will always list your countries websites. It is not monetised but funded from tax. In the case of a facebook type media, it would be a regulated (with clear rules/ laws even) forum in the style of facebook where only local business can advertise and the various departments of government can dispense links / info. It wouldnt be perfect but it would mean that an outside company cannot just switch off things it doesnt like. 

As for the gig economy.... I can only see this as a good thing but a few things I know from working closely with delivery drivers on deliveroo and just eat (as well as with Just Eat themselves, we are set up on deliveroo but they are awful to deal with in terms of interaction)

All the above is from an Irish point of view:

First, Just Eat are working on a plan to employ all their drivers and have been for a while. Their CEO is on record as saying he wants to get away from the gig economy. Just Eat also pay pretty decent from what the drivers tell me. Their system is open to gaming though and this means some drivers causing problems for all. At the moment they are so busy they arent cracking down on this. In addition, because they are still gig work, the onus is on the driver to declare earnings for tax purposes. Guess how many do? 

Second, Having worked with Doorhub briefly, the rates we were paying clearly undervalued the work needed to be done. Sure, I might have liked that cheap delivery price but it meant they couldnt attract drivers and couldnt support us in either our city centre location or our suburban location. They arent opperating at the moment but the lesson we learned is that a delivery driver should never be seen as low cost - they aren't. But I think many business still view them as such

Third, several workers do enjoy the freedom of the gig economy. I have not dealt with Uber (like deliveroo, they are very hard to get into person to person contact with) so no idea what the setup is, and I'm only dealing with food delivery but quite a few drivers enjoy being able to get out on a night of their choosing and work as much (or as little) as they like and earn pretty decent wages. End of one Friday night, one guy had clocked up well over 300 euro between tips from customers and his commission but he did work like a trooper. The problem is he has no security if he gets sick or his car breaks down (which happened to another guy we knew and we havent seen him in a while) 

Final point (and I know I've rambled) but I think Covid has shown how much we undervalue Lots of people. Customers need to be re-educated that a 3 euro surcharge on a 10 pound food delivery simply isnt going to cut it. Just Eat and Deliveroo get a bit piled on by the restaurant industry because of their commission but having used both our own drivers and Just Eat, its probably a fair price. If not, as I say undervalued.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    AMP pages are literally hosted by Google.

Not sure who AMP are, and what do you mean exactly? Like Google are showing the whole article? I've not seen this for any news article that I recall.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!