Current Affairs
  • There was some footage on the bbc earlier of people stuck in the pods of the London Eye. 
    One woman was doing the pee pee dance.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • My mate posted a message on Facebook today saying it was his last day in London today. Went out with style I see.
  • There's not much you can do against a wanker in a car i guess.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Christ, figures are now at 5 dead (including the attacker) and 40 injured.
  • I suppose this kinda thing is only going to get worse. It's not religion, just mentals and the internet. Next it'll be UFO nuts or general conspiracy shit. Anyone can buy a knife or drive a car, or make a bomb for that matter. Everyone keeps saying there's not enough time in the modern world but there's actually too much. We're not hunting and gathering anymore now are we?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It goes beyond even that, I'd say. Most people think that their jobs are essentially useless, and they would be right. Most of us are surplus to requirements and our voices go unheard, but we are just expected to suck it up and carry on as if this actually matters. It's no wonder some people flip, especially when given something to believe in.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    They could always believe in love.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Just have a funny way of showing it.
  • Which is why saying they're evil doesn't help matters. Hey ho.
  • Without wanting to sound harsh, five dead is nothing really. And this wasn't some monstrous terrorist atrocity planned by a well funded and deadly enemy, just a twat with a car and a knife.

The hysterical media reaction and the endless mawkishness is getting tiresome. Maybe it's just me but I sense the media (rolling news mostly) almost enjoy it when a good old terror attack kicks off and they can rush into action...

Terrible for the families of course, but come on - 'attack on democracy'?

Terrorism's been all downhill since 9/11.
  • The last few pages have been the most British reaction to a terrorist attack I have ever seen.
  • In this age the press and terrorists are happy sensationalist bedfellows and frankly need each other. Just awful really.
  • The last few pages have been the most British reaction to a terrorist attack I have ever seen.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah he already mentioned that.
  • Facewon wrote:
    The last few pages have been the most British reaction to a terrorist attack I have ever seen.

Although I'll post it again in case anyone has dementia.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    Without wanting to sound harsh, five dead is nothing really. And this wasn't some monstrous terrorist atrocity planned by a well funded and deadly enemy, just a twat with a car and a knife.

The hysterical media reaction and the endless mawkishness is getting tiresome. Maybe it's just me but I sense the media (rolling news mostly) almost enjoy it when a good old terror attack kicks off and they can rush into action...

Terrible for the families of course, but come on - 'attack on democracy'?

Terrorism's been all downhill since 9/11.

It was Parliament Square though.

Right in the very heart of the country.

Even a streaker would make national news in that context. Let alone a mass murder that may or not be religiously motivated.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    Without wanting to sound harsh, five dead is nothing really. And this wasn't some monstrous terrorist atrocity planned by a well funded and deadly enemy, just a twat with a car and a knife. The hysterical media reaction and the endless mawkishness is getting tiresome. Maybe it's just me but I sense the media (rolling news mostly) almost enjoy it when a good old terror attack kicks off and they can rush into action... Terrible for the families of course, but come on - 'attack on democracy'? Terrorism's been all downhill since 9/11.

I must admit that I found this narrative quite disturbing. It has the odor of nationalism about it. The Australian PM was expressing public condemnation of the attack today, and like Thatcher May referred to it as an attack on ideals such as freedom, democracy and free speech (which I think @Skerret will agree is a shady way to hitch a domestic free speech/bigotry debate onto an uncontestable tragedy in another country).

Values aren't under attack in events like today. People are. Same as when a drone bombs a school in Syria or Iraq. Same as when a Mexican drug cartel takes out some civiliians who fight against corruption. Same as when a central US state allows an oil pipeline to contaminate indigenous nations' waterways. Western values are not under attack, nor are they exclusive or even adhered to in the West.

Also, in jumping to conclusions, I find it incredibly bigoted to say that a murder or mass attack is the work of "some nutter" or someone with "mental health issues". It demonises people with mental illness in the same way attributing an attack to a religious motivation. That language casually creates an association between the condition/belief/health to the violent act itself.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Regardless of whether he's found to have a diagnosed MH issue, it's undeniable that he was (using a general British description for someone acting outside of accepted societal norms) a 'nutter'.

I agree absolutely that we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that he was mentally ill - but nor should we jump to the conclusion that it was some kind of master-planned Islamist Terror Attack. Unfortunately that'll undoubtedly be the direction the media head in, especially when Isis claim responsibility as they no doubt will at some point in the next few days.

The news coverage yesterday and particularly this morning was depressing in the sense of repressed glee that they seemed to have - comparisons with Paris were nauseating, the two events couldn't be more different.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Also, in jumping to conclusions, I find it incredibly bigoted to say that a murder or mass attack is the work of "some nutter" or someone with "mental health issues". It demonises people with mental illness in the same way attributing an attack to a religious motivation. That language casually creates an association between the condition/belief/health to the violent act itself.

I see your point, but then I cannot see an act like this being committed by someone without mental health problems. How does a mentally healthy person deliberately drive a car into innocent people just going about their business?
  • Yup, as much as I'm sensitive to some attitudes to mental health, I've got no issue with it being identified as a contributory factor.
  • Is this shopped, or faked, or weird-ass cosplay or something?

C2ElvLB.gif
  • Its real I mentioned it yesterday.
  • MAN DOWN! MAN DOWN!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ahaha, that's brilliant.
  • What's the matter? Haven't you ever taken a shortcut before?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Full on Hot Fuzz, if you squint it even looks like Pegg and Frost.
  • Hot Fuzz on the case.

Edit: Dammit Liv.
  • Matty J surely.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!