Current Affairs
  • Seems the Mail on Sunday have done a hit piece on a German Youtuber who had reviewed a commercially available stab vest.  He was pointing out it was a piece of shit and shouldn't be relied on.  They claim it's a how to video and link it to the murdered PC in London.

Gotta feel for the guy.  Don't know much about him but being on the end of the Mail's retarded 'patriotism' can't be a good place to be.

• Mail are cunts, but we all knew this.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    Seems the Mail on Sunday have done a hit piece on a German Youtuber who had reviewed a commercially available stab vest.  He was pointing out it was a piece of shit and shouldn't be relied on.  They claim it's a how to video and link it to the murdered PC in London.

Gotta feel for the guy.  Don't know much about him but being on the end of the Mail's retarded 'patriotism' can't be a good place to be.

Same guy who reported about it for the Mail previously published an article about how to smuggle a knife onto a plane. Irony overload.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bombing on the st Petersburg Subway.
  • Are you in a trench on the outskirts of Malaga yet goobs?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, we've decided today that all we need is a squadron of Challenger 2 tanks and some Apaches and we'll be sorted, so they've not sent me.
  • We're sending our entire air force and armoured brigade?
  • https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/02/technology/uber-drivers-psychological-tricks.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Haven't had time to go through all of this yet, but this seems to be a very interesting article on Uber
  • Gig economy can fucking do one and all.
  • Tempy wrote:
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/02/technology/uber-drivers-psychological-tricks.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0 Haven't had time to go through all of this yet, but this seems to be a very interesting article on Uber

The most alarming bit of information in there was that Pogo.com is still a thing.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Were Ken Livingstone's comments antisemitic, really?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Not really but they were dumb.

He claimed Hitler supported moving Jews to Israel, which is true. However it was never part of a Zionist agenda, Hitler just wanted rid of them and shipping them to Israel was the easiest and most agreeable solution at the time.

I don't believe he meant any ill harm by the comments but in the middle of a debate on Labour being antisemitic it was an incredibly stupid thing to say and could rightfully be taken very badly by Jewish people.

I do however think there has been a lot of opportunists in the Labour party waiting for him to fuck up that have ran with this despite not really giving a fuck what he said.
  • Some of them literally ran up to him to scream in his face.
  • It's just another tool to beat on corbo for being too commited to Palestine. That said, Ken fucked up royally. That's what happens when you become embattled. The idea that Hitler was all for Zionism before he "went mad" and killed Jews is offensive and i don't think there is a single Jew who wasn't offended by it, when most Jews are in fact uncomfortable with Zionism and Israel's actions (whether most speak out is another thing, i know loads who feel they would be betraying Israel if they did, it's a loaded and emotional issue).

Is anyone able to find the full decision? I have seen no reference to it whatever today, other than its been published.

• I can see what he said as stupid, incorrect and insensitive/offensive. I don't see how we get from that to anti-antisemitism though, and I've not seen that link demonstrated by anyone using the term. You could quite easily discuss what he said and what's wrong with it without going there, but people would rather shut it down.
  • He wasn't found guilty of antisemitism, only of bringing the party into disrepute.

I find it shocking that no one has linked or quoted from the full decision. I normally have no trouble finding stuff but here it's as if there is no decision.
  • The only think I can find is a quote from ken saying it was for defending Naz Shah, and doing the vanessa Feltz interview.
  • Skimmed the French presidential debate. Melanchon and hamon quite good. The former effective in particular. He would get my vote.

Macron is vacant AF, and was trounced by let pen. "You are an utter void, sir, speaking for 7 minutes straight and saying nothing." Have to say, i agree. Seems the west has decided he's for the run off against her, i fear for France if that's the case. He is so obviously a shill from start to finish, grande ecole, civil service, bank compliance and then this.
  • Is there a good English summary?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    And what are Marine Le Pen's chances?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Current opinion polls put her through to the second round, but then losing by 20 points to Macron, so clearly we shouldn't worry about this at all. Not even for a second. It'll be fine. FINE.
  • And what are Marine Le Pen's chances?

Poor. I think on this occasion it will turn out alright. The French think, quite rightly, we'll be fucked after Brexit and they're not prepared to go down the same route.
  • The gf, who spent a long time in France, thinks LePen had no chance once Trump got in. The last thing the French want is to be seen copying the Yanks and the Brits.
  • Except their strange obsession with M&S.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It's been troubling me recently that modern men aren't humbled nearly as much in everyday life any more. We mostly live in heated homes and get antsy if we're away from a shower for a day, our notions of toughness informed by bunches of old Eastwood films and the like, and yet it seems common to assume an innate toughness within ourselves that's never had cause to manifest.

Just a couple of hundred years ago in the American wilderness men had to Prairie it, building homes and providing food for their families. There were bears, wolves, snakes, and possibly a few bad 'uns about, but those people did okay. I'm not romanticising it at all, but if a bear kicked down the front door of your shitty shack and chewed off some of your leg, well hey, nice door, dickhead!

Okay, so not everyone knew how to build cabins and traded stuff with carpenters for theirs, but that kind of responsibility's been widely absent from our lives since the War. I consider myself pretty tough, but a typical girl from that wilderness was far more inured to hardships than I'll ever be. Everything's now amalgamated to fashion an amorphous blame machine to point at when we screw up as individuals, and I worry that we — us somewhat stupid men — need a good Laurel-and-Hardy up the arse every now and again to keep us humble and therefore sensible.

When sabres rattle, when was the last time that the involved parties' leaders had to consciously confront personal failures? No-one ever enters an invasion or war expecting to lose, such is the arrogance of the format. We should be listening about man's limitations on those Clints, not rewatching too many mule-based reprisals.

The older I get, the more I realise how badly I'd be screwed if not for the plethora of people doing the stuff that I might be incapable of.
  • In the past few years I have felt a need to practice more useful, real world skills.
    I can make whatever you want on a computer, want a cheeseburger, made of ants, screaming Take That hits? I can make it.

Real world, I am OK but I want to learn more.
    My Dad is bloody brilliant, he can take apart and reassemble most basic cars, any Boeing plane, kitchens, bathrooms, white goods, the lot. However he is a terrible tutor, me and him are the same, no patience to teach. I watch though and have picked up a lot.
    My brother is an insanely good metal worker as well, you need a widget he can fettle it.

I plan to spend a lot of my 30s learning again. My Dad wants to spend his retirement upcycling furniture and I want in on that. Also going to learn German again this year.

I'm not giving up my nice shower though, fuck that, it has a massage jet!
  • So US has launched airstrikes in Syria.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Those poor people, what a fucking shitty hand they have been dealt. What a fucking horrible mess.
  • And there's no accountability either. Superpowers with veto powers on the UNSC, autocrats and entangled regional relationships can basically ensure that no serious action can be taken to protect innocent civilians.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The response seems appropriate to me. A precise targeted strike against the military airfield from which the chemical weapons attack was launched from. Done at night time there is unlikely to be any civilians in the area, and it sends a strong message that chemical attacks against civilians will not be tolerated.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!