Current Affairs
  • The government's 5mil blood money has already been matched by donations.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    While we will try do our utmost to ensure those affected remain in or near the borough, given the number of households involved, it is possible the council will have to explore housing options that may become available in other parts of the capital.
    Er, no. You requisition some of the thousands of uninhabited properties in the borough, own by the type of people who would have pushed for this cladding to be put up. If those places happened to have gyms and pools and marble floors then all the better.

Or put them up indefinitely in nearest hotels. Just fucking do something. Its a disgrace.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    I have a funny feeling that the inquiry will find that a sprinkler system would not have prevented fire spreading up the outside of the building, so no fault there...

No, but it would have prevented the fire spreading in people's homes, which, you know, is kind of significant.

• g.man wrote:
    I have a nasty feeling it's all going to kick off on the streets when the sun goes down tonight. Hopefully I'm wrong.

This will kick off tonight, the only question is the scale.

I agree. I'm watching the RT live feed. There are it seems four or five different demos in different places. If they coalesce this could be big.

My feeling is, the reaction to this fire - by the government, the council, and a really quite tame media - is for many people the straw that broke the camel's back. This is how revolutions start, people snapping.

• Indeed, May could've prevented all this rioting if she actually reached out to the victims and showed some humanity; engaging with the victims and people involved. Instead she cowered behind the police as if admitting guilt to the incident; a result of failing tory policy and terrified people would point the finger at her.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Dave Cameron right now, slippers on, feet on table, pipe in hand, cackling away.
  • Andy wrote:
    I have a funny feeling that the inquiry will find that a sprinkler system would not have prevented fire spreading up the outside of the building, so no fault there...
    No, but it would have prevented the fire spreading in people's homes, which, you know, is kind of significant.
    Yes, I know. Do you think I seriously don't know sprinklers would've helped?
  • I dunno, are you a Tory Councillor, or on the board of a building management company?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    Yes, I know. Do you think I seriously don't know sprinklers would've helped?

Tone lost in text/my mood. Apologies.
  • Theresa May is simply not fit to be Prime Minister.
    A Prime Minister has to be fit to lead a country through good times and bad, and time after time after time in the last month, whenever there has been a national crisis, and God help us there have been many, she has utterly failed to deal with the fallout in any credible way.
    This is the imbecile who's going to negotiate Brexit for us for fuck sake. Beggars belief.
    Now there might not be rush of challengers for her poisoned throne for obvious reasons, but she has to step down, because she's just absolutely fucking hopeless.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I know the Tory majority got cut in the GE but I'm still fucking amazed that people see all this, and still fucking vote for her, and the Tories in general.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Swift justice!  There's already been a prison sentence related to the fire.
    Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Considering it seems said person unzipped a body bag to get that pic, I'm all for it.
  • g.man wrote:
    Theresa May is simply not fit to be Prime Minister.
    A Prime Minister has to be fit to lead a country through good times and bad, and time after time after time in the last month, whenever there has been a national crisis, and God help us there have been many, she has utterly failed to deal with the fallout in any credible way.
    This is the imbecile who's going to negotiate Brexit for us for fuck sake. Beggars belief.
    Now there might not be rush of challengers for her poisoned throne for obvious reasons, but she has to step down, because she's just absolutely fucking hopeless.

It's a difficult one because I don't think anyone is capable of being prime minsister. Somehow you need to be person who can bullshit and sidestep at a world class level but also be a steely determined integrity intellectual.

You need to be a tubthumping rouser and a logical person who makes smart decisions.

Theresa May has had to deal with more national level crisis in this year than any other pm in the last few. This is in amongst the brexit palaver. I'm not sure any real person has the instinct to deal with this under a glaring spotlight, and definitely not someone who falls in the technocratic (perhaps) mould of a leader rather than a rallying type of leader and these crises require the latter rather than the former.

David Cameron bolted at the first hint of a challenge when the mess he created got real and instigated the worst of the austerity in this country, presided over the omnishambles budget (next to osb) yet I think people are thawing on what a rank prime minister he was.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    I have a nasty feeling it's all going to kick off on the streets when the sun goes down tonight. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    This will kick off tonight, the only question is the scale.
    I agree. I'm watching the RT live feed. There are it seems four or five different demos in different places. If they coalesce this could be big. My feeling is, the reaction to this fire - by the government, the council, and a really quite tame media - is for many people the straw that broke the camel's back. This is how revolutions start, people snapping.

The problem is the media will be all over it if rioting does occur. Then any sympathy for the victims will be negated by rioting. The UK simply does not have sympathy for acts of destruction even if those acts are fuelled by valid justification.
  • Agreed, definitely not the smart play
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • there might be people who abuse the situation (probably holding corbyn banners, just to mud things up more)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    May fucked the election by avoiding the public. So she knows better than anyone she shouldn't avoid the public. Big disaster happens. What does Theresa May do? Avoids the public. No excuse. She's fucked it. She needs to go.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Get Blair in, the D:Ream track was a belter
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Lionel Blair, that is
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Is it a book, play or film?
  • It's always been a piece of crap??
  • Cover up about real death toll.
    Wtf, are they smoking crack there?

Anybody with half a brain knows the death toll will be huge ie >>30
    Estimates of 100-150 are not out of bounds.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It will clearly be more than 30.
    In an interview with the Syrian victim's brother he said he was on the phone with him, one of the last things he said was that he couldn't get down the stairs because it was full of bodies.

Another guy who managed to get out said he was tripping over bodies as he ran down corridors, at one point falling and landing face to face with a dead person.

An ex-Army fella compared it to Bosnia!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!