Current Affairs
  • Fucking hell, the council take every opportunity to show that they are terrible fucking human beings. I mean, this entire article, but specifically this bit at the end in relation to th rent issue:
    Responding to these claims, Faulks said: “Oh come on. I’m not saying it’s a tiny thing, for them it’s a huge thing and its very upsetting. “But the council are in the process of trying to house 400 people. They’ve got people in hotels. They’ve put a social worker for every single family who is triaging them into a wraparound service. “I’m sorry to hear that happened, but that person will have a one person connection to go to to explain that’s happened to sort out.”
    The Beeb only reported that last line. Sounds terrible with the rest of his words next to it. 

Is this a systematic oversight with many being charged or is this one or two residents, which is within the scope of human error?
  • https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/06/naomi-klein-how-power-profits-from-disaster

Interesting article on crisis management during times of civil shock.
    She uses Hurricane Katrina as a case study but you could easily interchange it with the Grenfell incident or the aftermath of any war.
    Good points are made and definitely worth a read.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • The greatest letter ever published in the Financial Times.

Edit:  Suddenly seems to have a paywall over it.  So here it is:

Sir, I see from your Big Read article “Braced for the fall” (July 5) that the pro-Brexit wing of the Conservative party are to be known as “fuckers”, while they describe their opponents as “wankers”.Surely this rhetoric inverts the truth? It is the Europhobes who shut themselves away in self-gratifying fantasies, while the Remainers know that real life is possible only through interaction with others.

• Woman at work said today that she only voted Brexit because of what Germany were like in the 2nd World War, something she said she had no direct experience of 'but people before me in my family did'. I mean, JFC.
  • Them fuckin' krauts
  • I fired her of course.
  • I like a good bit of pasta and that but would never go to Italy, you never know when they might make you fight a lion in a Colosseum.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's precisely why a referendum is a car crash.

General Elections for better or worse, siphon idiots like this out of the decision making process.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • No it just distills power into a smaller subset of morons.
  • So G20.
    Trump and Putin must be patting each other on the back with Trump visibly beaming: mission accomplished! Thanks for the help Vlad, luv ya bro. No doubt they had a lot of catching up to do.

Meanwhile the UK gets sidelined because of Brexit and an uncertain future.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • It's alright, there's a plan for Trump.

• Holiday and second homes are a real big problem in Cornwall, but this is a bit... extreme...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4677520/Cornish-terror-group-says-SUICIDE-attacker.html

(It is the Daily Mail though, so more than a pinch of salt is no doubt required)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • If "Cornish terrorism" isn't in the Profanisaurus already it oughta be.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Rick's Hot-Fishy Wreckers.

Most of the grockles are coming from the Wycliffes of Dover, though.
  • Escape wrote:
    Rick's Hot-Fishy Wreckers.

Most of the grockles are coming from the Wycliffes of Dover, though.

("Grockles" is a Devon term. We call them emmets - sorry)

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's because you're a grockle.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

• Yeah, utterly tragic.  I suspect the kid who did it probably hadn't really understood he was going to kill him.

One of my daughter's friends is someone who's "allergic to everything" as she puts it.  To the degree that the school canteen has had to stop selling a whole bunch of things because of the level of risk.  The boy in question's had anaphylactic shock 3 times in school alone.  (The kids are now incredible with him, and have administered his Epipen for him on the last 2 occasions.)

It's been a bit of an eye opener for them, as a lot of children just seem to think "allergy" means "doesn't really like".  (My daughter is, herself, very badly allergic to nuts, and carries an Epipen with her wherever she goes.  Though luckily, probably in part because of the school's approach to this other child, she hasn't needed it.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    My daughter is, herself, very badly allergic to nuts.

This interests me. Unless I'm mistaken, the current medical advice is that it's good to feed babies nut-based products (if not whole nuts because of the choking hazard) in order to help them avoid allergies when they are older.

When your daughter was a baby, were you following the earlier advice to avoid feeding her nuts or did you feed her peanut butter but she still developed an allergy?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    My daughter is, herself, very badly allergic to nuts.
    This interests me. Unless I'm mistaken, the current medical advice is that it's good to feed babies nut-based products (if not whole nuts because of the choking hazard) in order to help them avoid allergies when they are older. When your daughter was a baby, were you following the earlier advice to avoid feeding her nuts or did you feed her peanut butter but she still developed an allergy?

To be honest, we didn't really worry about it enormously one way or the other.  The advice at the time was that they thought nuts under 1 might cause allergies, but they weren't really certain.  We took the view that no-one really knew and so just fed her whatever was to hand.  Which, on reflection, probably means she didn't get any nuts as we certainly didn't actively grind them up for her dinner, and neither of us is desperately keen on peanut butter.  I suspect that, had the advice been as it is now, we might have actively promoted her having some - but of course there's no way of knowing whether it would have made a difference.

Her first allergic reaction was when she was when she was 2.  She had managed to nab a praline chocolate from the coffee table at my Dad's house, and promptly started swelling up like the Michelin Man.  Its subsequently turned out that she's allergic to pretty much anything with the word "nut" in the name.  So all nuts do it, as do peanuts and coconut too.  (We had formal allergy testing, rather than experimenting with them all!)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You should try explaining to her allergy that coconut isn't actually a nut.
  • A former housemate of mine is allergic to lemons, which is fun, as they're in lots of cleaning products.

She once leaned on the counter which had been cleaned the day before , and within minutes was bright red and swelling up.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    You should try explaining to her allergy that coconut isn't actually a nut.

As you can imagine, she loves it when people point this out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I meant tell the allergy so it can stop reacting to coconut. A quick Wikipedia article and your daughter will be able to enjoy Bounty bars.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Nobody enjoys a bounty.
  • Bounty is upper tier chocolate bar.
  • Bounty has a huge rep for coconut but doesn't deliver at all.
  • Double decker is top tier chock.
  • Double decker's in the same tier bracket, for sure. Picnic, twirl and daim too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!