Poor TV Signal
  • No, sorry - well, at least not if you want to take advantage of the built-in backwards EPG that Freetime gets you.

The main thing is do you have a dish? If you do, and it was previously aligned to Sky, then it'll work and you're done, all you need is a box. If you don't, then you'll need a dish for Freesat. That's the key thing.

If that cable-to-freeview thing works (never heard of it but hell do I know) then that would be the best way, I'd say?

Honestly best thing would be to get an aerial chappie to come and have a look, it shouldn't cost that much and then good telly for lyf
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I have no idea where our aerial is and I don't fancy trying to get onto the roof.  I've been told that as the flat's wired for cable, if I get an F-type to coax cable I can just plug the Virgin feed into the YouView box and magically get free view. I've also acquired a probably-working old Sky HD box.  Funk, can I stick a card in that and get Freesat?

My mother has Freeview via Virgin - so yeah - that's an option.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We have a dish, and both 2 x Sky cables and a Virgin box in the living room.  But I plug a Sky+HD box into those cables and get nothing.  I presumed I'd need some sort of card or something?
  • davyK wrote:
    My mother has Freeview via Virgin - so yeah - that's an option.

Epic, that's probably the easiest way then.  Off to buy some coax and connectors...
  • Card yes for Sky, no for Freesat - but Sky box doesn't receive Freesat. Need new Freesat box.

edit: the coax converter option is the best cheapest one.
  • ... does this option give me the same as Freesat, though?  I have an old Sky+HD box, so £25 for a card to get effectively Freesat seems like a good move if I get squat when I plug this new cable in.

Only thing I worry about is the previous owners said that it was plumbed in for Sky & Virgin, but when I connect a Sky box without a card, shouldn't it still detect a signal?  Don't want to pay for a card only to find there's some reason the box or cable there doesn't work.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    With your TV trouble, funkstain help you he will, yes. Hmmm?
  • Actually, just been told that if I plug a Sky box in with no card at all, I should still get "free to air" channels.  Without a Freesat card or anything.  What are those?  Is that different from Freeview?
  • It will, but you will only get basic HD telly.

If you want all the stuff that Youview / Freetime give you you need the relevant boxes. If all you want is normal, broadcast telly, then that would be fine, but I thought you wanted the catch-up apps and so on?

edit: the above was about the card plugged in to the Sky box to get Freesat. It's pretty limited.
  • Have iPlayer/Netflix et al on our smart TV so not desperately bothered about the catch up functionality, we never use it through YouView.  Regarding the Sky box, what should I get if I just plug one in with no card at all?
  • The second question: those channels are the free to air (FTA) channels available via Sky. So, BBC1-4, ITV1-4, etc.

It's best to think about channels and platforms as separate.

There is Sky platform, which includes a number of FTA channels

Freeview platform, otherwise known as Digital Terrestrial TV, which only includes a number of FTA channels

And Freesat platform, aka Digital Satellite TV, which only includes a number of FTA channels (more in HD, and more in total, than Freeview / DTT).

YouView is an app platform on top of Freeview / DTT, which adds the capability of on-demand and premium VOD, such as NOW TV.

Freetime is a app on top of Freesat / DSAT which adds the capability of on-demand and (soon) premium VOD.

With a Sky box, you can get the FTA channels available on the Sky platform without subscription; add a Freesat card, and you get the full range of Freesat channels (more than are available on Sky's platform).
  • Aha, understood!

I think the Sky box is dead so I think feeding the cable TV line into the YouView box and seeing what happens is the next step.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Elm whereabouts in the world are you nowadays, I thought you mentioned Stoke on fb the other day/week. I have an old freesat box I could get to you, or you could get from me. Moving house myself at the minute though so things are all over the place. It's not got a pvr but you can see how freesat works and decide if that's the route for you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    My favorite thing about freesat was having all the local variations of channels, so I could watch the Bournemouth news if I felt homesick
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • But can you get Quest?
    That's the only channel you need.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Edinburgh, chum, albeit while working in Lincoln, so no stranger to the east coast main line.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm going to be up in Lincoln later this month (Waddington). Fancy giving me a tootal about in your supersonic jet?
  • I'll drop you a PM.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well if you want to pm me an address I can send the box up to you
  • Very kind chum, I'll see where we get.  Plugging a coax into the Virgin cable outlet and the other end into the TV or Youview box got us nowhere.  Jiggling the cable in the wall now has me 34 channels rather than 100, but at strength 10% and quality 100%, bizarrely.

The Sky HD box I got didn't work; but we did try a spare Freesat HD box which worked perfectly, so we do have a satellite feed.

Thing is, we're on a contract with BT.  I might just call them and say "it doesn't work" and ask them to send an engineer out.  It's what you'd do with broadband, maybe worth a shot for TV?
  • I would. Can't harm you.

Otherwise get yourself a freetime freesat box, it's well good! ;)
  • Come on then, get your recommend on and show me some links..... beginning to think BT will be no use.
  • Get rid of your TV licence and go fully catchup. They changed the law not that long ago and you can watch tv as long as it's not recorded from live or live obviously. So that means you can watch netflix, iplayer, 4OD etc without a tv licence. 

I have the same problem as you because I can't get a signal and don't want to go with sky. So now I just watch everything through the xbox. As long as you declare it to the BBC that you are opting out they cant do anything.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • When we moved (back in the dark analogue days) I couldn't get a signal for love nor money. Tuens out I was still looking for the old receiver. One auto tune later and all was well again.

I felt like a right twat.
  • Scots advice is good btw.
  • Don't the catch up services restrict themselves to a week, though? I like the fact that we're both busy but can still watch something recorded a fortnight ago when we have the time. IPlayer wouldn't be much use if there's a series on and we end up recording all of it, planning to watch it later, would it?

Otherwise, considering how rarely we watch things live that's not a bad shout. Is E4/More4 content on 4Od?
  • BBC iPlayer seems to bin content pretty quickly but the others aren't quite as harsh. The thing is I don't seem to watch anything the BBC has to offer these days but I can imagine it would be pretty annoying. From what I can gather 4OD has everything channel 4 offers. My gf seems to watch all manner of crap on there anyway. 

When I had sky I watched almost nothing live and the transition to all on demand has been pretty smooth. The only thing I miss is live F1 races and the news. But I've just got used to it. 

If I REALLY have to watch something then I go to a dodgy streaming site.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • I seem to recall iPlayer's transitioning to keeping some stuff for a month, which might be better.

We've got a Samsung smart TV, with Plex, Netflix, and all the usual streaming services, so we could arguably give this a go.
  • I think iplayer is going to go to 3 months. 
    Skimmed a headline about it a week or so ago.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!