Poor TV Signal
  • Deffo an option, and the cheapest.

If you do go freesat, get this box:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/freesat-plus-with-freetime/233947

500gb is plenty for loads of hd recording, it's compatible with the ios application for remote recording, and has all the catch up apps built-in. This is important: you can see what's available on catch up via backwards EPG it's well good.
  • Cheers dude, consider it bookmarked.
  • All you have to do is go on the tv licencing website and declare that you dont want to pay the fee. They have a blurb explaining what is and isn't acceptable. So no live tv etc. They also warn you that they may send a henchman to your house to check up on you. Legally you can tell them to fuck off so I wouldn't worry. Or you could make them a cup of tv, invite them in and show them your tv with the Ariel unplugged.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like a nice cup of TV.
  • herm mer gerd typepro
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Ok, Freesat it is.  I'm looking for an HD box with a recorder.  Not worried about Freetime too much as we have a TV and PS3 with Netflix, iPlayer, 4Od etc and all the usual catch-up things, so just a regular box would be fine.

Anyone (especially Funk!) got some recommendations?  That Humax one up there is about £205.  There's a Sagemcom one here which appears to be alright, and a cheap nasty one here for £130.  

If the Humax one is definitely the best I'll go for that, but if I can save £50-ish by not needing the Freetime functions that'd be nice too.

Any hints?
  • Ok fine I just bought the one Funk linked to at the top of the page.

It seems very nice, but having to flip to "non-Freesat mode" to get other channels is potentially a bit irritating, as my girlie's favourite background-noise radio station isn't on Freesat.

Other than that, hurrah!  From 0/maybe 7 channels to 204 in one fell swoop.
  • I still think your standard aerial isn't actually connected to your outlet socket. Don't exactly know how you'll check that tho.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Ok fine I just bought the one Funk linked to at the top of the page. It seems very nice, but having to flip to "non-Freesat mode" to get other channels is potentially a bit irritating, as my girlie's favourite background-noise radio station isn't on Freesat. Other than that, hurrah!  From 0/maybe 7 channels to 204 in one fell swoop.

Oops sorry missed this.

You definitely have the best box. By a mile. Humax are experts at PVRs, no-one touches them.

The best thing is you can use the iOS (and soon, Android) app to check EPG, remote record, remote control, and even switch to the catch-up players directly. GF will find other radio stations there are loads!

There are a few things I can't talk about right now which will also improve your experience even more; it'll be public in a week or so and I'll update then.

In the meantime, enjoy all the HD channels finally! Any Qs about the service, or whatever, just PM me.
  • Well, Freesat box now working fine, and BT have agreed to cancel our contract at no charge.  Because we were out of contract when we moved, they're letting us keep the box.

So we have a Humax BT Vision/Youview box.  What can I do with it?  Is it worth anything?  Do you need a BT TV account for it to work?  Anyone know anything about them?
  • How're you enjoying free time, used it at all?

Downloaded the iOS app and got a freesat id?

I think (think) the YouView box can be used as a free view box if you plug in a working DTT aerial BUT we know you don't have one of those so. Um, maybe if you plug in an internet connection you can get see the applications (Sky's NOW for example), but it may not work without a DTT signal plugged in.

So: try connecting to internet, if nothing works then, it's a dodo for your house so try and sell it. They're worth a bit.
  • Not sure if you need BT ISP connection for the connected stuff either sorry.
  • Yeah, it's no use in our place, it's what we've replaced with the Freesat box.  I was just wondering if there's any point in trying to sell it or if I should just give it away.

Not tried Freetime yet but have the iOS app running.  It's a good little bit of kit so far, it looks very slick and I love the style of all the menus etc.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    BT allow you to own the box, rather than rent it from them, so there should be a market for it, not a lot but have a gander on ebay
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • ok so i've bought a tv for one of the rooms in my parents house. It doesn't have signal, i've tried a big aerials thing plugged in but still no good. They have a normal TV arial on the roof and one output at the bottom of the house in the living room. This is going into a bedroom on the top floor (presumably quite close to the actual aerials )

So I presume I just need to get an arial socket fitted in the bedroom which then runs to the aerials  on the roof? And who does that sorta thing?

How do set top boxes work? I can't get an internet connection into the room either. lol
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Plenty of companies fit aerials, google or yellow pages will help.

Can you not get a WiFi router so you can get internet in the room?
  • Its tricky, the room is at the other end of the house from the original router and on the floor above. Not sure how to bounce the signal around. 

If I could then what other options would I have?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There is the black magic plug socket booster thingy majiggies that I think some on here have used that are apparently very good, but think they need to be on the same circuit.
  • Yeah same ring main but as long as you live in a fairly normal place it will be.
  • And they are awesome. I get my full 40Mb connection using them, no issues at all. I even got the ones that have a plug socket on the outside, so you effectively don't lose a plug.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!