The drinking man’s thread
  • poprock wrote:
    Also, we have a booze thread?

Don't get it confused with the whisky thread, AKA The Real Drinking Man's Thread (TM).

I type as I cradle a tinny of Tennents at a grassroots performance festival in sub-zero Aberdeen temperatures. It's delicious.
  • Didn’t take a hip flask? Amateur.
  • I7ozdES.jpg

Tempted to make a delicious punch, just like uni.
  • Raided my mother's drinks cabinet of all the bottles she didn't want. A litre of Bacardi, a bottle of snide coconut Malibuesque spirit, a third of a bottle of Jose C blanco, another third of Disaronno and a third of plum schnapps have all come home with me. Only went looking for some Sheridans she claimed was lurking somewhere. Currently trying to make the plum schnapps work.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Plum schnapps old fashioned.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • All you need is some weird glass and a sprinkle of jizz on top and you've a Hair-tail.
  • There wasn't much plum schnapps as it happened, only 150ml. I've done 50ml schnapps, 25ml of some apple and cinnamon cordial, ice, topped up with sparkling water. Seems to suit the weather.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Disaronno has possibilities. Can be a pleasant after dinner snifter on occasion in place of dessert.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Disaronno is a lovely addition to an affogato.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mate you can't say that
  • I can have my digestif as part of a dessert if I want to. It doesn’t have to be either/or.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A splash over a scoop of ice cream would be agreeable I'd imagine.
  • I just got a taste of the new spiced rum we’ve been designing for. Massive relief – it’s fucking gorgeous. I had such a fear that the actual rum might be rubbish, after we spent loads of time creating nice bottles for it.

It’s called Banditti Club – look out for it launching next Thursday. 

Genuinely a spiced rum I would happily drink neat, not just with ginger or coke. Strong hints of pineapple, star anise, and cloves. Bit of cinnamon too. None of the overwhelming caramel flavours you get with most spiced rums.
  • I'm not a fan of the name they've given it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • In the early 1800s Glasgow was plagued by drunken members of the Banditti Club, an association of affluent young ruffians. Their favourite prank was "boxing a Charlie" - tumbling over a night watchman's sentry box so that the elderly occupant was trapped underneath

Sounds alright.
  • I was given a bottle of Dark Matter rum for Christmas.  It had an interesting taste, but after a few I decided the interesting flavour was actually a bit rank.  Avoid.  Will keep an eye out for the Banditti, despite the name.
  • Dark Matter has been a massive commercial success. If you fancy this kind of thing though, I reckon the best on the market right now is Sweetdram Smoked Spiced Rum. It’s in a totally different league to mainstream stuff like Kraken etc.

And yeah – Frosty’s nailed the source of the name.
  • Any particular reason you chose to name it after a bunch of fudds?
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Any particular reason you chose to name it after a bunch of fudds?

It’s made in Glasgow. Enough reason for me.
    Spoiler:
  • Fudtipper Rum. Now I'd buy a bottle of that!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Fair enough.  It was genuine curiosity, not a dig.
  • Is it fud or fudd?  I'm unsure.
  • Just keeping you all informed, as requested.
  • Maybe it’s both spellings. Regional differences.
  • Wanting me some o'dat Sweetdram rum right there. Looks lovely.
  • Their other stuff is really good too. Big fan of the guy’s work, even though he’s in Edinburgh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rum is a funny drink with me. I've never really settled on what I like.

I went through a spell in my 20s of drinking something called Vat 19 (aka the Pope's Phone Number) with Coke. Vat 19 was a big seller back then - probably still is. Is a red rum from the Windies that was only sold in N.Ireland wrt to UK for some reason. Had a few mad nights on that.

I never really took to white rum. I remember getting pissed on free Bacardi at a promotion night once - long time ago. Think I may have just been drinking it straight. I have sampled several "over strength" white rums which were pretty lethal re their kick but I never really found it a pleasant drink.

Dark rum is very much an acquired taste. Both my parents and several of their friends drank it. All but my father added Coke to it. (called a "wee sensation" by a friend of my parents) McKibbins was the brand. I don't mind a dark rum on its own. I can remember some people taking it with a shot of peppermint cordial or blackcurrant. Brands such as Woods 100 and Lambs Navy.

Have a bottle of Ron Zacappa which is very pleasant but my rum drink of choice is Havana Club red with firey ginger, juice of half a lime and a dash of angostura bitters; called an Extraordinary in The Spaniard in Belfast - a pub that is worth a look if you visit. I also make these at home on occasion with reasonable success.

Lethal concoctions such as the Stroh series are to be approached with caution. I had a bottle of 60% which smelled glorious - like butterscotch but the taste wasn't great. I have drank the 80% too which was actually more palatable.

Spiced rums are OK. Sailor Jerry, Kraken etc - not something I'd drink a lot of. Bacardi Oakheart isn't bad.

Morgan's Spiced mixed with Club Orange (a N.Ireland soft drink) recreates the taste of a Joker lolly.
  • The Spaniard is a great little bar. Also really like their gin bar round the corner, Muriel’s.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!