The drinking man’s thread
  • Save for three days it has largely been a dry January for me. Going to break the booze fast in style tomorrow when I visit the mother and sister though. Acquired some Lillet Blanc for knocking out a Vesper or two for the first time. The Lillet, export Tanqueray, vodka and a lemon twist should be a stern drink. OG recipe is Kina Lillet, but as this was discontinued many moons ago, the Lillet Blanc is the accepted substitute.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've also barely touched a drop in January. I think I'll try to stick it out for February too.
  • I got well and truly shitfaced with some badgers last weekend. Might be why I’m sick as a dog now. Definitely not a dry January here.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 'You must drink a little more than moderation'.  Ha.  

Subs are more [5] than 8.5 though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh....I don't need them.  :)

Took me a few seconds to calibrate though.
  • Lucozade Zero and Fernet Branca.

I can't be trusted at all.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't understand those words.
  • Probably for the best.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Lucozade Zero and Fernet Branca.

I can't be trusted at all.

You sicko.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually.....@Brooks may be onto something there....
  • I don't think I've ever had Super Bock stout before this evening. Went off stout a few years ago as it's a bit of a lottery with guest taps in pubs but this is lovely. Sweet spot between strong and refreshing.
  • At £1.85 500ml this is a solid porter.
    5% so about the strength you want.
    It doesn't do anything new but holds its own.

It is very full, slightly sweet and with those subtle liquorice tones you would expect. It clings to the bottle and has a molasses like taste and thicker viscosity than usual lager or stout.

image.jpg
  • Had some Bud light last night. Ok on draft. Fucking rank in a bottle.
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's because you can actually taste the bottle stuff.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • dead-mans-fingers-pineapple-rum.jpg

Picked up a bottle of this for weekend gone. From the same purveyors of the dreaded hemp rum, I did my research this time and armed with some MoM rep I ponied up. Decent drop, good hit of roasted pineapple without the syrupy, over sweet mouth you might expect from the alcopop bothering bottle colour. Stiggins Pineapple probably blows it out of the water but I've given instruction on that to come my way at the next present giving occasion.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • LivDiv wrote:
    At £1.85 500ml this is a solid porter.
    5% so about the strength you want.
    It doesn't do anything new but holds its own.

It is very full, slightly sweet and with those subtle liquorice tones you would expect. It clings to the bottle and has a molasses like taste and thicker viscosity than usual lager or stout.

image.jpg

I don't really drink stout/porter much these days, found myself getting ruined by the hangovers too often when I was big into them, but I've been on the Super Bock Black during lockdown. Got a crate of 24 for £25, it's about as refreshing and crisp as stout gets. Wasn't expecting much but I'm definitely into it.
  • You can get the bbq sized stubbies with ringpulls too.
  • I got my mate that pineapple rum for his bday.
    He said it was great, unfortunately it was peak lockdown so I didnt get a taste
  • Treat yourself.
  • 17uIZlY.jpg

Day two of a four day booze sale at HQ. Spent eighty quid so far. Gathered a haul for yuletide festivities; four proseccos, a prosecco magnum, seven bottles of pinot grigio (mum only drinks fizz and pg... and martinis), and took a punt on the above line up.

Vodka looks fancy and is present bound, the Pineapple Grenade Rum has good rep and has balls at 65%. DMF Coffee Rum can't be any worse than the hemp and after a quick Google it seems I'm in safe hands. The Pogues single malt however was a risky punt given Shane's dodgy dentistry. I thought me dad might like it but after another browse online I don't think I'll subject him to it and get him something with a bit more provenance. I'll let my own liver and tastebuds take on this challenge.
  • I scored a boxed set of Glaswegian rums in today’s office secret Santa. One dark, one white and one pineapple. Pleased with that! The white will go into cocktails, the other two will be sipped.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I tried that Pogues whiskey at an sampling event. By the time I reached that stall I was into the 3rd hour so my tastebuds were fecked. It seemed fine. Nothing Earth shattering. The blended version was quite good for that division.
  • Sampled it last night, it wasn't great, pretty poor. I did a lol at the sampling notes on MoM, I wouldn't say my palette was business class but they were tasting something else. This is very one note, maybe a hint of caramel but thin, insipid and too much of the base spirit coming through on the aftertaste. Thank your lucky stars your taste buds had already taken a beating, Davy. It's mixer whiskey now, shove it in a Godfather and forget it's there. I removed the stigma from my mouth with the DMF coffee rum. Pretty good, not mind blowing, like a less syrupy, sippable Kahlua.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember liking the blend better than the single malt. But I was well gone by that time.
  • Popped in a posh beer shop to see if they had any good vermouth for my vodka martini addiction, ended up buying a Dolin.  Also fancied trying something I'd never had before, so after a chat with the friendly, surprisingly beardless beer man I grabbed a bottle of Fernet-Branca.  Early days as I'm halfway through my first drop, but at this stage it tastes like drinking Night Nurse immediately after eating a packet of Trebor extra strong mints.  I can't work out why it's not hideous, I've had three sips while typing this.
  • I made Martinis at the weekend for mum and sister, Riri Martinis however, or at least my version of. Rihanna's favourite tipple allegedly, hers is a little washed out, 50ml of gin and 25ml of coconut water. I do the same but throw in a 25ml measure of Malibu (or the cheaper Bali in this case) for that totally tropical taste, a chunk of pineapple adorning the rim. Refreshing, totally out of whack for winter but drinkable all the same.
  • I can't stop drinking vodka martinis.  I like the vespers and will dabble but prefer it without the gin.  I've never been into vodka really, it's nice enough with coke but it's not a spirit I go mad for as a rule.  Vodka martini is probably ahead of an old fashioned now for me, ridiculously good drink.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Popped in a posh beer shop to see if they had any good vermouth for my vodka martini addiction, ended up buying a Dolin.  Also fancied trying something I'd never had before, so after a chat with the friendly, surprisingly beardless beer man I grabbed a bottle of Fernet-Branca.  Early days as I'm halfway through my first drop, but at this stage it tastes like drinking Night Nurse immediately after eating a packet of Trebor extra strong mints.  I can't work out why it's not hideous, I've had three sips while typing this.

It is like drinking the liquid from those small squeezable karvol capsules.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I remain addicted to whisky sours. They are so damn good.

Current recipe: juice of half a lemon (unless it’s tiny) mixed 1:1 with simple syrup, two shots of bourbon, half a medium egg white, a couple of dashes of Angostura bitters, shake with ice for about 15 seconds, strain over ice, knock it back.

So damn tasty.

Will have to track down some orange bitters at some point to see what they do to it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!