Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    qfpt
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    We could do with a decent Linux os for phones that isn't owned by big tech.
    Found this while futzing around - https://postmarketos.org/ Linux-based, rather than an Android derivative.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Some random bits and pieces from OMGUbuntu that might be of interest to folks.

OneDrive support coming to Nautilus file manager.

The Warp terminal could be very useful to folks who spend their lives in the command line (and/or work cooperatively).

While you've been able to use Apple earphones/buds with Linux systems for a while, you haven't been able to check the remaining battery - because Apple uses a slightly different method than everyone else for doing so. (Curse you, Cupertino!) Thanks to some intrepid reverse engineering, now you can.
  • I don't use any of those, but cheers anyway.
    What I'm pondering now is a move to Wayland, just to see what I'm missing. The KDE implementation possibly? Getting slightly bored of Xfce after so many years. It's solid, though, you have to give it that.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Got GhostBSD running on my old laptop, so here's your "posting from that machine now (but you've got no way to tell, so you'll just have to trust me)" post.
  • Fantastic! :-)
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Battery seems to be running hot, and I can't get the BIOS to boot from the drive with BSD on it by default, but eh. It's a project. A big fat "Raspberry Pi" to play with.
  • I don't think I've even tried any of the BSDs. I've read they're incredibly secure by default, but you need to work hard to do some things we take for granted in Linux world.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    My experience goes as far as getting NomadBSD on a USB stick one evening and going "Huh, it works."

It'll be interesting to see how different it is. First step might be to get Bluetooth working; it seems that it  does work but you have batter it into submission first. Or just buy a dongle and give up a USB port.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    In other news, you know what's excellent? GNOME 3 is excellent.
  • Never given Gnome a chance; I'm an Xfce man. Now I'm testing KDE 5.27 on the new computer and it's been fantastic so far. Version 6 seems to be giving people more trouble at the moment, though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It's the default on Ubuntu; I can see why certain folks got narked with it and made MATE, but I like it. Functional and uncluttered, but if you like the desktop metaphor, you might find it a bit Tonka toy. I think it really works on the smaller screen of my Surface Go 2.

The laptop I used at my last job ran KDE neon, I really liked that too. Back at university I had Xubuntu on a bondi blue iMac, Xfce saved my bacon while I waited for my laptop to be repaired.

I guess I'm just easily impressed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!