The Linux geek thread
  • AJ wrote:
    Just skimmed the Wikipedia article. There's a lot of bollocks going on with people doing things for no other reason than the fact they can. Which would be fine if it was a hobby thing and people weren't all going OMG.

Aye, I tinkered with that stuff just for shits and giggles. Having a couple of Nexuses and an OG Galaxy Tab mean I can play around just to see what I can do. Ubuntu on Android is one such example, possible but pointless.

• Fucking about now with Kubuntu and Xubuntu booted from a usb stick. Fuck me, Linux has come a long way. Kubuntu is especialy slick.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah, Kubuntu sits nicely on my 10+ yr old laptop.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Kubuntu easily rivals win10 and macosX in terms of presentation. Need to testdrive it a bit longer to see how it fares in functionality.

Love how easy it is to create a bootable usb from a random linux distro iso. Boot from usb into live mode and bam, you're running a different os.
  • By the by, Xubuntu is a much better pick than Kubuntu if you're running on 10+ yr old hw.
    Lighter, faster and smaller; it runs better on older hardware.
  • Will have a look. Ta.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Kubuntu easily rivals win10 and macosX in terms of presentation.

They've polished it up since I last used an Ubuntu distro in anger, then. KDE always seemed a bit rough around the edges way-back-when.

Though for a while my main machine was a Xubuntu box and I loved it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Now with updated opening post to make thread more accessible.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Kubuntu easily rivals win10 and macosX in terms of presentation.
    They've polished it up since I last used an Ubuntu distro in anger, then. KDE always seemed a bit rough around the edges way-back-when. Though for a while my main machine was a Xubuntu box and I loved it.

Xubuntu is great; solid little distro.
    Kubuntu is quite a bit heavier with lots more eye candy. A real looker and definitely worth checking out.
  • I'm using Debian Testing now. It works like a rolling release distro and so you don't have to worry about upgrading. It's been much less painful than I expected, but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Turns out Vista's losing support this year. Glad in a way but I won't be able to get a new machine in the immediate future. Any suggestions for a desktop Linux? It spends most of its time downloading torrents and storing / serving media to devices around the house.
  • Ubuntu is a nice distro for newcomers.
    Comes in various flavours (aka desktop environments aka skins) but vanilla ubuntu is a good place to start.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download
  • Cool,been running Lubuntu on an old laptop for a while so won't be much different. Just making sure there was nothing more desktop/media servy I should look at. Thanks.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Ubuntu still comes in a Server flavour, iirc.

My uncle swears by Linux Mint, which is an Ubuntu derivative that promotes ease of use over a dedication to Free/open-source software.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Well I've royally shot myself in the foot. One of our Linux guys quit recently, quite an experienced red hat chap. Over a cup of tea, my manager was taking about potentially hiring a replacement but not having the same salary band available as the guy who left, due to budget cuts. So any new guy wouldn't be that experienced. I stupidly said ".. Red hat? I could pick that up with some training, cant be that hard can it?" My intention was that I could learn RedHat and later on down the line ask for a pay rise. In retrospect this was a stupid idea.

So next thing I know I've been put on a two part RH training course. (Now I should mention, if you get put on a training course, you are expected to sit and pass the exam to get the certification. Otherwise you forfit your end of year bonus, with is a few grand).

So I've done part one of the course, part two is at the end of may with an exam. I'm studying at home after work, bought a RHCSA (RedHat Certified System Admin) study guide. Now I'm quite experienced with Windows OS, but Linux at times is completely baffling me. I know the more I study and practise the easier it should become, however I think I've bitten off more than I can chew and won't pass the exam. I'll give it my best shot, but I'm gonna forfeit my end of year bonus. Sigh.

On a related note, RedHat make it difficult to get their distro on a personal email address. I got a developer distro, however I need three distros for my lab. Can I reuse my RedHat developer distro multiple times? I had to register my first install in order to be able to download the repositories.

If not, is centOS and scientific Linux the closest comparable distros to RedHat?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not sure about CentOS, but have you checked out any of the courses on Lynda.com?

www.lynda.com/Linux-tutorials/Welcome/592504/652467-4.html

There might be some that ease you in and give you a grounding before trying the more advanced stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    CentOS is very similar to RHEL. It's basically the same code with less support (and maybe a slight drift assist over time, and minor differences like what uname says n shit).

RPMs and whatnot all use the same process, so yum and apt-get shizzle.

I'm happy to try and answer specific CentOS questions if you hit any, cos I'm pretty balls deep in it as my day job...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    If not, is centOS and scientific Linux the closest comparable distros to RedHat?

My minimal Linux knowledge can confirm that Scientific Linux is basically Red Hat with some stuff stripped out and other packages put in. At least, last time I checked it was a RH derivative. But if it is still based on RH, I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's similar enough to learn RH on.

So, yeah, an entirely pointless post from me.
  • How different is Fedora to Red Hat? My initial thought was to suggest that.
  • I thought Red Hat was a paid for version of Fedora?
    Anyway,just thought I'd mention the Linux foundation do an intro course if you're really stuck.
  • Kind of, think it used to be that Fedora was a free, community built version of Red Hat. No idea how much it's diverged.
  • A quick search suggests Fedora is used as a staging ground for things before they get adopted by Red Hat and that CentOS would be a closer match.
  • Cheers guys. Muzzy I may have questions in the near future. I'm gonna download centOS and scientific linux.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    With what little experience I've had with CentOS, it's like most other distributions, but the package manager is shite, which makes installing common stuff really hard. Especially if you're used to the Debian alikes (i.e Ubuntu).

I think, between us all here, we'd be able to answer most of your questions though, but it probably depends on what you're doing.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Doing some revision and although we had limited use of a Linux virtual machine but never used putty, these questions may pop up as they were on a past paper:

Write commands to do each of the following on a Virtual Machine that runs on Linux:

(i)      Get the IP Address

(ii)      List the files in the current directory

(iii)      Print the name of the working directory

(iv)      Change directory to /var/www

(v)      Display the contents of file index.html

(vi)      Copy a file named test.php to a file named test.php.v1

(vii) Edit file test.php using an editor such as vi or nano 

(viii) Use putty secure copy ‘pscp’ to copy the file test.php from the       /var/www directory of the Virtual Machine to the host machine.     Assume the username of the host machine is frodo, and its IP address is        192.168.1.1

Anyone care to share answers to ones that aren't struck through?
    This is simply an exercise in avoiding Google if I can tap into the hive mind here and focus on other things.
    Thanks.
  • IIRC, the easiest ones, at their simplest:

(v) cat index.html
    (vi) cp test.php test.php.v1
  • Thanks AJ.
    Is "more index.html" another option? I've just come across mention of a more command.
  • ifconfig eth0 seems to suffice for (i) so I may just have to google putty.
  • More would be
    cat index.html | more

IIRC
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nah, that's a gratuitous cat, waste of a process. Use more directly. It gives paging etc tho, Vs printing the whole lot.

Bottom one is

pscp [email protected]:/var/www/test.php .

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!