Brazil 2014
  • Italy. Heard it here first.
  • What are the odds of a completely new winner of the tournament? If that were the case the most likely team would be Netherlands I assume.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    The BBC site is showing a rerun of the Italia' 90 semi-final against Germany at the moment.

I remember that one well. I was working behind the bar of The Unicorn in Great Malvern, Worcs when that was broadcast. People weren't happy at the result and I had to shut a friend of mine up for his own health, a fellow denizen of N.Ireland, who was pissed, thought it was hilarious, and was singing the German National Anthem.

A few hanging baskets were trashed outside and some guy got stabbed. Not exactly Columbia - but still. Happy memories.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I was still at Junior school. Parents let me stay up to watch. I'm sure I cried afterwards, my general anti-England stance having not been fully formed at that stage.

T'was a golden summer of not leaving the house without my official World Cup football and pretending to be Roger Milla & Toto Scillatchi at any opportunity.

Retro-commentary: Gascoigne's just hit a rasper from thirty yards and England have been the better team in this opening stage. John Motson's noticeably less shrill and irritating and there's a distinct lack of brass band.
  • Couldn't be bothered watching anymore, my nostalgia itch was sufficiently scratched.
  • Head says Brazil. Heart says Holland and also Pirlo cos Pirlo is fucking Pirlo.

Rooting for Belgium.
  • Holland's defence and midfield is weak, RvP is also struggling for fitness.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    TheDJR wrote:
    Kewell?
    Naw.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Head says Brazil. Heart says Holland and also Pirlo cos Pirlo is fucking Pirlo. Rooting for Belgium.

How old is Pirlo now? 60?

Anyway... England... I would have preferred Redknapp's neck on the chopping block, because he'd like, straighten shit out under flak, but Hodge has at least chosen the best English players he could find...

It's just a shame they can't do so much as defend a plastic chair at a barbecue...

But I'm expecting no goaless draws from England at the very least.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Kewell?
    Naw.

Viduka? Sorry... Just caught up with DJR's posts.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Might stick a tenner on Belgium actually.  Will also do an acky on group winners and a match from each group for the first round of games.
  • Shut your mouth, dynamite.

Look at this guy.

YUqC88y.png

MA MAN
  • This impromptu audience with Roy Hodgson in the tunnel is class. Pure awkwardness.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I wonder what the odds are on Japan making it out of their group, and them doing so in first place?...
  • I wonder what the odds are on Japan making it out of their group, and them doing so in first place?...

6/5 to qualify, 11/4 to get 2nd place, 9/2 for first place.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Done some outrageous betting:

Just backed 7 Goals (Exact Group Goals) at 66/1 with @Skybet - Group D  

Just backed 1st Colombia 2nd Japan (Group Straight Forecast) at 4/1 with @Skybet - Group C

Just backed Colombia (Each Way) at 40/1 with @Skybet - World Cup 2014
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LarryDavid wrote:
    John Motson's noticeably less shrill and irritating

He used to shout the player's name as they struck the ball. Today, most comms start shouting in anticipation, one syllable at a time. Mor---ee---en---tezzz!

Roooooo---n'yow!

and there's a distinct lack of brass band.

And diving. Such a refreshing lack of diving. (In the Ireland repeat just now, this was.)
  • Brazil’s World Cup Is An Expensive, Exploitative Nightmare
    In the end, there is always the financial aspect of the biggest show on earth. Goldman Sachs strategist Peter Oppenheimer said the company’s analysts have found that, according to past history, the winning country’s equity markets outperform global stocks by 3.5 percent on average in the first month after winning, “although the outperformance fades significantly after three months.” 
    Brazil will beat Argentina 3-1 in the final after they see off Germany and Spain in their respective semifinals, Goldman analysts including Jan Hatzius and Sven Jari Stehn said in a report. The host nation has a 48.5 percent probability of winning the FIFA tournament, followed by Argentina at 14.1 percent and Germany at 11.4 percent.
    These are bankers, not bookies.
    A report like this can lead the mind to extreme cynicism about how and why games are determined.

My money on Brazil, as per. . .Goldman Sachs?!
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    They're bonkers, not bookies
  • I really dont want Brazil to win. All that fawning over them really irritates me. I also don't want Germany or USA to win. 

Once England go out i'll be supporting Argentina. Would love to see Messi be part of a World Cup winning team.
  • Got Argentina in the work sweepstake.
  • I've got Greece...
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    We did a sweepstakes at work, but I don't know who I've got as they're not opening the envelopes until the semis. I've never heard of a sweepstakes being organised like this, fair enough if you keep the teams secret until everyone has a team, but this is just bonkers. Who do I support?
  • Facewon wrote:
    Brazil’s World Cup Is An Expensive, Exploitative Nightmare
    In the end, there is always the financial aspect of the biggest show on earth. Goldman Sachs strategist Peter Oppenheimer said the company’s analysts have found that, according to past history, the winning country’s equity markets outperform global stocks by 3.5 percent on average in the first month after winning, “although the outperformance fades significantly after three months.” 
    Brazil will beat Argentina 3-1 in the final after they see off Germany and Spain in their respective semifinals, Goldman analysts including Jan Hatzius and Sven Jari Stehn said in a report. The host nation has a 48.5 percent probability of winning the FIFA tournament, followed by Argentina at 14.1 percent and Germany at 11.4 percent.
    These are bankers, not bookies.
    A report like this can lead the mind to extreme cynicism about how and why games are determined.
    My money on Brazil, as per. . .Goldman Sachs?!
    adored wrote:
    I read the Goldman Sachs World Cup predictions document the other day, which made for an interesting couple of hours. Worth a look..as long as you don't expect them to talk up Engerland (54% chance of getting out of the group, 1% chance of winning). Semi predictions from them are Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain. (Brazil beat Argentina in the final). I was actually considering going to stick a few quid on their predictions from the group stages onwards.
    Economists' attempts to forecast the outcome of the World Cup are a harmless exercise in seeking publicity. All the same, consultancy firm PwC, limbering up for Brazil, could have found space in its 10-page analysis to tell us how its "PwC World Cup Index" performed at launch four years ago at South Africa 2010. Short answer: lamentably. "The favourite must be Brazil," opined PwC then, as now. The South Americans lost their quarter-final. "Germany, Italy and Argentina are also strong contenders," said the number-crunchers in 2010, hedging their bets and attempting to cover many bases. None of that trio reached the final. Italy even managed to finish bottom of a group that included New Zealand. "Cameroon and Nigeria also have the potential to do relatively well in 2010," continued PwC. Both finished bottom of their groups, with Cameroon losing all its games. PwC's 2010 study in econometrics also came up with this shocker: "England remain a good bet for reaching the quarter-finals." No, that was a very unsafe bet: the model did not foresee the horror of Bloemfontein and the 4-1 defeat at the hands of Germany in the last 16. As for eventual winners Spain, PwC struck a sceptical note. "Spain has been a historic underperformer (notably when playing at home in 1982) that needs to do better this time to justify its second place in the current Fifa world rankings." Losing finalists Holland didn't even get a mention among PwC's list of potential outperformers. "It is difficult to produce reliable forecasts of the outcomes of the 2014 World Cup based on econometrics alone," concludes PwC this time. Yes, you demonstrated that last time.
  • Once England go out i'll be supporting Argentina.

You dirty cunt.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    adored wrote:
    Once England go out i'll be supporting Argentina.
    You dirty cunt.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!