Brazil 2014
  • We did a sweepstakes at work, but I don't know who I've got as they're not opening the envelopes until the semis. I've never heard of a sweepstakes being organised like this, fair enough if you keep the teams secret until everyone has a team, but this is just bonkers. Who do I support?

They haven't got a clue. Rubbish idea. What's the point of even doing it?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Heh, don't mince your words lads.

Seriously though, what the fuck is going on with my sweepstakes at work? It's utterly fucking ridiculous isn't it? Has anyone ever heard of it being done in such a way?

Edit: oh thank fuck for Monkey, I thought I was on my own.
  • Nah, that's a shite sweepstake, whole point is to give you a bit of interest in the group games.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I concur. Dumbest idea this week.
  • Tell them it's stupid, and they need to open envelopes once all have gone.
  • It was probably his idea.
  • We only have a small office/pool of interested sweepstakes participants, so we drew three each, got Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands. Fucking smashed it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've told them, it got as far as an email vote going around, which amazingly came back as a majority 'no' to opening the envelopes.

I can't make sense of it.
  • That's fucking stupid.  Ask for your quid back and put a normal bet on a team with equivalent odds to what you'd get from the sweepstake.

At work they've been kept secret until all sold.  Big reveal today, I got UruGuAY.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    £5 a shot!

I'm not even arsed about winning, the whole point in a sweepstake to me is to have an interest in a team/horse you'd not normally back in a bet, and to have a bit of banter between ourselves during the tournament.

Finding out your team at the semi finals means that 28 people are instantly out, leaving four to have a fleeting bit of joy for the remaining two games. Incredibly shite idea.
  • Yeah, I'd ask for my fiver back then, why the fuck would anyone be interested in it if they don't know if their team is even still in the fucking thing?
  • Quit your job on principle.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's turned a sweepstake into a lottery. Or something.
  • It's fucking ridiculous Paul, I'm vexed on your behalf.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ludicrous idea. The point of a sweep is to give you some level of interest in the group stages.

Ask for your £5 back and then back a team at the bookies.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think you should actually tender your resignation.

I mean do you really want to work in a place with a statistical majority of frickin eejots?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, that's a bit of a wanky solution. I'm going to keep in it and rub their stupidity in their faces for the entire tournament. I've already started by saying I'll do the National sweep next year, but we'll only draw the horses after the race.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You know what people are using as an excuse? That if they draw Iran or some no hopers then at least they'll be in the running until the semis. I can't understand the logic.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They're in denial, and that's not a river in Egypt.
  • They won't be, they will be out whether they know or not. They draw Iran, they are not in until the semis. They are out straight away.

Ask them all who they are going to be supporting for the sweep.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Whoever organised that seriously needs their head examined and couldn't possibly have had anything to do with a sweep in their life.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Punch them all, Paul.

Punch them good.
  • What a fucking stupid idea. You now loose the highs and lows of the underdogs shock win over a fancied team etc... The magic etc... Is lost.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Top lols guys.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • adored wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Brazil’s World Cup Is An Expensive, Exploitative Nightmare
    In the end, there is always the financial aspect of the biggest show on earth. Goldman Sachs strategist Peter Oppenheimer said the company’s analysts have found that, according to past history, the winning country’s equity markets outperform global stocks by 3.5 percent on average in the first month after winning, “although the outperformance fades significantly after three months.” 
    Brazil will beat Argentina 3-1 in the final after they see off Germany and Spain in their respective semifinals, Goldman analysts including Jan Hatzius and Sven Jari Stehn said in a report. The host nation has a 48.5 percent probability of winning the FIFA tournament, followed by Argentina at 14.1 percent and Germany at 11.4 percent.
    These are bankers, not bookies.
    A report like this can lead the mind to extreme cynicism about how and why games are determined.
    My money on Brazil, as per. . .Goldman Sachs?!
    adored wrote:
    I read the Goldman Sachs World Cup predictions document the other day, which made for an interesting couple of hours. Worth a look..as long as you don't expect them to talk up Engerland (54% chance of getting out of the group, 1% chance of winning). Semi predictions from them are Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain. (Brazil beat Argentina in the final). I was actually considering going to stick a few quid on their predictions from the group stages onwards.
    Economists' attempts to forecast the outcome of the World Cup are a harmless exercise in seeking publicity. All the same, consultancy firm PwC, limbering up for Brazil, could have found space in its 10-page analysis to tell us how its "PwC World Cup Index" performed at launch four years ago at South Africa 2010. Short answer: lamentably. "The favourite must be Brazil," opined PwC then, as now. The South Americans lost their quarter-final. "Germany, Italy and Argentina are also strong contenders," said the number-crunchers in 2010, hedging their bets and attempting to cover many bases. None of that trio reached the final. Italy even managed to finish bottom of a group that included New Zealand. "Cameroon and Nigeria also have the potential to do relatively well in 2010," continued PwC. Both finished bottom of their groups, with Cameroon losing all its games. PwC's 2010 study in econometrics also came up with this shocker: "England remain a good bet for reaching the quarter-finals." No, that was a very unsafe bet: the model did not foresee the horror of Bloemfontein and the 4-1 defeat at the hands of Germany in the last 16. As for eventual winners Spain, PwC struck a sceptical note. "Spain has been a historic underperformer (notably when playing at home in 1982) that needs to do better this time to justify its second place in the current Fifa world rankings." Losing finalists Holland didn't even get a mention among PwC's list of potential outperformers. "It is difficult to produce reliable forecasts of the outcomes of the 2014 World Cup based on econometrics alone," concludes PwC this time. Yes, you demonstrated that last time.

Excellent. Publicity was the obvious answer (which I didn't see). Cheers.

If only the other aspects of the article were so easily explicable and harmless.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I still think Belgium.
  • I've put a few bets in tonight, biggest was lumping all my betting funds on Brazil to make the semi finals at least. 

Thinking about doing the same for Spain to reach the quarters at the very least as a back up.
  • Have you set fire to them yet Paul?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ha, it's crossed my mind, but I'd probably end up with more work in the long run.

I have had a bit of a rethink on davyK's idea though and if I can't convince people of their stupidity today then I'll pull my deep sea diver back out and chuck it on Holland at 35/1. Is anyone doing free bets for signing up?
  • iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!