Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Your standards are nigh on inhuman though.
  • Brooks wrote:
    I have little confidence they can pull this series back towards good.
    Me neither, but Zelda seems to have surpassed expectations, so...

The problem has been this turn towards world-building, back story and character development. They've got to knock that shit on the head (not least because it was done so badly). Isolation and uninterrupted exploration are non-negotiable for a good Metroid IMO.
  • Corruption ended all that Phazon stuff so it may well be a fresh start
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I have little confidence they can pull this series back towards good.
    Me neither, but Zelda seems to have surpassed expectations, so... The problem has been this turn towards world-building, back story and character development. They've got to knock that shit on the head (not least because it was done so badly). Isolation and uninterrupted exploration are non-negotiable for a good Metroid IMO.

Metroid aways gave a hint of a much larger, Star Wars like worl... ummm... Galaxy...

Some space-faring/planet-hopping would be an interesting addition to the series, even if it's not initially welcome.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No it wouldn't. Talk of Star Wars, or extended universes ftm, is poison
  • Nah, one planet please.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Nah, one planet please.

I'll see what I can do...
  • You're right that there were definitely hints to a larger universe at hand, but that's all they needed to be.

Planet hopping was one of Corruption's flaws.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    One of the things I really like about BotW, is how it completely invalidates the idea of using literary innuendos to artificially inflate the gameworld.

Metroid could well benefit from the kitchen sink art approach Nintendo applied to Zelda.
  • I feel dense but I don't follow
  • Was about to sell my 2DS but that remake got me thinking otherwise. I presume it'll run like a dog on it though, a la Hyrule Warriors?..
  • Was about to sell my 2DS but that remake got me thinking otherwise. I presume it'll run like a dog on it though, a la Hyrule Warriors?..

I don't recall any talk of new 3DS enhanced so it should be fine I think.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I feel dense but I don't follow

I didn't put it very well, but what I mean, is that a good number of action adventure games will tell you of places that exist to support the in game story, but the game designers never give you the chance to visit them.

What I like about Zelda the most, above all other features, is how if an NPC talks about 'Archos Cavern', or some shit, it very likely exists with the game itself, and with some skill/determination, you can visit it.

In the Metroid games, there's always a little backstory as to how Samus came to be stranded in the latest episode. Those backstories always appear to namedrop locations that you never get to visit in the game itself.

Changing that, I think, would be as interesting to the developers, as I think it would eventually be to us.

I'm imagining a tighter, far more entertaining No Mans Sky, basically.
  • The only "proper" Metroid that isn't all primarily in one location is Corruption though. 

I think a dense and well constructed Zebes/Aether/SR388/TallonIV style location would be far preferable to hopping around planets. Zelda has already done big open expanses and exploration, Metroid should be twisting caverns and labyrinthine bases.

We'll have to see, but namedropping Zebes or Tallon in an opening crawl does nothing to harm my immersion in what is essentially a dungeon crawl.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Not one, but two new Metroid games? And one is Prime 4, to boot?

1239788892_jizz-in-my-pants.gif
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Agree with one main location.  Thinking you may have seen a morph ball hole halfway up a wall somewhere on the second star to the right, only to get there and discover you were mistaken could be a wee bit irritating.  I've only played Fusion properly, but tight design appears to be something the series thrives on, rather than infinite expanses filled with stuff to do as an afterthought.

I don't recall any talk of new 3DS enhanced so it should be fine I think.

That's the thing, Hyrule Warriors didn't have any indication before launch, or on the box it needed/had it. It was reading reviews n ting before I attempted to buy it that warned me off. I think the same may be the case for Smash Bros..
  • Best off just waiting for reviews then I reckon
  • Pours water over my CE preorder. Ho hum.
  • Or pre-order it and if it doesn't work, sell it for MIGHTY profit?
  • The Metroid track record is pretty solid tbf.

Other:M has its haters but let's remember... that was Team Ninja.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Pours water over my CE preorder. Ho hum.

Where'd you get that cheeky preorder?
  • Oh I haven't even looked if it's live. Just know the sku is A Thing.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It ain't up on anything​ but I'm keen on this one
  • Does metroid need to be 'prime'? could it have been a new story? Or does it just mean 3d first person explorer?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I suspect the title is more skewing to let you know it's a first person game
  • The galaxy is never at peace but they always throw it in.
  • I thought the whole Prime and Phazon shit got resolved in 3. 

Could be a prequel! Like how the Metroid Prime came about or whatever.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Can't say I am overly fussed about what the story is as long as it doesn't interfere with the gameplay.
    I played the whole Prime trilogy and can't remember anything of any of the story.
  • Story never did get in the way in Prime 1 for example but it was there if you wanted it, so I think same approach would be nice. Just not too much scanning please...
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!