Metroid General Thread - The Queen of Video Land
  • I hope so - I do love Metroid something fierce.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Let's have a Metroid orgy.
  • I reckon Prime 4 might actually be Third Person. I don't say it with any degree of certainty, but I was thinking about how Splatoon utilises both its firing and traversal mechanics as things that feed back into each other in a constant loop, fire to lay ink, jump in ink to move quicker and reload, and repeat.

I can see the charge beam drawing on a power gauge that recharges when you morph ball, and the morph ball being a Platinum style dodge. That's how i'd do it anyway. I think it will need to rethink itself in first person if it does go that way though, scanning was fun but will need to be quicker now, and there definitely can't be any of those "you have to scan it before blowing it up" because that's against Nintendo's current "any approach works" style.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Stop making shit up. We're already aroused.
  • Metroid as an open world could work.
    Think arkham city/DS1 but bigger in scope.
    And with a living breathing ecosystem.

They should take Zelda's botw concept and run with it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • How is a go anywhere you please In an open environment anything relevant to a metroid game?

Like what do you want from a metroid game? Just a sci fi skin?! Is that what people have been grasping for?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just make it like Arkham Asylum. Apparently that's good enough.
  • I just want the fourth game in the Metroid prime series. More of that but shinier.
  • How is a go anywhere you please In an open environment anything relevant to a metroid game?

Like what do you want from a metroid game? Just a sci fi skin?! Is that what people have been grasping for?

Open world can add a lot to the immersion and coherence of a world. For all intents and purposes, the open world design of Batman Arkham City and the Witcher3 were amazing. Same could be said for Switch Zelda.

• Why not just ask for open world sci fi then?

What does "metroid" add to the party?
  • Why not just ask for open world sci fi then?

What does "metroid" add to the party?

Be careful what you ask for.
    Not impossible but very easy to fuck up.

Indeed. Metroid is about being restricted on where you can go because of your abilities, then finding new ones to get to places you couldn't before.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
    Indeed. Metroid is about being restricted on where you can go because of your abilities, then finding new ones to get to places you couldn't before.
    Could say that about Zelda until recently.

Not that I'm advocating for an open world. I'd rather it was more like a 3D Super Metroid type thing.
  • Whatever, the Batman games are a terrible template. Wouldn't want anything like that at all.
  • Zelda 1 and 2 had the foundation of a go anywhere you please.

When people were complaining about the modern zelda formula they often cited the mystery adventure feel of zelda 1
  • I think, given that it is Metroid Prime 4 we can expect it to play very similarly to the other Prime games.
    If you look at Nintendo's modern era they tend to stick quite closely to what games are within their categories.
    3D Land and World are clearly in a category. Galaxy 1 and 2 were clearly a thing separate from Sunshine or now Odyssey.

One thing I would like is a bit more imagination in how the equipment unlocks new routes. There was some in the prime trilogy but most of it was different coloured doors. I wouldn't mind it also heading slightly (and only slightly) more to survival horror. Just a bit darker and a bit more threatening.
    I love the Prime games but rarely did I feel vulnerable.
  • Open world like BotW but with lots of gated off areas until you get the required gear could work really well I reckon.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Just make it like Arkham Asylum. Apparently that's good enough.

But does she have a phone?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    No open world please I get the concept but I'm bored shitless by them.
  • Yeah, Metroids are about warrens, not plains.
  • But they'd absolutely need to cloak their item-based lock-n-key fuckery more convincingly, and move well past contextless powerups in just-so cavities and shit.
  • I'd actually thought that best way to deal with yet another re-upgrade your suit structure would be to embrace sequence breaking and turn it into, y'know, the whole shebang.

Suit gets damaged and then rather than getting a specific upgrade, allow the player to select which function to restore - double / spider jump (depending on whether it is 1st or 3rd person), charge shot, morph ball etc.

Have your central hub and have a dense and interlinked map, and allow players to pick the tools at their disposal. Direction and play style would be dictated as a result.

Would have to be designed to within an inch of its life, though.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah the central hub idea is a cracker, see: Super with the ship. Prime had it to an extent with its landing area but there was rarely a need to revisit bar save/path to new area. Super had loads of shit there to find.
  • Maybe that's why it's taken 7 years and counting.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @cinty that would work well. Go tell Ninty.
  • Agree with cinty, incremental suit sttyle upgrading at workbenches is the way forward.
    As for world design, I prefer open world. A Dark Souls level layout would work well too. They should design the enemies (flora/fauna) to be part of an overarching but logical ecosystem..
    They could make a hacking minigame of the door unlock sequences. Makes a bit more sense than shooting special weapon to open door.
  • If they make it open world I am blaming you idiots.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    If they make it open world I am blaming you idiots.

My man.
  • Tempy wrote:
    If they make it open world I am blaming you idiots.

My man.

My men.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!