Mass Effect Universe (Spoilers)
  • Do you think you'll be able to carry over your inventory and weapons from game to game in this remastered trilogy? As I understand it, everything bar one of the DLCs is included in this package, so you'll be picking up a lot of loot and special weapons no doubt. It'd be nice if you were able to to keep hold and modify your favourite laser pistol all the way through from beginning to end, although I don't think they've thought about that at all.

I'm pretty sure in the originals,even with save transfer of characters from game to game, you had to start over from scratch every time, weapon and equipment wise.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    OG ME3 ending was good and only misogynistic Clinton haters think otherwise. Feckwankers, to a man.
    Are there people who liked it? I thought it was fairly universally hated.
    Shame you can't do polls on here.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Didn’t hate it. Was a bit disappointed that’s all. But the great thing is I get to be disappointed all over again.
  • I wasn't overly fussed.
    I got enough out of the journey to not throw a fit over the ending.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Didn’t hate it. Was a bit disappointed that’s all. But the great thing is I get to be disappointed all over again.
    REMASTERED 4K DISAPPOINTMENT!!!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m generally quite forgiving of the end of most things as I think creatively it can be difficult to get a satisfying ending. Stephen King always springs to mind. The man can write a good yarn but he rarely has a good end to his books.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Do people have a favourite colour ending?

I imagine most people would say Red, but for me that's by far the least interesting.  Green (admittedly the most far fetched) has the most potential for interesting developments in the future.  I like a story which ends with the suggestion that everything will be different from then on.
  • Shep is indoctrinated. Blue is turning into Saren. Green is not much better. Red at least, feels like Shep is fighting back a bit.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Uh oh. I think I'm about to go a bit Tempy here. I think I prefer the look of the original.

They've bumped up everything in terms of textures, but then also seemingly changed the lighting to show it off. Looking at the original bits, there's some real darkness and shadow at points, likely to obfuscate some technical limitations. With bumping that up now, there's certainly a more "generic" look to this and I think I prefer the more stylized, almost comic book feel of the original.
  • I have literally just done a news story on this, ha. I mostly agree, but with the caveat that he news post says they went back to original concept art for environments and referenced them for the remaster. It's very interesting. I think the old high contrast look is instantly more appealing, but like you say, it's hiding deficiencies that no longer need to be hidden. Stuff like the snow storm bit is probably more realistic now, but doesn't look as moody any more. It's a hard act to balance.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    A couple of these really look less cool. You mentioned the snow storm, and yeah, I far prefer the stylised wilder nature of the original. The one that I think really detracts from the mood though is that comparison shot of Thane. Yep, his eyes now have that glassy lizardlike reflection, but compare that to the original where they're just black and I think that looks far more interesting.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Looks great to me.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The new lighting oddly seems to make it "flatter" to me.
  • Its definitely technically better and actually I think they have done themselves dirty in that video by showing og ME1 in a far better way than it looks on 360.

I understand what you are saying though reg. I wouldnt necessarily say flat but its not pushed as far into stylistics. I think you are right that in the original they were covering sins.

Mostly I just hope they fixed the rather odd shadow model used on characters orginally. It was like a very wooly, baked in model that at times looked like characters were covered in digital pubes.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    Looks great to me.

• Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I don't think the shadows are hiding anything, the opposite in fact.  I think the large contrast between light and shadow are exaggerating the flaws in the lighting engine, and the zombie-ness of the facial models.

It looks more natural now.  I prefer it.  It is less distinctive though.
  • Some games don't benefit from this treatment but all of that stuff looks better in the new version to me.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Its definitely technically better and actually I think they have done themselves dirty in that video by showing og ME1 in a far better way than it looks on 360.

Agree with this.  IMO ME1 graphics still hold up except for the spud like humans and the texture pop in.  I do look at that comparison video and shrug at a lot of it but the humans looks better, presumably there's no texture pop in and it should run at 60FPS, easily would take that over the original
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • SSD loading on consoles will be a huge plus as well.
    I played ME3 earlier in the year and jumping between floors on the Normandy is so much better.

Of course you don't need this trilogy set for that but it will be an improvement on how most will have played it before.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've only played the sequel and found it spacedbabylon5.gif, but reduced loadtimes could take hours off the campaign.
  • Nice little bundle of extras coming 30 May - particularly looking forward to the soundtracks.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-06-mass-effect-deluxe-edition-comics-art-books-soundtracks-made-free
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    For some reason EG couldn’t be arsed to link to the actual download.

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/mass-effect-bonus-content-download

• Must grab that later. I did listen to quite a bit of the youtube vid with the ost playing. Some brilliant choons in there. Im probably day one on this. sigh. Probably will do femshep this time, only played through once as blokeshep.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • So this is out in 2-days time and still no reviews? When does the embargo lift? I know people know what to expect from this remaster, but it would still be nice to have a clear heads up on just how much bang for your buck you're getting for this graphically speaking etc.

And what exactly do you get for a £60 pre-order in terms of bonuses anyone know?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • As far as I know, most people didn't have codes by the weekend, so don't expect many, if any reviews.
  • Pre ordered it for £53.99. Then saw I could claim £10 in rewards so would’ve been £43.99. Oh well.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep get 10% off with GP Ultimate.
  • Fuck me, the download size for consoles is 101 GB! (That includes the day one patch).

Does anyone know if you pre-order on PS4, does it allow you to start pre-loading the game now like Steam or is that just an Xbox feature, I can't really remember?
  • You can preload on PlayStation too, thankfully.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Oops, I seem to have accidentally preordered this.
    Get schwifty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!