PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Woah now. He wants to make iOS apps here.

To be fair that wasn't the only thing he asked about in his OP...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's true, I'm trying to get a feel for the field in general.

I should also say that this app idea I have is likely fairly complicated, so I'm not sure that launching straight into that will be the best move.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Having discussed it with you briefly, I'd definitely suggest giving "Hello World!" a punt first :-).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep.

Start simple.

No point wrestling with learning something new AND the complexity of what you have in mind.

Pick something mind-numbingly simple that won't challenge you as your first app.

Hello World is the first app - but that is usually about learning the edit/compile/build cycle and using the toolset more than anything else.

Even if it is something that lets you enter or select two numbers and display the sum of them - anything that takes some input, does a wee bit of processing and then gives feedback to the user will do.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Imma clone Threes!
  • Serious hat on, now. If you've not coded before, something like Codecademy (http://www.codecademy.com/en/tracks/javascript) might be the best place to start. Either that or Scratch.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've just had a thought. My app idea could actually be broken down into several discrete parts which, individually, probably wouldn't be all that difficult, then wrapped up together into a whole.

Hmm.
  • That's how it's meant to work, you're off to a good start.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have heard of Scratch. Supposed to the rather good.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye l. MIT thing. Drag n drop coding. It wasn't clear you could hook in external APIs when I last looked, but sure it would be good to understand the building blocks etc
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My prob is I'm old school. All I want is Notepad and a compiler with a CLI.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah you sound even more old school than me.

And I'm old school compared to all these youngsters we have at work.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:

No punchcards?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You laugh. They were around when I went to technical college in the mid-80s. They had a mini-computer called a PDP-8 which is a classic workhorse of the era (there are still PDP-8s running live code - they are bullet proof). Programs were written out on coding sheets and converted to decks of punched cards by typists before being fed into the machine. Never used them professionally though.

Banks have loads of code written way back. I have it on good authority some systems have core routines that still work in pre-decimal currency and there is code wrapped around it, written in the late 60s, that convert to and from decimal. There are millions of lines of undocumented legacy code out there written by people who are long dead.
  • It's true in the NHS as well. Early adopters of IT were healthcare providers and financial organisations. I've worked on a codebase written in the early 70s in MUMPS which you should look up if you're interested. It's nuts.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Eiffel or bust, f u h8rs
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Had an Eiffel compiler in university. A compilation of a Hello World program on a PC filled up its 40MB hard drive.

Ada was the business.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Ada was the business.

Why?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It was just really nice. Might not be that practical but as a language to study it was delightful. Like Pascal but with polish.

Think it was created by the French military so it must be of practical use.

I went to Queen's University Belfast and the lecturers had written their own Pascal compiler and called the language Pascal plus. It was a nice training language too and the compiler writing module I had to do was pretty good as it took you through its creation step by step, line by line and the text book was written by the lecturer - a guy called John Elder.
  • I learnt programming several times, i think i'd say get a feel for what you like and put some good time in, im obviously a big Unity 3D evangelist so C# is fully my bag - can use it for iOs etc via Mono although Unity's Mono needs a serious update

Non games style, Escape's video made a nice point - you can code javascript just about anywhere, theres always something that will run it, and fuckton of examples of how to use it everywhere, i enjoyed my time with it flirting with webgl a couple of years ago
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know none of you guys have hands on experience with it, but what are your initial impressions of Swift?

https://developer.apple.com/swift/
  • davyK wrote:

Hah, reminds me of uni days when that's all we had. Can't remember the name of the software (free) we all were using for our Java or whatever code, but it's been mentioned on the forum before. Sure I'll know the name when I see it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I know none of you guys have hands on experience with it, but what are your initial impressions of Swift? https://developer.apple.com/swift/

It's a good language with some interesting features, but fuck learning a 'tie-in' language. You'd be better off learning one of the new Java based languages... Or Python, upon which Swift borrows an awful lot.

@Elf

Wot? Netbeans, or Eclipse?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am leaning towards learning to develop apps ATM. I have this one app idea already, and me and my brother have been kicking around an idea for a game which has potential and could work quite nicely on iOS. He's an animator, I also like to dabble in music, if I learn to code then we do have all of the bases covered in regards to putting a game together. The only issue for me with attempting to learn Swift at the moment is that there's very little in the way of resources available for it. Or very little for a complete noob at least. I'm considering getting my feet wet with some web-based stuff to start with and waiting for more details to come along.

Or maybe I start with Python and use that as a way to learn Swift?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm more generally thinking that if I do want to try to do build apps, Swift may be the easiest way into it.
  • If you learn to program one language, it's much, much easier to pick up another. It's more about concepts than the actual syntax and vocabulary. For example, I've never really used them but threw together simplistic Java and Objective C apps within an hour when I had a go. Seriously, if you've not coded before, JavaScript (for all its faults) is a really good place to start since there's so many resources, every device can already run it and you can type stuff directly into the browser's console to try, as well as the interactive sites I've mentioned. As a bonus, you can put together apps that seem almost native for iOS.
  • Hell, as well as being able to set up web apps to appear native on iOS, there's things that let you code in JavaScript and convert it to native apps for the major platforms (up to a certain level of complexity, anyway).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JavaScript's one of the three major languages for building websites (along with HTML and CSS) right? Or am I confusing it with Java?

The ability to build a web page would be a useful skill.
  • Yeah, that's right. Well, client side, anyway. Technically, HTML and CSS aren't languages but simply markup, so they should be much quicker to learn the basics.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Client side being front facing? As in, what I see when I visit a website as opposed to the back end stuff?

And what's the difference between a language and a markup?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!