Coders, some advice plox.
  • Wait, operands are the fucking numbers/variables. Me and Yoss were right before.
  • Yes operands are the fucking numbers. I was just being a funny twat by insisting you refer to them as operands rather than numbers. Although operands is the correct term, if you're just referring to numbers, then there's really no issue in just calling them numbers. 

I really thought everyone would know what an operand was.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have no idea what anything's called anymore.

It's worth bearing in mind, with me trying my hand at coding and all, that I haven't used my maths skills for anything more complicated than working out percentages since I was at secondary school.
  • Using maths I actually a really advanced programming skill, you won't be needing it for years if ever.

Also, me am confused easily with clever terms. Let's stick to numbers and plus signs.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not too concerned about the maths stuff, I was pretty good at it in school (took my GCSE two years early, got a C), I just can't for the life of me remember any of it, especially not the terms for things.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've been programming for yonks, and the only times I've used maths are for fun, for 3d games shizzle, and for gambling algorithms. Avoid those and you'll be fine.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ps good niggle on the operand stuff, thought you were correcting yyoss on the bit he wad uncertain of, not the normal English bit ;-)
  • fienaly! pplz can tork programmingz liek ekwal
  • Sorry to pour any dourness on things but learning to code is fine and dandy. Getting a job out of it though is much tougher. Now things may be different in the UK but in Ireland I've found it virtually impossible to even get an interview for a junior dev position. I have a Bsc degree in computer science that centred around software engineering(admittedly qualified 10 years ago now) and more recently did the first year of a masters in the same area.(Plus I have a B in higher level maths and an A in higher level physics) Plus I've written and released some android apps that have netted around 10k downloads. Been applying for junior dev jobs for the past year and nothing. Not even an interview. ( I dont think the CV is a problem, been called to interview from different areas). From what I've been seeing is the companies over here are actively just looking for fresh graduates or recent grads with experience. But the common thread is a degree qualification is needed.....
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBH, the more I'm thinking about this, the more I'm feeling like my goal isn't to be employed, but rather to get myself into a position where I can work for myself.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    TBH, the more I'm thinking about this, the more I'm feeling like my goal isn't to be employed, but rather to get myself into a position where I can work for myself.
    Good move I want the same thing myself :D .....I wasn't trying to dissuade you btw, just thinking that a qualification would be a necessity. 
    Any particular area you fancy getting your teeth into?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    App development seems to be what's appealing to me. If I do learn to code, then me and my brother have all the necessary skills to start an indie games company.
  • It's a piece of piss to get employed as a coder in England (well, if you're any cop at it, anyway). Making a living doing it for yourself if fucking tough, though.

Learn it as a hobby. If anything else comes from it, wicked, but don't expect it to.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Sorry to pour any dourness on things but learning to code is fine and dandy. Getting a job out of it though is much tougher. Now things may be different in the UK but in Ireland I've found it virtually impossible to even get an interview for a junior dev position. I have a Bsc degree in computer science that centred around software engineering(admittedly qualified 10 years ago now) and more recently did the first year of a masters in the same area.(Plus I have a B in higher level maths and an A in higher level physics) Plus I've written and released some android apps that have netted around 10k downloads. Been applying for junior dev jobs for the past year and nothing. Not even an interview. ( I dont think the CV is a problem, been called to interview from different areas). From what I've been seeing is the companies over here are actively just looking for fresh graduates or recent grads with experience. But the common thread is a degree qualification is needed.....

You're an unusual case though Ninj... 

I do suspect your problem comes more down to your location than ability/suitability. You should try to apply for a job in London and see how far you get. Even if you can't physically make the interview, you can at least take that experience back to the places that are practical for you, and see what happens

Despite what AJ says, I think that getting a job as a coder is more difficult than he suggests. At least for the places I've interviewed for... I mean the larger enterprises will generally test you on the spot these days, and far fewer pass those spot assignments than who actually get invited along for an interview in the first place (and there's always at least two interviews).

And I've been privileged enough to see how good senior coders grade prospective applicants. I can only hope to be as thorough and as flexible as them if I'm ever in their shoes. This is all my experience, though I suspect that Ace will back me up on some of this stuff, because we did discuss it once briefly. His place also sounds quite flexible, but also rather stringent, if that makes sense.

Where I agree with AJ, is in how tough freelancing is, because if it was straightforward to do, I'd do it, because I suspect I'd be much happier working for myself. But freelancing in any field is just as stressful as working for a single employer...

What I'd ideally like to do is either conceive of an enterprise I can enjoy working on, and make it turn a profit, or get to call the technical (and/or creative) shots on an enterprise that someone else has conceived of, and I can enjoy working on (as a CTO).

But fuck...

If I'm doing any form of work and it's challenging and engaging enough, and I can make a living out of it, then I am very grateful.

This rant should probably be in the work thread.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • You don't want to work for the large places unless they're doing an incredibly interesting project, they're too formal (some of them even make you wear a shirt*) it's all about small places.

To be honest, I only have any knowledge about the web developer job landscape, but I'm told people are desperate for decent programmers and I'm always getting agencies emailing/calling me. I practically walked into my current position.

Also, I wasn't talking about freelancing when I said working for yourself is hard. Freelancing is easy, so long as you're prepared to do the finding more jobs thing when nobody you know needs you. What I was saying is hard is making a loving from your own projects.

The main point I was getting at, though, is that I reckon coding is too creative to be something you learn with the sole intention of making a living from it. You should learn it because it interests you and then you can think about taking it up professionally if clicks and you enjoy it or you're good at it, most preferably both.

* I have no problems with shirts, and even own/wear some, I just don't think your employer should be able to tell you what to wear unless you're representing them to the public (and then the good ones still don't [need to]).
  • I endorse each and every sentence of the above post.

You need to know what you're doing, and live where there's a lot of jobs, but coding is a very easy profession to get into. The hard bit is getting good at it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm arguing that landing any technical role is tough, and that the barrier to the job market is getting higher these days, not lower. 

Yes, if you the have experience, ability and a good record, you will find more opportunities. That's a universal fact in all career paths, but you both failed to make this clear. And even after that, I will still argue that getting a technology job is hard, and that having the experience/skills/gumption will still not guarantee you a job*...

Like I've mentioned, I've been lucky enough to have a few good senior developers show me how they narrow down candidates. In one case where there were 9/10 interviewees, no more than 3 of them, as I remembered the spreadsheet, gave a satisfactory answer to the initial spot test, and in that subgroup, only 2 of them had been exposed to the type of environment that they had applied to work in. If your experience is different, then great... Who wouldn't want to be in that position, but for the people I've worked with, the experience has been pretty similar. Which is why I'm keen to make the point. 

Again, the only part where we do agree, is if you have a relevant record and experience, then you'll find it easier to get invited in for interviews...

monkey wrote:
    coding is a very easy profession to get into... The hard bit is getting good at it.

architectural engineering/medicine/race driving is a very easy profession to get into... The hard bit is getting good at it.

Come on...

I think Ninj' has been unlucky till now, and should be able to find a role no matter where he is... But what do I know?
  • I'd argue that getting a technology job is only hard if you're not naturally a technology person. It's a somewhat elitist field and we recognise each other relatively easily. I believe most professions are the same. It'd be nice if the world didn't work like that, but it does.

I'd be interested to know what that initial spot test was.

Yes, if you the have experience, ability and a good record, you will find more opportunities. [...] but you both failed to make this clear.

Perhaps because...
    That's a universal fact in all career paths
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Yes, if you the have experience, ability and a good record, you will find more opportunities. [...] but you both failed to make this clear.
    Perhaps because...
    That's a universal fact in all career paths
    but you both failed to make this clear.

Which is why I...

coding is a very easy profession to get into... The hard bit is getting good at it.

architectural engineering/medicine/race driving is a very easy profession to get into... The hard bit is getting good at it.

Come on...

Anyway...

AJ wrote:
    I'd be interested to know what that initial spot test was.

You sound like you've had plenty of tech job offers... Have you not come across this practice? It pretty memorable, it usually takes up the best part of a such an interview.
  • I have, but they've always been piss easy - the toughest was "make Pong". Although it hasn't taken up the best part of any of the interviews; that's always been a chat to the CEO/ lead engineer/ whatever. Hell, most of them just ask for it to be emailed to them before the interview.

I'm wondering whether it was particularly tough (and what it was, if so, out of pure curiosity) or if there were just a lot of people applying for the job that didn't know what they were doing (a problem with a lot of the world 'cause of this "you can be anything you want to be" bollocks we give to kids - genetics exist and how you're brought up in your early years affects you a lot, too; it's stupid to pretend otherwise).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I have, but they've always been piss easy.

And I finish there.
  • I think he was being nice

Anyways if you want to make a bunch of money in the games industry as a small team/group, learn c#, glsl/hlsl (its like c but tells your video card what to do) and directcompute (and eventually opencl), find a fancy shader effect or coveted buzzword-fancy-effect, implement it in Unity and package it slickly for the asset store. Money everywhere if you know how to avoid common pitfalls, which i do. Its definitely about packaging and support thar
  • but you both failed to make this clear.
    Because it's completely unnecessary to do so.

Come on...
    The statement I made doesn't apply to those fields. Maybe architectural engineering, I don't know enough about it. Medicine is hard to get good at, then relatively easy to find work in, but incredibly hard on a day to day basis. Race driving is extremely hard to get good at, extremely hard to find work in and extremely hard to stay in. So the point you're trying to make, that my statement was so broad as to be applicable to anything, is incorrect.

Anyways, coding know how puts you in a high demand, low supply workforce which is generally a beneficial place to be.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I've been programming for yonks, and the only times I've used maths are for fun, for 3d games shizzle, and for gambling algorithms. Avoid those and you'll be fine.

I suggested calculus as a solution to a problem at work today. I feel very proud.
  • Bravo! I don't even know what calculus means.
  • I know the word comes from Latin or Greek and refers to the stones they used to use for counting. Other than that, I've got nothing.
  • If you live in or near London, and cannot get a job in either front end or back end development, you're doing it wrong.
  • I got kind of told off for not knowing the SQL explain command today.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm having to actually write python, as opposed to C. I miss you, curly brackets.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!