Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • From IMDb, looks like he was producer on a few of his films, and even wrote the screenplay for 127 hours.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Then he probably has a lot more sway than many other people, but age of the auteur def at an end, even with mid budget films (especially when financing coming in from 5+ sources at points)
  • Dunno about that, especially with films like Locke and Under the Skin. Then again, I know nowt about how either of them get made, but it seems like low budget film making and distribute is more accessible than ever.
  • If we include those parts, yes, he picks good scripts to work on and actors to take part. It's when it comes to putting it all together I find him generally a bit more workmanlike, which is a shame given how inventive and visually arresting Trainspotting and (to a lesser extent) Shallow Grave were.

I've been thinking more about T2 as I took the fog out for a walk and listened to Danny Boyle on the Kermode & Mayo podcast. Rather tellingly he said, "There isn't much of a plot because there isn't in these kind of films." That was fair enough in the original; the original novel (as I remember it) is a series of disjointed, disparate stories; episodes in these characters' lives which gradually begin to find cohesion and form into a narrative whole. The original film was similar; we were seeing snippets of lives that spent the first half of the film setting the scene and didn't settle into a story until late on.

The thing is, in the absence of a plot, this film lacks the ingredients of the first. And it's not that it lacks a plot, but just that it doesn't really get to grips with it until too late. while the first film was a largely sanitised, music video vision of heroin addiction, it went someway to showing us what an unpleasant life that is. In this film, Spud's continued grappling with addiction is washed over and largely ignored for convenience. There is a sequence which begins to address it, but it lacks any of the visceral energy or considered imagery of Renton's bedroom sequence in the original.

I don't think the lack of plot is as excusable here as it can be elsewhere.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Dunno about that, especially with films like Locke and Under the Skin. Then again, I know nowt about how either of them get made, but it seems like low budget film making and distribute is more accessible than ever.

Those are both micro budget films, not quite the 30-40 mill cases that would be considered mid-budget, but I appreciate the point that someone with a clear vision can def still get their shit made.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rogue One has now become the second highest grossing film release of 2016 (just behind Cap Am 3) and Disney's 2016 profits are record breaking wild. I believe 5/5 of the top grossing films of 2016 are theirs - cap am, rogue One, dory, zootopia, jungle book.

Also Resident Evil made $13 mill on its $45 mill budget in the states, but like $60+ million worldwide. I need to incvestigate the country breakdown to see who keeps this series and things like Underworld profitable, but a hunch tells me continental Europe.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    RE Resi - seems it got a head start in Japan (came out at Xmas) and made $33 million there...
  • I always end up watching the Resi films. I dont pay of course, will wait for Netflix or TV.
    They are a special level of shit that makes them hilarious . Must be watched with beer and at least one other person though.
  • Underworld has made nearly it's budget back in the US alone, and it's over half the gross.
  • I disagree with Kermode about as much as I agree with him, but I'm fully with him on this one.

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Just been watching Trainspotting since I won't get chance to see T2 for a good while.  It's a far more difficult watch now I've got a wee one! Nearly balled when the baby died :(
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • watched sing this weekend, its ok but not as funny as the trailer makes out it would be
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Given that the trailer made it look utterly awful that's not surprising.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Song has done $450 million already so expect sing 2.

Sony Is a little fucked tho. Movie division posted a $1billion loss. Bear in mind this is tied up with home filmstuff too.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/sony-announces-near-1-billion-write-down/
  • Sing 2 was announced last week. Along with Minions 2 and Secret Life of Pets 2.
  • I saw Split this afternoon. Enjoyable tosh. The very, very end was not something I was expecting.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    Sing 2 was announced last week. Along with Minions 2 and Secret Life of Pets 2.

All of which will likely break 1$billion
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The shitter Affleck has stepped down from directing Reboot #58

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/
    Ben Affleck has decided to step down as director of “The Batman” and remain on as a producer and star of the project.

Affleck is still on board to play the superhero, but sources close to the talent said Affleck and Warner Bros. discussed how to make the best film possible and this was the decision both parties came to.

“There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions,” Affleck said in a statement. “Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world.
  • DC board member "Well, we could always put Snyder on the project"
    People_are_being_mean_by_making_mashups_of_sad_Ben_Affleck_s_reaction_to_Batman_v_Superman_reviews.jpg
  • A shame, his films are always interesting if nothing else, and it was the main reason I was looking forward to The Batman.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Given that the trailer made it look utterly awful that's not surprising.

The trailers I saw looked like it showed the entire storyline of the film, and I imagine all the funny bits too.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I actually watched Argo last night. It was quite good, but if that's what won the best picture Oscar then it must have been a slow year in Hollywood. Fairly pedestrian thriller that plays incredibly fast and loose with the facts of the story it's based on. It did tension quite well, but there's really nothing else to it other than that.

not bad, but hardly essential

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I saw Split too Andy, last night. I actually quite enjoyed it, far more than I thought I was going to. McAvoy was excellent I thought, as was the main girl. Quite a tight story and the running time went by fast.

As it's Shyamalan I have to admit I was coming up with theories and guesses in my head right from the start...
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Oh also, don't google Split unless you want a massive fucking spoiler for the end of the film. Fucking internet, jesus.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Oh also, don't google Split unless you want a massive fucking spoiler for the end of the film. Fucking internet, jesus.

I was stood in line at the garage last night, and the woman in the queue before me described the entire bloody film to her boyfriend.  Including the ending, which she didn't actually understand but said enough about it that I did.

(I was going to end this with the line "Fucking random people in garages, jesus" but realised it was somewhat open to misinterpretation.)
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I actually watched Argo last night. It was quite good, but if that's what won the best picture Oscar then it must have been a slow year in Hollywood. Fairly pedestrian thriller that plays incredibly fast and loose with the facts of the story it's based on. It did tension quite well, but there's really nothing else to it other than that. not bad, but hardly essential g.man

Academy, innit. There's been plenty of unworthy winners of best picture over the years. I recall there was a rash in the late 90s and 00s - Shakespeare in Love, Chicago and Crash all come to mind.

Shakespeare in Love winning was particularly egregious. I think Judi Dench won an Oscar for that having been in it for all of 5 minutes.
  • Chicago is gr8 m8
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    It's no Bugsy Malone.
  • That is also true
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I seem to remember some political/war shit going on at the time Chicago won. They wanted some light non-confrontational thing to win.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!