Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Tempy wrote:
    I was fairly underwhelmed by Heat's shootout when I watched. it's really fucking loud, but that's about it. Only film I ever got asked to turn down when I was staying at my parents.

Did you see it at the cinema or on tv?

Lego batman movie

It's no Lego Movie unfortunately. Kind of laboured the friendship message to the detriment of the batman bit

Seven mashed up Lego bad guys out of 10.

The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I was fairly underwhelmed by Heat's shootout when I watched. it's really fucking loud, but that's about it. Only film I ever got asked to turn down when I was staying at my parents.
    Did you see it at the cinema or on tv?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Matt Reeves is locked in for the Batman movie. That movie is beginning to sound more and more problematic behind the scenes, and I wonder if it's gonna suffer the same fate all other DC films have done so far.
  • Errrrrrr.
    Are you seriously questioning a man who wrote Under Siege 2?

A man who wrote
    Everything fell out my pocket man, the only thing I got in my pocket....is your ass!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just bin Batman for ten years at least, how people ain't tired of Batman/Spiderman reboots, fuck knows.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just bin Batman for ten years at least, how people ain't tired of Batman/Spiderman reboots, fuck knows.

I'd still rather someone reboot superman but batman needs to absolutely sit doon.
  • They still think this stuff will take off?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Go to bed
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    all other DC films.
    Is the Dark Knight trilogy not included in this?
  • Just bin Batman for ten years at least, how people ain't tired of Batman/Spiderman reboots, fuck knows.
    As much as I love Batman (a LOT), I have to agree. I haven't even bothered with BatSoup yet, there was no need to bring him back so soon after Nolans trilogy.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • They own the rights and see Disney/Marvel practically printing money from less well known comics. No business could stop themselves.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    all other DC films.

No, I meant DC as a film production company. As Marvel are now.
  • I_R wrote:
    They own the rights and see Disney/Marvel practically printing money from less well known comics. No business could stop themselves.
    I meant no creative reason!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I feel like the DC films have been in the wrong order.

Superman going first is fine.
    Second Suicide Squad, with the Batman bits, teasing Batfleck.
    Third should have been Batman movie.
    Fourth Batsoup.
    Fifth Wonder Woman.
    Then Justice League.

At some point they needed to show who the Flash is as well because I know who he is and was totally confused with the errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

I cant be bothered, I had a point to make but they are all so bad it doesn't matter.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    They own the rights and see Disney/Marvel practically printing money from less well known comics. No business could stop themselves.
    I meant no creative reason!

If someone wanted to do a Damian Wayne movie I'd be interested. But that Crime Alley pish needs to be everywhere.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    all other DC films.
    I thought they did produce the DK trilogy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Comics#DC_Films

Pre-extended universe, but DC productions, no?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I feel like the DC films have been in the wrong order.

Superman going first is fine.
    Second Suicide Squad, with the Batman bits, teasing Batfleck.
    Third should have been Batman movie.
    Fourth Batsoup.
    Fifth Wonder Woman.
    Then Justice League.

At some point they needed to show who the Flash is as well because I know who he is and was totally confused with the errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...............

I cant be bothered, I had a point to make but they are all so bad it doesn't matter.

The problem has been the rush to get to the good stuff. Marvel gave themselves 4 years build up to the first avengers movie, and barring a stumble with Hulk, other characters had time to breathe and develop. Affleck's Batman got introduced amongst a messy Superman who needed another movie on his own to figure out what his actual angle was. Now they're just gunning for the Justice League/Avengers 2.0 angle
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    all other DC films.
    I thought they did produce the DK trilogy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Comics#DC_Films

Pre-extended universe, but DC productions, no?

That's a new one to me- genuinely thought they just leant their credits to the title. Consider me corrected. But aye, the Dark knight films have the luxury of sitting in a bubble before the massive push for EU stuff. If you read about TDKR though there was influence from studios to start seeping in new Heroes, and Nolan really but back against it.
  • Oddly, I really liked Hulk and he isn't normally a character I care for. Norton Hulk wouldn't have worked in The Avengers though.
  • Looking at it as someone who doesn't really know either sets of comics (Superman, Turtles and Robocop Vs Terminator were the only comics I read as a kid, and I rarely bothered with the Justice League section that eventually appeared in Supes), there seems to be a touch of "how am I supposed to work with this?" to some of the lesser known DC characters.  Fair play to Marvel for getting stuff like Ant Man (who?), Dr. Strange (who?) and The Guardians of the Galaxy (who?) to work, but the bit in Batman Vs Superman where you see some of the other characters in brief CCTV footage smacked of 'you have 15 seconds to design a superhero'.  Aquaman with his trident, Jesus Christ.  Disney/Marvel are spinning plates and making it look easy because they've mastered the knockabout thing.  Deadpool was plenty of fun but those villains weren't fit to shine Gene Hackman's shoes, yet it didn't seem to matter all that much.  The DC universe seems a bit gloomier, which is fine for Gotham at night but doesn't appear to suit a melting pot of men in tights.
  • Genuine question.

Is Batman dragging them down?

To expand. Batman has generally worked best when a bit gritty. The Burton films are about as light in tone as has been deemed critically successful in modern day media, generally the darker Bats goes the more he is appreciated.
    I realise Superman has had some darker storylines but overall he is generally considered a lighter hero. A symbol of hope clad in primary blue, red and yellow. The Flash is a wise-cracker. Wonder Woman, again clad in primary is a leader and a symbol of powerful women. All the other DC characters I know of appear to lean towards the lighter side of comic books. 
    Yet the big issue is Batman is the one that has performed well on screen (even the shite like Batman and Robin near doubled it's budget in takings), Superman on the other hand has had very mixed earnings.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Deadpool was Fox.
  • I'm not going to watch Logan but I did enjoy this bit of PR:

• Genuine question. Is Batman dragging them down? To expand. Batman has generally worked best when a bit gritty. The Burton films are about as light in tone as has been deemed critically successful in modern day media, generally the darker Bats goes the more he is appreciated. I realise Superman has had some darker storylines but overall he is generally considered a lighter hero. A symbol of hope clad in primary blue, red and yellow. The Flash is a wise-cracker. Wonder Woman, again clad in primary is a leader and a symbol of powerful women. All the other DC characters I know of appear to lean towards the lighter side of comic books.  Yet the big issue is Batman is the one that has performed well on screen (even the shite like Batman and Robin near doubled it's budget in takings), Superman on the other hand has had very mixed earnings.
    I think that tone is only part of it. There's also expectation, all those guys who vote the Nolan films as the greatest in the history of cinema were never going to be happy with the spread of average to bad DC films that have been made since. I don't know that Thor is much better, but fans care a lot less. I suspect one of the reasons that Suicide Squad is so bad is because the suits are now panicked and have lost confidence in their creative people.
  • Oh yeah, for sure. 
    The tent pole Marvel movies have carried the lesser ones (I thought Thor and Thor 2 were utter shite, certainly worse than Superman).
    Superman didnt quite do it so the suits got in the meeting room, when that stank they started hosting the meetings.

My hope with Batman was that Affleck was still looked on favourably, he has critically acclaimed history. Now he isn't directing, I would hope he still has enough influence to steer the film right.
  • John Wick 2.

Can't believe that the original was written with a sequel in mind but It expands The universe and story nicely, presumably setting up a third nicely,

On a side note what would a modern action movie have to do to get an 18 certificate these days?
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!