• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    John Wick 2. Can't believe that the original was written with a sequel in mind but It expands The universe and story nicely, presumably setting up a third nicely, On a side note what would a modern action movie have to do to get an 18 certificate these days?
    Show tits.
  • Dredd was 18 I think, but it doesn't stick out as being 18 the way something like Total Recall does.
  • Oh yeah, for sure. 
    The tent pole Marvel movies have carried the lesser ones (I thought Thor and Thor 2 were utter shite, certainly worse than Superman).
    Superman didnt quite do it so the suits got in the meeting room, when that stank they started hosting the meetings.

My hope with Batman was that Affleck was still looked on favourably, he has critically acclaimed history. Now he isn't directing, I would hope he still has enough influence to steer the film right.
    There have been a lot of heavy rumours in the last few weeks that Affleck wants out of his contract completely and doesn't want to even play Batman let alone direct.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I_R wrote:
    Dredd was 18 I think, but it doesn't stick out as being 18 the way something like Total Recall does.
    Dredd had the drug angle and the slow mo,
    The Forum Herald™
  • g.man wrote:
    Oh yeah, for sure.  The tent pole Marvel movies have carried the lesser ones (I thought Thor and Thor 2 were utter shite, certainly worse than Superman). Superman didnt quite do it so the suits got in the meeting room, when that stank they started hosting the meetings. My hope with Batman was that Affleck was still looked on favourably, he has critically acclaimed history. Now he isn't directing, I would hope he still has enough influence to steer the film right.
    There have been a lot of heavy rumours in the last few weeks that Affleck wants out of his contract completely and doesn't want to even play Batman let alone direct.
    lol. what a mess.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    John Wick 2. Can't believe that the original was written with a sequel in mind but It expands The universe and story nicely, presumably setting up a third nicely, On a side note what would a modern action movie have to do to get an 18 certificate these days?
    Show tits.

Drug use. That'll nearly always get you an '18'.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • g.man wrote:
    Oh yeah, for sure.  The tent pole Marvel movies have carried the lesser ones (I thought Thor and Thor 2 were utter shite, certainly worse than Superman). Superman didnt quite do it so the suits got in the meeting room, when that stank they started hosting the meetings. My hope with Batman was that Affleck was still looked on favourably, he has critically acclaimed history. Now he isn't directing, I would hope he still has enough influence to steer the film right.

*sad affleck.gif*
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Show tits.

Drug use. That'll nearly always get you an '18'.

The kicker nowadays is sexualised violence - drug use isn't so much the bete noir it once was. Useful to look at BBFC public survey responses - think the last one was 2015.
    It's why A Cure for Wellness is an 18.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In other news the guy who directed Lego Batman is now going to do a Live action Nightwing movie.

Fucking Nightwing. No one likes Nightwing.
  • Genuine question. 

Is Batman dragging them down? 

To expand. Batman has generally worked best when a bit gritty. The Burton films are about as light in tone as has been deemed critically successful in modern day media, generally the darker Bats goes the more he is appreciated. I realise Superman has had some darker storylines but overall he is generally considered a lighter hero. A symbol of hope clad in primary blue, red and yellow. The Flash is a wise-cracker. Wonder Woman, again clad in primary is a leader and a symbol of powerful women. All the other DC characters I know of appear to lean towards the lighter side of comic books.  Yet the big issue is Batman is the one that has performed well on screen (even the shite like Batman and Robin near doubled it's budget in takings), Superman on the other hand has had very mixed earnings.

I don't think it's true that Batman is better the darker it goes. The character we've seen on screen has largely taken cues from Frank Millers take on the character, even the Burton ones.

Batman pre-1986 (AKA most of the stories) would fit perfectly fine with the others.
  • I think the problem is that, by a country mile, Batman is the best character DC have developed. The rest are also-rans and even Supes is pretty boring really. Just a big, blue boy scout.

There's also the fact that Nolan managed to not only create the best superhero trilogy ever made, but to create critically and commercially acclaimed films using DC's sulking poster-boy. Don't forget, the Dark Knight trilogy is one of the most successful franchises ever. Not an easy act to follow, and I think they're still wallowing in "how the hell do we follow that" syndrome.

Marvel have managed to make some of their also-rans interesting. Although you could argue that even a weak character in the Marvel universe is better than many A-listers in DC. Marvel have also managed to develop a (relatively) consistent tone across the MCU. DC's offerings have been all over the place.

I'm not a big fan of superhero movies in general, this is just what I've noticed personally. So I'm probably completely wrong and someone with more knowledge will now proceed to explain why...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • There is a bit more freshness about the Marvel stable, but if you can get people to go and see Thor and Guardians Of The Galaxy, you should be able to do the same for The Flash and Aquaman. It's not easy in the way that the flood of Young Adult adaptions were after the success of Twilight though, just spending money on actors and directors doesn't seem to work.
  • The DC films lack humour and charm.
  • Batman can do one. You can bet he'd be a groinergrundler
  • regmcfly wrote:
    In other news the guy who directed Lego Batman is now going to do a Live action Nightwing movie. Fucking Nightwing. No one likes Nightwing.

I like Nightwing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Didn't Christian Bale say they never even asked him about playing Batman in the DCU? It would've been cool if they'd kept it tied into that lot - Bats is *spoilers for end of Dark Knight triology* 

on hols in France or whereever after being declared dead but because Superman arrives he decides to return to have a good old conversation with him. Meanwhile, you can also use that to flesh out Suicide Squad movie as you've got a backdrop of all the shit that's gone down in Gotham and the supervillans that have been on display there. Also means you don't get that fucked up Joker from SSquad....
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • DC have also interfered way too much in their movies. They should've decided to either set up a movie house and work out their long term plan, scripts, plot points etc from the off, OR just let the movie makers get on with it. Demanding reshoots and rewrites has done them no favours at all. It feels like they are winging it all and don't have a clue.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Jaco wrote:
    I think the problem is that, by a country mile, Batman is the best character DC have developed. The rest are also-rans and even Supes is pretty boring really. Just a big, blue boy scout. There's also the fact that Nolan managed to not only create the best superhero trilogy ever made, but to create critically and commercially acclaimed films using DC's sulking poster-boy. Don't forget, the Dark Knight trilogy is one of the most successful franchises ever. Not an easy act to follow, and I think they're still wallowing in "how the hell do we follow that" syndrome. Marvel have managed to make some of their also-rans interesting. Although you could argue that even a weak character in the Marvel universe is better than many A-listers in DC. Marvel have also managed to develop a (relatively) consistent tone across the MCU. DC's offerings have been all over the place. I'm not a big fan of superhero movies in general, this is just what I've noticed personally. So I'm probably completely wrong and someone with more knowledge will now proceed to explain why...
    Reg (I think) has said something along these lines before, but there's no reason Supes needs to be dull. There's no other character in comics that you can use to tell such epic stories about good and evil. He's not that interesting in himself but what you do with him can be. He won't break, he won't stop and he can't be beaten ever, no matter how much you throw at him, how bad things get or however you test him, he can go anywhere in the universe and do anything. If a writer can't tell a compelling story with that, it's their fault. Supe's problem is just that DC don't know what they're doing with any of their films. 

The lesson they should have learned from Nolan is that their properties are better taken on their own course by auteur directors. They could have been the anti-Marvel. An antidote to the anodyne continually regurgitated plots that are both brain-numbingly simplistic, yet due to the crossovers between films, baffling and hard to follow. Instead, they just looked at the Marvel money, looked at Nolan's Batman money, and said 'what if all our other characters were Batman as well?'
  • They are making a mess but because they are catching up with marvel.

The fact is marvel have done a fabulous job. They did it slowly and organically and perhaps most illustrative without their gun duo of the x men and spider man franchises.

Anyone who says iron man is hindsighting the fuck of the situation. For my generation the iconic cartoons were x men and Spider-Man and perhaps fantastic four. Everything else was a z tier ignore a thon.

Warner DC have seen the bucks and want to go straight to jackpot without putting the work in. Also their slavish loyalty to Zack Snyder is beyond the pale.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Get Out has 100% on RT. Which means it'll be a solid [6].
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    I think the problem is that, by a country mile, Batman is the best character DC have developed. The rest are also-rans and even Supes is pretty boring really. Just a big, blue boy scout. There's also the fact that Nolan managed to not only create the best superhero trilogy ever made, but to create critically and commercially acclaimed films using DC's sulking poster-boy. Don't forget, the Dark Knight trilogy is one of the most successful franchises ever. Not an easy act to follow, and I think they're still wallowing in "how the hell do we follow that" syndrome. Marvel have managed to make some of their also-rans interesting. Although you could argue that even a weak character in the Marvel universe is better than many A-listers in DC. Marvel have also managed to develop a (relatively) consistent tone across the MCU. DC's offerings have been all over the place. I'm not a big fan of superhero movies in general, this is just what I've noticed personally. So I'm probably completely wrong and someone with more knowledge will now proceed to explain why...
    Reg (I think) has said something along these lines before, but there's no reason Supes needs to be dull. There's no other character in comics that you can use to tell such epic stories about good and evil. He's not that interesting in himself but what you do with him can be. He won't break, he won't stop and he can't be beaten ever, no matter how much you throw at him, how bad things get or however you test him, he can go anywhere in the universe and do anything. If a writer can't tell a compelling story with that, it's their fault. Supe's problem is just that DC don't know what they're doing with any of their films. 

The lesson they should have learned from Nolan is that their properties are better taken on their own course by auteur directors. They could have been the anti-Marvel. An antidote to the anodyne continually regurgitated plots that are both brain-numbingly simplistic, yet due to the crossovers between films, baffling and hard to follow. Instead, they just looked at the Marvel money, looked at Nolan's Batman money, and said 'what if all our other characters were Batman as well?'

Many thank yous, Monkey. I just checked here during lunch break, and after reading Jaco's post I was flaring up ready to argue those points again. You've done it for me.

Also superman is the best ever. Insert all star superman smug face.
  • Get Out has 100% on RT. Which means it'll be a solid [6].

RT is misleading though, a 6 would still be a tomato by their metric. How many of those reviews are just 3 star?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Dunno, I'm not going through 100 of 'em.
  • There's a way of seeing, might just be on mobile. I noticed it when looking at The Wailing.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Get Out has 100% on RT. Which means it'll be a solid [6].
    RT is misleading though, a 6 would still be a tomato by their metric. How many of those reviews are just 3 star?

Average rating's 8.2/10 if that helps.
  • Anyone who says iron man is hindsighting the fuck of the situation. For my generation the iconic cartoons were x men and Spider-Man and perhaps fantastic four. Everything else was a z tier ignore a thon.

Iron Man was one of their bigger characters outside Spider-Man and X-Men. Stark is central to the Civil War storyline. 

Also, Hulk has been a big part of popular culture for decades. Hulk Hogan was named after the Incredible Hulk after appearing on a talk show with Lou Ferrigno for example.
  • Superman is shit. Almost all superhero stuff is shit. Bloody nerds.

X-Men are great though. Yay for X-Men! Probably down to the cartoon.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!