Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I watched Dunkirk.

If you have a proper IMAX nearby I strongly suggest seeing it there. So much of it filmed in the 1570 format it makes you wonder why there's any bits that weren't. Bizarre.
    As a movie, I'm not sure really. It starts quite strong but straight away the lack of blood I found to be quite jarring. It seems to be trying to be a realistic portrayal of what happened but then non-violent violence betrays that.
    Spoiler:

Ultimately it's okay. It just lost me by the end. Not sure if it was our screening and the film reels but there was some disjointed colour correction between cuts at points too.

I look for to checking out the Making Of stuff though as I imagine there's a lot of real stuff in there.

Still, doesn't really come close to challenging his other movies with The Prestige being the only one I want to watch again every now and then with Interstellar being second with some quality powerful moments. Then I guess Batman or whatever.

I'm just gonna put this here again too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    There are some friends on here I am so close to giving up on. Raiz be my best friend now pls
  • I love Inception, have watched it multiple times.

It is a world I enjoy being in.
  • It's a great, imaginative and spectacular flick. Interstellar too, but has real emotion roped in.

Love is the answer. It's real reg.
  • LOVE IS REAL YOU FAGGOTS
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I mean wtf Nolan this ending credit music.

• legaldinho wrote:
    It's a great, imaginative and spectacular flick. Interstellar too, but has real emotion roped in. Love is the answer. It's real reg.
    Shit, meant Interstellar.
    I do like Inception as well for largely the same reasons.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I watched Dunkirk tonight and really liked it.

giphy.gif
  • Is there more to it than "WE'VE GOT TO BOATS UP THE SOLJESS!" "FUCK MY LEGS BLEW UP!"
    ?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Particularly not-so-ace-combat-stay-still-fucking-Luftwaffe. And the moment
    Spoiler:
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Is there more to it than "WE'VE GOT TO BOATS UP THE SOLJESS!" "FUCK MY LEGS BLEW UP!" ?

I found it very grounded to the extent it's refreshingly void of any politics (ze Germans are just called The Enemy for 99% of the film and you never hear a word of German). It really is a film about several hundred thousand men stuck on a beach who will die within the week. Proceed OUR BRAVE BOYS drowning and being blown up in a completely impartial manner for a films worth.
  • I saw a review that said the film "lacked a real villain" and that "home was so close, that it removed any sense of peril. It was a short enough distance that the soldiers should have just swam back."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I have trouble elucidating my enthusiasm generally but this was a good look at people being under duress on a French beach by bad foreign people.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I saw a review that said the film "lacked a real villain" and that "home was so close, that it removed any sense of peril. It was a short enough distance that the soldiers should have just swam back."

A real review or just some Joe blog? Cos that ridic.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It does lack a real villain in convenshun-land though. I can't think of a WW2 film in this situation that makes ze Germans such an off-screen thing for most of it but still feel like a snapping jaw.
  • To elaborate a bit, my major concern is that it is an extended Private Ryan beach scene in reverse. probably with some plucky kid from the docks being the movie's hero.

I could be way off the mark, in fact I hope I am.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I saw a review that said the film "lacked a real villain" and that "home was so close, that it removed any sense of peril. It was a short enough distance that the soldiers should have just swam back."

but harry styles was totes fab he's soooo dreamy
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    omg dunkirk actually happened how did harry end up there
  • To the weird things thread!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The Prestige is not only Nolan's best film it's a best film.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Are you mixing up your definite/indefinite articles after too many cocktails, hair?
  • I do like The Prestige but not as much as Inter, ception. 
    It does get Bowie-nus points for the cameo though.

I should probably stop asking about Dunkirk as one of the things I like about Nolan's films is that I rarely know much going in (bar Batmans). I feel like he must retain more control on trailers than some other directors.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Are you mixing up your definite/indefinite articles after too many cocktails, hair?

Am pissed yeah
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Will probably see Dunkirk tonight. Not expecting a great deal, but the wife really wants to go and there's not much else on.

Don't think there's a Nolan film that I think is really amazing, but Dark Knight, Memento, Prestige, Inception, and Insomnia are all a good standard. Perhaps Memento stands out, I dunno.

First Batman was decent, Interstellar was meh (I probably cried, but that's not hard to manipulate), Dark Knight Rises was garbage.
  • Interstellar wasn't particularly bad, it was just extremely disappointing. Complete meh of a film.

Inception
    The Dark Knight
    Prestige
  • I've waxed lyrical about The Prestige before on here, but it's one of the greatest films of the 2000s. So much craft, artistry, technique and detail which is only revealed upon repeated viewings. Every frame matters and not a single bloated line or scene is in evidence. Sublime.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Might have to watch it again. I think I was watching it for the ending, it being the period for twist films and someone had mentioned it prior to my watching.

I'd agree with Gav, though I'd probably put Dark Knight just a smidge above Inception, having watched them both quite a bit.

I've watched Interstellar twice now and, despite not being as disappointed as my first viewing, it still quite a vacuous film I thought.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    djchump wrote:

First glance I thought this was a Thai re-imagining of Trainspotting.
  • Triple Threat. Fuck yeah.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Triple Threat. Fuck yeah.

Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!