Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Sure I'm late to the party but finally watched IT last night. As I read the book a year ago a lot of things are fresh in my mind still. Overall I enjoyed it a lot, which doesn't happy often with book adaptations and certainly not with ones of this length and again Stephen King adaptations. There is a lot to like here and here are the spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • LWL decided the person to review Blade Runner 2049 would be somebody who finds the first 'overrated'.

I subscribe to this mag but they really are a bunch of twats.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • davyK wrote:
    I have the super-de-duper tin boxed special edition of BR that came out a few years ago on DVD. Comes with art cards, a hologram of a film frame frame, keyring etc....
    I have this too,one of the few DVDs I have left.I dont think I ever took the DVDS out to actually play though. Commentaries any cop?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    LWL decided the person to review Blade Runner 2049 would be somebody who finds the first 'overrated'.

I subscribe to this mag but they really are a bunch of twats.

It's a rotten mag. Get a sight and sound sub.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    three1ne wrote:
    LWL decided the person to review Blade Runner 2049 would be somebody who finds the first 'overrated'. I subscribe to this mag but they really are a bunch of twats.

I thought you liked Little White Lies not long ago? Am I remembering wrong or did something change?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    three1ne wrote:
    LWL decided the person to review Blade Runner 2049 would be somebody who finds the first 'overrated'. I subscribe to this mag but they really are a bunch of twats.

I thought you liked Little White Lies not long ago? Am I remembering wrong or did something change?
    You are remembering very wrong. I've also had a bee in my bonnet due to them being dicks when I asked them for help on my uni dissertation but I still don't rate the magazine
  • Did they tell you to do your own fucking homework?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have the super-de-duper tin boxed special edition of BR that came out a few years ago on DVD. Comes with art cards, a hologram of a film frame frame, keyring etc....
    I have this too,one of the few DVDs I have left.I dont think I ever took the DVDS out to actually play though. Commentaries any cop?

Can't remember! Think I started listening to one but found myself wanting to watch the film as I hadn't see it in years.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Did they tell you to do your own fucking homework?

I now have a mental image of Reg joining the forum and posting a questionnaire.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    Did they tell you to do your own fucking homework?

I now have a mental image of Reg joining the forum and posting a questionnaire.

I asked them for a two line quote I wanted to get exact r.e. a film from my uni email account, and they sent me a link to the back order issue with a very snarky response of "even students can save up to afford our magazine."
  • I've never even heard of them.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You should probably do some fucking homework then.
  • I shall send them an email immediately.
  • To do their own homework?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Whoever I get in secret santa is getting a sight and sound sub
  • I had a full set of the first few years copies of Little White Lies. Stopped buying long before they disappeared up their own arses, and sold the set on eBay for a tidy sum.
  • I bought them for a while, stopped not long after The Master one came out. Good mag at times, reviewers are very entrenched in 'film twitter' which has its issues, but not fair to tarnish the whole mag based on a few bad writers. They put me on to a lot of other writers, mostly women, which I like. I don't care that it isn't Sight and Sound, because that already exists and functions how I want it too, LWL was just an attractive luxury purchase with good design, fun themes, an the occasional well written piece. Trying to measure their need to be unique with stupid online only reviews to get #numbers is frustrating though, and ultimately stopped me caring about a bunch of their reviewers. I still like the rating system the use, because it's a good way to measure the stages of a film release in your head. I am also professionally jealous of one of their writers whose linked in CV basically goes: part time job, editing SkinnyCine, full time LWL writer.
  • They were much better in print. The web and social media have ruined LWL.
  • I didn't even know they were online.
  • Pretty sure it says it all over the mag
  • I haven't bought one in a long time, which may well have contributed to the knowledge gap.
  • Just saw the new Blade Runner film. No expectations going in. Highest praise coming out.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I'm saying nothing more til others have seen it, other than that it is really good. 

I'll be thinking about it for a long time.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • ....wow.So the hype is real.....I have to say I'm utterly shocked. Delighted, but shocked.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Watching tonight. So excite.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • This afternoon for me.
  • ....wow.So the hype is real.....I have to say I'm utterly shocked. Delighted, but shocked.

Villeneuve has probably surpassed Ridley Scott by now. Not specifically referencing this film, but the collection of Arrival and Sicario at least demonstrate he is a brilliant director. 

He is on an upward trajectory. 

I couldn't say the last time I walked out of a theatre as impressed as I am today, like this. Maybe Pan's Labyrinth.
  • ...and yet I'm still not excited.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!