Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Oooo, is that available in torrent land now? Been looking for that for ages.

Edit: @DS
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    8 Mile was decent.
  • Death of Stalin lads, get on it

Yassss.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Also got to see the Oscar live shorts both animated and live action. Animated ones didn't really float me boat, but the live action ones were great, especially one about a bus ride in Africa, and an Australian comedy about a psychiatrist that was some flat up monty python.
    Went to the documentary shorts last night, only saw 3 out of 5 (we had to drive about an hour or more to get home), thinking of catching the other two next weekend. What was it you didn't like about the animated ones?

First one Traffic Stop, HBO documentary about an African American schoolteacher who was stopped for speeding but it escalates into an arrest. They showed the actual dash cam footage, the lawsuit is still ongoing against the officer, who is still patrolling the same streets in Austin, Texas.

Second one was Edith + Eddie, a love story between a just married 96 and 95 year old, after winning and sharing a $5000,- price in the lottery.
    This all turns sour when her kids can't agree about the house she paid for and still lives in. A guardian from outside steps in, but doesn't do anything in favor of the old couple. Really hurt to see how normal it is for people to walk over some others.

Last one we saw is Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405, which is about Mindy Alper. She's an artist with some horrible mental health history, and gets a chance to tell her story in this one. Best one out of the three I've seen.

On the way back to the car B was talking with his colleague about some of the trailers (very European orientated, one about Ukraine, a remaster of an old French movie) and he thought all of them looked good. Colleague replied with, "yeah, think I even recognized some of the faces. Must be their first movies or something"
    I was listening to that as it seemed a bit off, then realized he was talking about the Wes Anderson movie trailers, which were shown after the main trailers as they'll have a program which is gonna show them in March. Yes, he works with some well known actors.
    Oh American people, you're continent is so big yet your world is so small.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There was one of the animated shorts I liked, called Dear Basketball which was stylish as hell and based on the letter Kobe Bryant wrote announcing his retirement. Two I'd seen, Lou (Pixar) and Revolting Rhymes and the latter was just a half hour episode. Garden Party is just grad students showing off their tech, not much more. Negative Space I kind of liked but the ending didn't know whether it was a joke or not.
  • I watched Calvary at the weekend and think I enjoyed it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @reg, just looked up those titles, I haven't seen any of them so it might still be worth it. Seems to have some French stuff, I remember that was usually at least visually interesting. They have some good schools.

Will see what's still being shown next weekend.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Rutger Hauer shares my same feelings about BR2049
    “I sniff and scratch at it. It looks great but I struggle to see why that film was necessary. I just think if something is so beautiful, you should just leave it alone and make another film. Don’t lean with one elbow on the success that was earned over 30 years in the underground.

In many ways, ‘Blade Runner’ wasn’t about the replicants, it was about what does it mean to be human? It’s like ‘E.T.’ But I’m not certain what the question was in the second ‘Blade Runner.’ It’s not a character-driven movie and there’s no humor, there’s no love, there’s no soul. You can see the homage to the original. But that’s not enough to me. I knew that wasn’t going to work. But I think it’s not important what I think.”

HE GOES ON TO SEE HE LOOKS FOR "HARD BALLS" IN CINEMA SO THATS TWO THINGS WE HAVE IN COMMON
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm glad old Rutters felt that Blind Fury was necessary.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    tenor.gif

I mean that's a good movie. MAYBE I DO LOVE HARD BALLS
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    BR2049 is as close to a masterpiece as big budget mainstream cinema has come in a long while.

The original is still there. I never buy into 'why' when it comes to sequels, just forget it exists. Likewise remakes. I adore Tremors, it has 18 sequels and they're all shit. partridgeshrug
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I never buy into why always a sequel. The original exists. It's self contained. Make a new idea. #partridge
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just call it Knife Walker or summat and rename a couple of the characters. Done.

Can't agree with the last bit either. Best director currently in Hollywood making a follow up to a much loved franchise is pure wank fantasy material, and he surpassed it for me (not a surprise considering my dislike of the original). Make a new idea is an often tread line I don't really like seeing.

Its possibly the greatest looking film of all time but its lacking a bit of depth, something I can easily forgive considering Arrival, Incendies, Enemy and Polytechnique are all masterpieces.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Knife Walker is that Oscar pistorius movie
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m currently watching Altered Carbon, which may be the best Blade Runner of the lot.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just call it Knife Walker or summat and rename a couple of the characters. Done.

Can't agree with the last bit either. Best director currently in Hollywood making a follow up to a much loved franchise is pure wank fantasy material, and he surpassed it for me (not a surprise considering my dislike of the original). Make a new idea is an often tread line I don't really like seeing.

Its possibly the greatest looking film of all time but its lacking a bit of depth, something I can easily forgive considering Arrival, Incendies, Enemy and Polytechnique are all masterpieces.

Stealth edit. Your last bit I don't get? It isn't deep but that's okay because other films are?
  • I thought it lacked boxing training montages, but that's okay because Rocky IV has some great ones.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I’m currently watching Altered Carbon, which may be the best Blade Runner of the lot.

Finished that at the weekend, really enjoyed it. Fell in love with Ortega a little.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Finished that at the weekend, really enjoyed it. Fell in love with Ortega a little.

Have you read the books? They’re well worth picking up.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No but I'll have to make an effort. Averaging about two pap historical fiction books a year, while on holiday. Not good enough.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Rewatching the Harry Potters with my daughter and we’re both enjoying them immensely - there’s so much crammed into each story it’s like gorging through a Wizard’s buffet. Maybe not the right superlative but it’s 8:41 and I’m taking a dump.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Have you brought the knife?
  • That Scott Adkins movie Close Range on Netflix was.....let down by some terrible directing/editing. Had some decentish action though.

That bit:
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Have you brought the knife?

I don’t think it would wash with the boys in blue.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • That Scott Adkins movie Close Range on Netflix was.....let down by some terrible directing/editing. Had some decentish action though. That bit:
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, it's a very short 1:25 or so movie, and could have been a lot shorter. Action was good though.
  • djchump wrote:
    That Scott Adkins movie Close Range on Netflix was.....let down by some terrible directing/editing. Had some decentish action though. That bit:
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, it's a very short 1:25 or so movie, and could have been a lot shorter. Action was good though.
    Yup, Id love to see Adkins in a well made Hard Target style action romp.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Definitely my new favourite Mexican dish.
    Get schwifty.
  • djchump wrote:
    That Scott Adkins movie Close Range on Netflix was.....let down by some terrible directing/editing. Had some decentish action though. That bit:
    Spoiler:
    Yup, Id love to see Adkins in a well made Hard Target style action romp.
    Such as Hard Target 2?  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5241578/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Well, maybe strike the "well made" bit, dunno, haven't seen it yet. Baddie's no Lance Henriksen, and Rhona Mitra's no Yancy Butler, but Scott will kick some faces, so there's that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!