jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I must have no soul as I found the majority of the comedy terrible. Hemsworth is good as Thor though.

It wasn't terrible but some of it didn't belong in that film.
  • I watched What We Do in the Shadows this week on the back of Waititi's Thor.  Enjoyed it.  Still think Wilderpeople is his best work though.

Got halfway through Stalin tonight too, seems tight.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Mother! Enjoyed it, but that’s probably because I’d watch JL painting a room for an hour and a half no problem.
    Things can only get better.
  • I went back to Bram Stoker’s Dracula over a few nights this week. It’s really only tolerable in small doses. Worse than I’d remembered, it’s laughable.

I assume that people on IMDb giving it more than 3/10 are trolls. Or morons.
  • I must have no soul as I found the majority of the comedy terrible. Hemsworth is good as Thor though.

I’m the same.

Usually like that type of humour but it felt really forced in this one, and nearly every joke fell flat for me. Delivery felt unnatural around the board (with a few exceptions, like Hemsworth) but special ire must be held for the terrible, terrible delivery of almost every joke and line by Ruffalo. I usually like the dude, but fuck me he was bad in this.
  • Loved his entrance to the finale though.
  • You mean where he
    Spoiler:
  • Yup. Got a guffaw from me.
  • Ragnarok is Marvel laughing at themselves I think, which was very much needed. There has been funny Marvel movies before but this one was just silly
  • Ragnarok is Marvel laughing at themselves I think, which was very much needed. There has been funny Marvel movies before but this one was just silly

They should go all in on the next one and get Joel Schumacher in to direct. Massive hulk nipples and a musical number.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Would watch.

I have done a 180 on Batman & Robin. I now think it is brilliant, intentionally or otherwise.
  • Yeah, terrible film really but entertaining in it's shitness. Zane's campiest camp villian is gold.
  • I might watch Batman & Robin at some point then, always avoided it.  Quite a few people thought Forever was good, and I hated that, two fairly decent villains aside.  Plus surely Clooney is a decent Bruce Wayne.
  • No. Don't do it. It is quite literally Hollywood at its very worst.
  • I'd rather watch Karate Kid III than Karate Kid II.  Terrible tends to be far more entertaining than poor :)

I'll blame Live anyway.
  • At least drink heavily then.
  • Beers are a necessity.

I would rather watch B&R than Batsoup, now we have the Nolan trilogy there isn't the annoyance that B&R is a wasted opportunity either.
    It is Batman Forever turned up to 11 though.
  • Well The Seventh Seal was terribly dated. Couldn't get through it.

Redeeming it with the cinematic masterpiece that is 13 Hours.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Watched Mute tonight. 

It's certainly not good, but I wouldn't say a total car crash. 

There are some interesting ideas and visuals. An Amish guy in a future world is a fun idea, but not enough is done with it. I generally bought into neo-Berlin, despite being a blatant Blade Runner pastiche. Maybe if BR2 hadn't just come out it would have felt a little fresher?

The main guy is dull but an imposing figure. Almost Statham-like in silhouette and I could easily imagine that if it were the big man himself, going around kicking people instead of just sort of standing there and looking morose, it would have been a totally serviceable one if his.

The two surgeons are the most interesting things going on here, with the blonde one especially making for a suitably creepy brand of psychopath. Their relationship and unsettling rapport is the best thing about the film.  

Think I read that it started off as a Lock Stock style gangster thing without the futuristic stuff. It does feel like that and I'd say to be fair to Jones its better than anything I've ever seen of Richies. 

It's really not good. It's quite dull and tonally all over the place, but to put it in a Netflix perspective, I'd place it way above the god-awful Bright and Cloverfield 3 for sure.

Maybe a 5/10?

By the by, this is precisely what you lot keep asking for isn't it? Small "interesting" movies by directors with a singular vision "like they used to make" before Marvel ruined everything. 

Well here it is - enjoy!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You don't like this rancid cake? Have some dogshit. You don't like it? Well I guess the rancid cake is fantastic after all. Reminds me of American politics.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Without even considering it as a superhero movie, I do think
    Spoiler:
    may be the best joke in cinema last year and is pure Waititi (pure west gif here pls)

Agreed, laughed so much I spat drink over myself.

I thought Ragnarok was the best comedy action I’ve seen at the cinema in years. I’m very pickey when it comes to comedy, tend to find most modern “comedies” raise one or two chuckles from me at best but this had me laughing from the opening scene right through to the final post credits sequence. Loved it

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • You mean where he
    Spoiler:
    djchump wrote:
    Yup. Got a guffaw from me.

Fair enough - I didn’t work for me, but I’m glad a lot of people liked it.
  • Kow wrote:
    You don't like this rancid cake? Have some dogshit. You don't like it? Well I guess the rancid cake is fantastic after all. Reminds me of American politics.

I wonder if it could be that simply belonging to a particular genre or the specific circumstances around how a film came to be, doesn't necessarily tell you if it's any good or not? 

Perhaps we should go so far as to try judging them on their own individual merits rather than painting them all with one broad poo-covered brush?

No, that's just silly talk.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well you seem to be the one doing that so fire away.
  • Kow wrote:
    Well you seem to be the one doing that so fire away.

I'm doing what?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Painting stuff with one brush. Don't like Marvel films, this is a film for you.
  • Ah.

I think I was actually attempting a play on the way comic book movies are thought about here where they're lumped into a single category and one bad example is used to judge them all. 

It was very clever.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I doubt it. Most comic book films are lumped into one category because they are in fact all very similar. I know because I've seen them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Maybe you’ve accidentally watched the same one several times?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!