Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • So, REC2. Still a lot to like, but they really didn't need to go down the route they did.

A bit iffy that but I thought it held together well at least. I don't think any film has captured 'blind' terror as well as the nightvision scenes in the REC films.
  • The original REC was one of the scariest experiences I have had at the cinema. I had no idea what to expect from the film and the final fifteen mintues was terrifying. The sequel was not as scary but still enjoyable and it had some very nice moments. I just didn't like the switch in the middle.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • daviedigi wrote:
    ponyo were excellent and introduced my daughter to subtitles, wich she likes. didn't end up watching that ghibli one that were like the 'little people'.

I thought Ponyo was a great return to form after a questionable couple of years of mediocrity.
    I havent watched Arietty yet but will do, now you lot of prompted my memory.
    Years back on a trip to Hong Kong I bought a large DVD Boxset collection of Ghibli stuff, all subtitled, and all copied with fan subs thrown on the disc, the quality was actually pretty good and it had some of their lesser known works on it too.
    like... Only Yesterday. Whisper of the Heart, Pom Poko and a short film called On Your Mark.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I have Che parts 1 and 2 recorded of the telly box, may watch one tonight and one tommorow. Are they any good?
    They're watchable, but a bit underwhelming really. Rather superficial.

Jon Lee Anderson's hefty Che biography is far more interesting and in depth.
  • Prometheus question time. Is it or isn't it an Alien prequel? People are being vague about it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It is.

EDIT: I believe it's set thirty years prior to the events in Alien.
    Get schwifty.
  • Cool, the trailer does look excellent. And no Predator in sight.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Day full of horror for me, me thinks.

Will post opinions.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    You're up early.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Lawl and such.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Watching Sunshine for the sixth time.

The soundtrack...gorgeous.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I have that soundtrack and it is excellent.  Shame the film falls apart in the third act.
    Get schwifty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've always stated that I like the third act, but then I'm a sucker for such things.
  • I like the third act too. After hearing people slate it I was pleasantly surprised, might have lowered my expectations somewhat. Thanks for that you grumpy übercritics.
  • Sunshine is quality. Can't remember the soundtrack, but it's due a re-watching pretty soon I reckon.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • djchump wrote:
    AI was great until Spielberg got all self-indulgent with the ending.  If you stop watching 30 mins from the end it's a very good film.
    Exactly what I thought as well - there was an obvious end point that would have been great - I blamed Spielberg for that shitty ending as well, but apparently it was Kubrick's intention, not some shit that Spielberg tacked on.  My respect for Kubrick took a crit when I heard that - maybe if he'd been alive to see the edit he'd have chopped it out as the turd sandwich that it is, but maybe not, who knows.

I actually quite liked the ending, i realise i must be the only person in the world who does mind! :)
  • I'm about to watch Hereafter. I've not heard anything good about it, but Clint has racked up enough good will for me to sit through a couple of stinkers.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • Watched Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai, the new Miike movie.

About as different from 13 Assassins as it could be, a lot less action heavy. Still a good story and the main actor was excellent. 

Great ending too
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • It's a remake innit?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Rewatched Sunshine last week, gorgeous film, still not a mega fan of the final act, however it grates less and less
    Also watched Face again, still love it and as far as soundtracks go it's definitely got one of the best
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's a remake innit?
    Tis, like 13 Assassins.

Was released in 3D, although I can see what that would have added to it
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    So I'm watching A.I.  Whatever happened to Haley Joel Osment?  Did he quit acting?

Also, Teddy ftw.
    Get schwifty.
  • There's an advert playing in the cinema just now that uses the Sunshine soundtrack.  Hard to not just get caught up in the music.
  • RasDam wrote:
    I'm about to watch Hereafter. I've not heard anything good about it, but Clint has racked up enough good will for me to sit through a couple of stinkers.

Its pretty good but probably Eastwood's worst film. The kids acting in particular is awful.
  • g.man wrote:
    Kiki's is indeed full of win. regards g.man

Totally forgot about Kiki.

Lovely, lovely movie.

It captures the feeling of flight better than any film I can think of.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Rewatched Sunshine last week, gorgeous film, still not a mega fan of the final act, however it grates less and less
    I found the same thing when I saw it again recently. Really should get it on Blu-Ray someday.

it's always going cheap

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Hereafter was alright, nothing special. I didn't feel much of an attachment to any of the characters, which is really odd for a movie directed by Clint. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. I've been pissy all day.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Strippers v Werewolves.

Yay blood, tits, shit make up, shit acting, shit shit shit shit. AND MARTIN FUCKING KEMP.

And him out The Bill.

Watch it.
  • I am watching Quarantine.

I have not seen Rec

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    For shame.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!